Salary Cap: Pittsburgh Penguins Salary Cap Thread: Sugar "KANE" Turns Into 'Rymes with' M, M, M...My Sharona

Status
Not open for further replies.

Gurglesons

Dec 18, 2009
San Diego, CA
last-train-tocool.blogspot.com
Correlation doesn't equal causation. Giordano is a quality top 4 LHD, and I think bringing him in to play with Marino would result in a better top 4 than bringing in an RHD to stabilize Matheson.

Not my #1 priority this deadline, but if we're looking to improve the blueline he'd be on my short list.

I imagine a team will pay pretty good for him. He is a solid player, but him and Pettersson seem pretty similar tbh.

I agree he’s a perfect partner for Marino.

Tender Rip

Wears long pants
Feb 12, 2007
Shanghai, China
I’m with Sleepy.

It would be nice to play some games with a largely full roster before deciding where and what to spend.

It would also be nice if Zohorna got a few more games. Last seasons version made us better and added something we had too little of. Too much of a limited outing against the Sharks to say anything, but clearly he didn’t hurt and he added an apple.

Otherwise, if Zucker and Riikola can be traded/let go, and we can get a 6D and a backup goalie, that’d be a meaningful start… and maybe end.
I still don’t like going GCR again for the playoffs, but it would be difficult to get a physical guy who can play with Sid, unles they gamble on Kane… which I understand the arguments against even if I would do it.

Empoleon8771

Aug 25, 2015
Redmond, WA
Yeah, I've been as critical against Zohorna as probably anyone here, but I was really happy with what I saw from him tonight and really think he deserves a good amount of games to show what he can do. He stunk in the pre-season, but it seems like that was due to whatever illness he dealt with and is back to his normal self.

I think a bottom-6 of O'Connor-Rodrigues-Heinen and Zohorna-Blueger-McGinn for next year looks awesome personally.

SEALBound

Fancy Gina Carano
Sponsor
Jun 13, 2010
I’m with Sleepy.

It would be nice to play some games with a largely full roster before deciding where and what to spend.

It would also be nice if Zohorna got a few more games. Last seasons version made us better and added something we had too little of. Too much of a limited outing against the Sharks to say anything, but clearly he didn’t hurt and he added an apple.

Otherwise, if Zucker and Riikola can be traded/let go, and we can get a 6D and a backup goalie, that’d be a meaningful start… and maybe end.
I still don’t like going GCR again for the playoffs, but it would be difficult to get a physical guy who can play with Sid, unles they gamble on Kane… which I understand the arguments against even if I would do it.

I agree that we need to get healthy for a while before we make any moves. But Zucker+Riiko for a backup and a #6 seems too underwhelming. I'd rather have Zucker on the 3rd line with Carter in the playoffs than have an upgrade on Rudwedel.

I would be more interested in a wing for wing swap with Zucker. I think that would be more useful for us.

SEALBound

Fancy Gina Carano
Sponsor
Jun 13, 2010
Yeah, I've been as critical against Zohorna as probably anyone here, but I was really happy with what I saw from him tonight and really think he deserves a good amount of games to show what he can do. He stunk in the pre-season, but it seems like that was due to whatever illness he dealt with and is back to his normal self.

I think a bottom-6 of O'Connor-Rodrigues-Heinen and Zohorna-Blueger-McGinn for next year looks awesome personally.

Yeah, I don't see a reason for Boyle to touch the ice for us again unless they reeeeeeeeally like Boyle's PK'ing.

Dipsy Doodle

Rent A Barn
May 28, 2006
I imagine a team will pay pretty good for him. He is a solid player, but him and Pettersson seem pretty similar tbh.

I agree he’s a perfect partner for Marino.

Yeah that's my main concern.

I think we have bigger needs and Giordano would probably cost a 1st plus. I'd much rather add an elite winger if it came down to it.

ronduguayshair

Oct 23, 2017
  1. Upgrade on DeSmith
  2. Upgrade on Ruhwedel

While I wouldn't necessarily disagree this, are we upgrading Ruhwedel based on this year's play or based on name recognition and past seasons?

I think Ruhwedel has been solid this year. I think a better way to put it is to acquire depth at the #6 slot. Let him play himself (#2) out of the lineup. Chances are a change with make Matheson worse also.

Reactions: Buddy Bizarre

Randy Butternubs

Mar 15, 2008
Morningside
While I wouldn't necessarily disagree this, are we upgrading Ruhwedel based on this year's play or based on name recognition and past seasons?

