Salary Cap: Pittsburgh Penguins Salary Cap Thread: Spinning our Rud-wheels all summer long...

Status
Not open for further replies.

SHOOTANDSCORE

Eeny Meeny Miny Moe
Sep 25, 2005
Would people rather JJ+Murray for like a 6th

Or

Murray for two 2nds or a late 1st?
I think I'd probably go with A. Not only does that probably immediately improve the D but that cap space could be hugely valuable in this FA climate.

What you could add for that extra 2+ million could end up helping more than what you could potentially trade the picks for.

WheresRamziAbid

Oct 31, 2013
I get your point, but first of all ZAR was hot garbage in his end during these playoffs.

Even if he had been stout defensively during these playoffs, he needs to at least pot a goal here and there.

He is an offensive black hole and every player needs to contribute offensively if a team wants to win a cup.

I just can’t see how after three years of playoff failure from this guy, he would have anyone still believing he has any value to this team.

oh dont get me wrong if you find a guy make the switch, if he wants a raise buh bye and if someone actually gove you something for him i’ll pack his suitcase

i just think “has no value here” is one bridge too far

pistolpete11

Apr 27, 2013
I might be making this up in my head, but wasn't there a "really deep" draft not too long ago? Then after a few years, it was like, "Oh, it wasn't as good as we thought."?

I know the draft is a percentage game and you need picks to hit on some players, especially some high picks, but it is still a crapshoot even in a deep draft. Where as we KNOW removing JMFJ would be a significant improvement to the team. Plus it improves the team during Crosby and Malkin's best remaining years.

BlindWillyMcHurt

ti kallisti
May 31, 2004
When are we going to let go of the idea of "just scratching" JJ?

I mean... I know YOU guys would do it. Sullivan will not. He's proved this over and over even under the most dire circumstances.

Speaking Moistly

What a terrible image.
Feb 19, 2013
Injured Reserve

I mean... I know YOU guys would do it. Sullivan will not. He's proved this over and over even under the most dire circumstances.

He’s scratched him 3 times, thank you very much. If they have at least 6 defensemen Sullivan likes more than JJ they’ll be fine... totally reasonable and rational.

Reactions: BlindWillyMcHurt

CheckingLineCenter

Aug 10, 2018
B, pretty easily.

If we're in a fantasy world where JR is willing to dump JJ by sinking Murray's value, I'd rather just scratch JJ and replace him with POJ. I view that as much more realistic.

Gotta say it seems to me the greater fantasy is both hoping for them to scratch JJ at this point and that a rookie is good enough to play as a regular out of camp. That seems way more hopeful than using Muzz to dump a bad deal.

I think the only somewhat realistic way JJ is actually removed from the lineup is that Reirden likes Riikola similar to Kempny, Riikola plays well, Reirden shakes up the pairings, and JJ becomes the clear odd man out. Even that’s pretty unrealistic/optimistic.

Either way, I was asking what people would rather do, not what’s more likely. And I agree with others, let’s just take the toy away.

Empoleon8771

Aug 25, 2015
Redmond, WA

Where are we getting the idea that JR views JJ as a negative asset and is willing to sink the value of a 1st to get rid of him?

It's all fantasy land.

Gotta say it seems to me the greater fantasy is both hoping for them to scratch JJ at this point and that a rookie is good enough to play as a regular out of camp. That seems way more hopeful than using Muzz to dump a bad deal.

I think the only somewhat realistic way JJ is actually removed from the lineup is that Reirden likes Riikola similar to Kempny, Riikola plays well, Reirden shakes up the pairings, and JJ becomes the clear odd man out. Even that’s pretty unrealistic/optimistic.

Either way, I was asking what people would rather do, not what’s more likely.

You don't need it for the start of next year, you just need it eventually. I think it's way more likely that they'd scratch Johnson for POJ than JR being willing to dump a 1st rounder in value to get rid of him. If we're talking about a fantasy scenario where JR is willing to dump a 1st, I'm throwing up the fantasy scenario of scratching JJ for POJ, which I view as more realistic.

BlindWillyMcHurt

ti kallisti
May 31, 2004
Where are we getting the idea that JR views JJ as a negative asset and is willing to sink the value of a 1st to get rid of him?

It's all fantasy land.

Well that's true... it IS all hypothetical. And you are right that JR does seem to value him which... is in and of itself a problem.

So basically even in a fantasyland situation the team is still screwed on this issue based on years of precedent both from the GM and coach. One for valuing him beyond all reason and the other for, well... same thing.

I guess somehow you've made me feel worse. Well done.

Reactions: Empoleon8771

CheckingLineCenter

Aug 10, 2018

It's all fantasy land.

You don't need it for the start of next year, you just need it eventually. I think it's way more likely that they'd scratch Johnson for POJ than JR being willing to dump a 1st rounder in value to get rid of him. If we're talking about a fantasy scenario where JR is willing to dump a 1st, I'm throwing up the fantasy scenario of scratching JJ for POJ, which I view as more realistic.

yeah and I was pointing out my disagreement with that assessment of likelihood.

But in regards to what I originally posted, seems like a good many people would like to just be done with Johnson, even at the cost of Murray. And I agree. That’s all I was asking, not how realistic it is.

Mr Jiggyfly

Jan 29, 2004
oh dont get me wrong if you find a guy make the switch, if he wants a raise buh bye and if someone actually gove you something for him i’ll pack his suitcase

i just think “has no value here” is one bridge too far

But seriously... what value does he have?

He has been a negative value asset in every playoff year he has been a Penguin.

I don’t care if a guy scored 50 goals a season ala Neal or is some supposed defensive savant... you have to measure his value on his playoff performances.

Most especially when you are a GM trying to understand why your team has won just two of their last 12 playoff games.

JR needs to ask himself...

Has this guy done anything to help me win these games... no... has he been a negative asset during these playoff games... yes...

Why am I keeping him around when I’m trying to change this losing playoff culture?

It makes no sense to keep around a guy like ZAR if you want to change this pathetic run of playoff misery they find themselves in.

Speaking Moistly

What a terrible image.
Feb 19, 2013
Injured Reserve
Ha... even then it would be like "Wait no... not like that. Not THOSE six! Find ANOTHER six."

5 games in someone falls out of favour or gets hurt and

giphy.gif

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad