Salary Cap: Pittsburgh Penguins Salary Cap Thread: Sugar "KANE" Turns Into 'Rymes with' M, M, M...My Sharona

Status
Not open for further replies.

Empoleon8771

Aug 25, 2015
Redmond, WA
Yeah that makes no sense.

Why does it make no sense? Rust is the clearly superior player plus you'd be getting an actual return for Kapanen (in theory), as opposed to just letting Rust walk.

If the team's goal is to remain competitive for the rest of the Crosby and Malkin era while not hemorrhaging assets, that seems like a pretty easy way to do that, no?

3ladesof5teel

Feb 20, 2012
Giordano was brought up in the trade forum. I would love to see the guy here for a playoff run and think he brings alot of what we need on the backend

Could we somehow make him work?

Gurglesons

Dec 18, 2009
San Diego, CA
last-train-tocool.blogspot.com
Why does it make no sense? Rust is the clearly superior player plus you'd be getting an actual return for Kapanen (in theory), as opposed to just letting Rust walk.

If the team's goal is to remain competitive for the rest of the Crosby and Malkin era while not hemorrhaging assets, that seems like a pretty easy way to do that, no?

I don’t see a huge difference between Rust and Kapanen at 5v5 to be honest. Rust just gets the benefit of being consistently strapped to Malkin and Crosby the last few years.

Honestly, I prefer Kapanen at 4 mil x 6 to Rust at 6 mil x 6 because of Kapanen’s ability to carry a bottom six line.

Reactions: BillyOcean

3ladesof5teel

Feb 20, 2012
I still want to see a healthy Kap and Geno. Some of what they both were doing last year together was awesome to watch. I know much of it was Geno but Kap was doing things that would wow you as well

Empoleon8771

Aug 25, 2015
Redmond, WA
I'd trade Rust at the deadline and Kap in the off-season before committing to either long-term. :laugh:

Why would you decide to trade Rust at the deadline as the team is globetrotting with a majority of their lineup out?

That is a downright slap in the face of Crosby, Malkin and Letang.

I don’t see a huge difference between Rust and Kapanen at 5v5 to be honest. Rust just gets the benefit of being consistently strapped to Malkin and Crosby the last few years.

Honestly, I prefer Kapanen at 4 mil x 6 to Rust at 6 mil x 6 because of Kapanen’s ability to carry a bottom six line.

Oh yeah if there is that much of a price difference between the two, I would keep Kapanen. I was just assuming Rust would come in at like $5.5 million and Kapanen would come in at like $5 million, so I wasn't considering a huge price difference between the two.

If the prices are close to each other, I flip Kapanen for assets and re-sign Rust. If there is a sizable difference in their next salaries, I let Rust walk and keep Kapanen. "Sizable" difference can mean either "Rust is getting an asinine payment in UFA" or "Kapanen wants a reasonable deal to extend".

Gurglesons

Dec 18, 2009
San Diego, CA
last-train-tocool.blogspot.com
Why would you decide to trade Rust at the deadline as the team is globetrotting with a majority of their lineup out?

Oh yeah if there is that much of a price difference between the two, I would keep Kapanen. I was just assuming Rust would come in at like $5.5 million and Kapanen would come in at like $5 million, so I wasn't considering a huge price difference between the two.

Kapanen at 5 million seems like the high end especially given Hextall’s thriftiness with pending RFAs both here and in Philly.

If he asks for that much I guess I’d trade him and resign Rust. I don’t trust Rust aging well tbh.

DrDangles

Mar 1, 2013
-Malkin at $7.5 million AAV (which I honestly think is an overestimate for him)
-Letang at $8.5 million AAV
-Rust at $5.5 million AAV
-Kapanen at $5 million AAV
-Rodrigues at $3 million AAV
-Heinen at $2.5 million AAV
-O'Connor, POJ and Friedman at their QOs

Are you assuming Geno and Tanger are both signing for 3 years?

There's no doubt Tanger is worth that in the short term, and he could probably get a bit more in FA over 3 years. I'm really hoping the saving grace might be him signing for longer than Sid and Geno. Ideally I think it would be cool if Geno & Tanger land at 7.1M and 5.8M with Tanger signing for 5 years and doing a couple victory laps with the C on his chest after Sid and Geno hang them up.

Thats my pipe dream anyway, thanks for coming to my TED talk.

Reactions: Dominance

Jacob

as seen on TV
Feb 27, 2002
Is he still any good?
B88751FF-B36F-422B-92F9-A3D4B352BBB8.gif

Empoleon8771

Aug 25, 2015
Redmond, WA
Are you assuming Geno and Tanger are both signing for 3 years?

There's no doubt Tanger is worth that in the short term, and he could probably get a bit more in FA over 3 years. I'm really hoping the saving grace might be him signing for longer than Sid and Geno. Ideally I think it would be cool if Geno & Tanger land at 7.1M and 5.8M with Tanger signing for 5 years and doing a couple victory laps with the C on his chest after Sid and Geno hang them up.

Thats my pipe dream anyway, thanks for coming to my TED talk.

Malkin yes, but I assume Letang gets more than 3 years in term. I don't think you can get Letang to take a paycut, maybe you can get him for the same as what he's making now if you give him term, but I don't see any way he agrees to a discount when considering what he could get in UFA.

I think you can get Malkin for less than $7.5 million regardless of term, and you probably can get Letang at a minimal raise (up maybe $250k or so) if you give him enough term.

If Malkin would do 3x7 and Letang would do 5x7.5, I'd sign both of them immediately and be happy I could get them for $14.5 million total.

Big Friggin Dummy

Feb 22, 2019

If the prices are close to each other, I flip Kapanen for assets and re-sign Rust. If there is a sizable difference in their next salaries, I let Rust walk and keep Kapanen. "Sizable" difference can mean either "Rust is getting an asinine payment in UFA" or "Kapanen wants a reasonable deal to extend".
Because someone's gonna offer him a silly contract this summer, to the tune of like $30 million for 5 years, and I don't want it to be us. He's not exactly durable, will be 30 this summer, and has done f*** all in the post season since his 9pts in 23 games in 2017. :laugh:

So it's either let him walk for absolutely nothing after he inevitably does nothing in the playoffs again, or re-sign him to an albatross contract.

Reactions: Malkinstheman

66-30-33

Jan 24, 2006
Victoria, BC
Because someone's gonna offer him a silly contract this summer, to the tune of like $30 million for 5 years, and I don't want it to be us. He's not exactly durable, will be 30 this summer, and has done f*** all in the post season since his 9pts in 23 games in 2017. :laugh:

So it's either let him walk for absolutely nothing after he inevitably does nothing in the playoffs again, or re-sign him to an albatross contract.
JR should say screw it and offer JT.Miller for him 1 for 1. ;)

Better yet add Boeser for Kapanen. ;)

Big Friggin Dummy

Feb 22, 2019
JR should say screw it and offer JT.Miller for him 1 for 1. ;)

Better yet add Boeser for Kapanen. ;)
If only. The real bummer in JR's departure and subsequent hiring elsewhere is that he's probably so spiteful that he'll never make a trade with this club while he's employed. Shame, too, because he's a f***ing moron and ripe for fleecing.

66-30-33

Jan 24, 2006
Victoria, BC
If only. The real bummer in JR's departure and subsequent hiring elsewhere is that he's probably so spiteful that he'll never make a trade with this club while he's employed. Shame, too, because he's a f***ing moron and ripe for fleecing.
Thought he's Canucks GM because of Brian Burke? Well...interm GM.

Dipsy Doodle

Rent A Barn
May 28, 2006
Besides looking at stats how much of Gio do you actually watch? Gio was one of my guys for a few years so I watch him quite a bit. I think he would be a very solid acquisition at the deadline if available

I think he'd make a great target too, if the price was right. Solidify the top 4 anyway.

Dipsy Doodle

Rent A Barn
May 28, 2006
Why would we spend money on a LD?

Calgary got better when Gio was replaced with young talent.

We need to target a defensively sound RD that balances out Matheson. DeMelo type.

Correlation doesn't equal causation. Giordano is a quality top 4 LHD, and I think bringing him in to play with Marino would result in a better top 4 than bringing in an RHD to stabilize Matheson.

Not my #1 priority this deadline, but if we're looking to improve the blueline he'd be on my short list.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

• USA vs Sweden
    USA vs Sweden
    Wagers: 3
    Staked: $1,050.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Finland vs Czechia
    Finland vs Czechia