I think Ruhwedel has been solid this year. I think a better way to put it is to acquire depth at the #6 slot. Let him play himself (#2) out of the lineup. Chances are a change with make Matheson worse also.

Both. Should/when Letang/Marino get injured, I don't want Ruhwedel getting more minutes. He's fine as is, but once that eventual injury occurs we don't really have another RHD I'd be comfortable with in the top 4.

Reactions: Peat

Pens x

Oct 8, 2016
For backup goaltending. Seems like Halak or Craig Andersen..... As far as UFAs at the end of the season.
We need a back up before the playoffs if we have any intention to compete this season. We’ve needed one for several years.

Buddy Bizarre

Jul 9, 2021
Both. Should/when Letang/Marino get injured, I don't want Ruhwedel getting more minutes. He's fine as is, but once that eventual injury occurs we don't really have another RHD I'd be comfortable with in the top 4.

Ideally, yea, but how many teams have such depth that if any of their top few D go down, they really want their #6 taking more mins?

Peat

Jun 14, 2016
Ideally, yea, but how many teams have such depth that if any of their top few D go down, they really want their #6 taking more mins?

Not many, but it's still worth pursuing as it shouldn't cost too much and is potentially a big improvement.

Goalie_Bob

1992 Vezina (2nd)
Dec 30, 2005
Pittsburgh
We need a back up before the playoffs if we have any intention to compete this season. We’ve needed one for several years.

Aka, who they could trade for that is a UFA at the end of the season. No commitment past this season.

Halak and Andersen are the only two guys that are playing anywhere decent this season and will be UFAs and are experienced players. Browse - CapFriendly - NHL Salary Caps

Even if I look at guys that are a UFA in two years, it doesn't get much better when you consider guys that will actually be available. Browse - CapFriendly - NHL Salary Caps

Reactions: Buddy Bizarre

Buddy Bizarre

Jul 9, 2021
Aka, who they could trade for that is a UFA at the end of the season. No commitment past this season.

Halak and Andersen are the only two guys that are playing anywhere decent this season and will be UFAs and are experienced players. Browse - CapFriendly - NHL Salary Caps

Even if I look at guys that are a UFA in two years, it doesn't get much better when you consider guys that will actually be available. Browse - CapFriendly - NHL Salary Caps

Yup- Halak is the only person I'd consider who is an obvious upgrade over CDS.

That begs the question: why hasn't Halak signed with anyone yet? Somethings off because he's a solid tendy.

Victor Z

Trade me right f**king now!
Sponsor
Apr 10, 2018
The Burgh
  1. Upgrade on DeSmith
  2. Upgrade on Ruhwedel

We can probably upgrade on Vanilla Ruhwedel with Friedman right now, though Sully hates the guy (OMG he took a penalty during the preseason while sticking up for a teammate!!!) so it'll never happen. Friedman's is basically a VERY poor man's version of Ian Cole, in case Sully needs another reason to hate him.

If #6 D is the worst issue the team has then they're doing pretty well. Freidman may not be the answer, but I'd sure try him out for a while before giving up a pair of #2 picks for whoever this year's version of Douglas Murray is.

Reactions: Dominance

AuroraBorealis

Back-to-back hater
Oct 16, 2018
Vancouver, British Columbia
ERod has 5 of our 14 PPG's. Considering we're 27th in the league, how do you remove him from that unit when Malkin returns?
If Sullivan chooses not to, he'll have to have a difficult conversation with Rust.
Think it would be best to just have them fight over that spot. Let the best man win.

Reactions: Dominance

Buddy Bizarre

Jul 9, 2021
We can probably upgrade on Vanilla Ruhwedel with Friedman right now, though Sully hates the guy (OMG he took a penalty during the preseason while sticking up for a teammate!!!) so it'll never happen. Friedman's is basically a VERY poor man's version of Ian Cole, in case Sully needs another reason to hate him.

If #6 D is the worst issue the team has then they're doing pretty well. Freidman may not be the answer, but I'd sure try him out for a while before giving up a pair of #2 picks for whoever this year's version of Douglas Murray is.

I think your position is a bit extreme. I don't think Friedman is anywhere near Cole (even being a poor man's version).
But I do think he and Ruh should be splitting time more often. Just like Boyle should be given some nights off.

ronduguayshair

Oct 23, 2017

Please explain the comparison between Friedman and Ian Cole. Maybe I'm really stupid but I don't understand.

gdsmack267

Sep 11, 2010
Rochester, NY
Whats the situation with Rask? He's supposed to be back right? Would Boston move him? Too risky?

NVM just read tweets from Dec 30th that boston is brining him back.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad