Salary Cap: Pittsburgh Penguins Salary Cap Thread: Spinning our Rud-wheels all summer long...

Status
Not open for further replies.

OnMyOwn

Worlds Apart
Sep 7, 2005
It would be nice to be on this side of a bidding war. Hopefully we get a D or C back for him.

Jag68Sid87

Sullivan gots to go!
Oct 1, 2003
Montreal, QC
Unless I misunderstood a thread on the main trade board, it sounds like the standing offer for Murray is from Edmonton and it's a one-for-one swap for Adam Larsson.

I really hope that is not the case, but if it is I do not blame Rutherford for not jumping at it.

I'd do Johnson and Murray for Larsson, but not straight up.

mpp9

Dec 5, 2010
Avs can’t trade for him yet. Tbh. I hope JR trades him quick. Last thing we need is CBUS or Andersen entering the market.

Unless the Avs go on a run and they're the highest bidder, I'd definitely be looking to get this done soon. Agreed.

Put the pressure on teams to make a decision.

Reactions: EVGENIMERLIN

molon labe

Jul 13, 2016
Florida
Gonna take a stab that the rumor was MAF being traded back to Pittsburgh? Care to expand at all?

Agreed, we need contributions from everyone. Its okay if your top 6 lines are your major producers...that what they are there for. But it can't be 45%-45%-5%-5% for line productions. What would be nice is if there comes a point where you can "demote" a guy like Zucker, Rust, or Kapanen to the 3rd line to boost 3rd line production but that also means having a bottom 6 wing contributing effectively in the top 6.

They've tried that. For the past few seasons guys have moved up and down the lineup (sans Sid/Geno) with little to no success. Our top wingers are frankly not good enough to carry a line by themselves - they typically rely on Sid/Geno (though that's not to say they're ONLY good because of them). A line with McCann, Hornqvist/whomever is solid on paper. After 3 seasons of feeling good about the roster and balance - it's time to call a spade a spade. This team has 2 offensive lines, 1 invisible line that they can't decide be defensive or offensive, and an above average defensive fourth line that might get a goal every 15 games in the regular season and maybe once or twice in an entire playoff.

My comment earlier was relating to the fact that this team need another creative C - not a hodgepodge of McCann/Bjugstad (vomit), Blueger etc with thoughts and prayers that it works. Our top 2 guys are still above average come playoffs and elite in the regular season - but are both susceptible to extreme defensive measures that we've seen over the past 3-5 seasons dating back to Guy Boucher. They're only getting slower and will only have a harder and harder time scoring/creating. So either we stick with that, then go defensive on the 3/4 lines and hope to win 2-1 hockey games (to which a coach like Boucher would be the best possible option) - or we go after more offense (even at the expense of individual defense)

Giant Yankee Pens

May 17, 2010
There's almost no chance Fleury comes back based on cap room alone. Even at 3.5M we would have to move out Murray, McCann, and Bjugs without taking cap back. We would need to bring back an elc 3C/4c too then.

As is, we really have to make two moves at least. Murray out and one of Bjugs and McCann out. Both if neither are the 3C. We could keep McCann if we bring in an elc 3C I suppose. But you'd probably need to trade McCann to acquire one

Malkinstheman

Aug 12, 2012
But then JR makes a friendly trade because it was the right thing to do. :(

Oh JR is 100% going for fit rather than the most value. I think he'll be targeting players over picks if possible. Hes at the point where if anyone doesn't fit on the team in the next 2-3 years they're gone. Im expecting Legare to be gone eventually as well.

Reactions: ColePens

Empoleon8771

Aug 25, 2015
Redmond, WA
Oh JR is 100% going for fit rather than the most value. I think he'll be targeting players over picks if possible. Hes at the point where if anyone doesn't fit on the team in the next 2-3 years they're gone. Im expecting Legare to be gone eventually as well.

Is that a bad thing? I know that this website loves asset management and draft picks, but I'd rather have the best team today over getting the best return for Murray.

Reactions: Doogle

HandshakeLine

A real jerk thing
Nov 9, 2005
Praha, CZ
The Fleury rumor that Madden put out might be one of the dumbest things I have seen this offseason and it would absolutely cripple the Pens cap situation... but man would I be entertained watching a certain portion of the fanbase who craved Tristan Jarry being the starter over Matt Murray have a sudden change of heart and be outed as the agenda driven hypocrites they truly are

This parasocial goalie shit is the dumbest part of an already stupid year.

Empoleon8771

Aug 25, 2015
Redmond, WA
I was arguing with someone else about Murray vs Holtby, and after looking at their numbers, I'm shocked for how similar of numbers they have put up since Murray broke into the NHL. They're almost identical in both the regular season and playoffs, with Murray being at a .914 regular season save% and a .921 playoff save% while Holtby is at a .913 regular season save% and a .921 playoff save%.

I'm not really sure why some fans seem to think Murray is washed up and teams would rather sign Holtby over trading for Murray. Holtby and Murray are basically equal at this point, but Holtby is like 5 years older and likely more expensive.

xlm34

Dec 1, 2008
I was arguing with someone else about Murray vs Holtby, and after looking at their numbers, I'm shocked for how similar of numbers they have put up since Murray broke into the NHL. They're almost identical in both the regular season and playoffs, with Murray being at a .914 regular season save% and a .921 playoff save% while Holtby is at a .913 regular season save% and a .921 playoff save%.

I'm not really sure why some fans seem to think Murray is washed up and teams would rather sign Holtby over trading for Murray. Holtby and Murray are basically equal at this point, but Holtby is like 5 years older and likely more expensive.

People just really dislike the Penguins and let that guide what opinion they have on almost all of our players. After reading the trade boards, especially in any thread about Murray or Rust, I’m shocked anyone on the Penguins even knows how to skate.

Empoleon8771

Aug 25, 2015
Redmond, WA
People just really dislike the Penguins and let that guide what opinion they have on almost all of our players. After reading the trade boards, especially in any thread about Murray or Rust, I’m shocked anyone on the Penguins even knows how to skate.

They were basically saying that you can't write off Holtby because "he only had 1 bad year", "he has been one of the top playoff goalies" and "he's a high caliber goalie that you can't write off", and then simultaneously arguing that somehow didn't apply to Murray.

Murray and Holtby have shown some pretty clear parallels in recent years: atrocious 19-20, above average 18-19, poor 17-18 and great 16-17 in the regular season, and 3 of 4 cup runs being fine and the other being great (Murray was great in 16-17 and Holtby was great in 17-18). Not really sure how someone can argue that Holtby is elite and only had 1 bad year while not applying that to Murray too.

ownal

Jan 26, 2019
Pittsburgh
Horny,McCann for Bonino,Järnkrok,2nd
Murray for Timmons,2nd
2nd,2nd,johnson,bjustgad for tierney,brown

guentzel - crosby - rust
zucker - malkin - kap
tierney - bonino - brown
jarnkrok - tb - tanev

Granlund cheap 1 year deal until Poulin can push down zucker to the third line next year. Find a RD for our third pairing.

Gurglesons

Dec 18, 2009
San Diego, CA
last-train-tocool.blogspot.com
Horny,McCann for Bonino,Järnkrok,2nd
Murray for Timmons,2nd
2nd,2nd,johnson,bjustgad for tierney,brown

guentzel - crosby - rust
zucker - malkin - kap
tierney - bonino - brown
jarnkrok - tb - tanev

Granlund cheap 1 year deal until Poulin can push down zucker to the third line next year. Find a RD for our third pairing.

Why acquire Tierney for the LW?

xlm34

Dec 1, 2008
They were basically saying that you can't write off Holtby because "he only had 1 bad year", "he has been one of the top playoff goalies" and "he's a high caliber goalie that you can't write off", and then simultaneously arguing that somehow didn't apply to Murray.

Murray and Holtby have shown some pretty clear parallels in recent years: atrocious 19-20, above average 18-19, poor 17-18 and great 16-17 in the regular season, and 3 of 4 cup runs being fine and the other being great (Murray was great in 16-17 and Holtby was great in 17-18). Not really sure how someone can argue that Holtby is elite and only had 1 bad year while not applying that to Murray too.

Yeah doesn’t make a whole lot of sense. We’ll see what happens, but for some reason people are going to be shocked that GMs probably value a 26 year old goalie that’s won 2 cups.

Ugene Magic

EVIL LAUGH
Oct 17, 2008
Pittsburgh

Holtby only got past the 2nd round once, and only due to the Pens negligence did he make it past it once.

Holtby hasn't been elite for a few years in the regular season including the cup year. He's on a down swing....

Either way, string a bunch of small sample sizes together against lesser competition and things will tend to look good.

Not saying he wasn't good for a few years, but that's about it.

Murray's the same... So I get the comparisons.

ZorkEnchanter

Aug 16, 2020
Imagine if we somehow could pull Timmins out of COL.

I think Avs are the team we are waiting for. If their Goalies look shaky bad again, I think Avs are a great partner.

They have Byram coming up which leaves little room for Timmons. But...

:sarcasm: We'll probably ask for Cole and rights to Brooks Orpik :help:

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad