Salary Cap: Pittsburgh Penguins Salary Cap Thread - Now the stars so vast

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jacob

as seen on TV
Feb 27, 2002
Let’s trade Galchenyuk for the highest pick or best prospect we can get, which I think unfortunately would only be a 3rd or middling prospect, then trade that plus maybe the 2021 2nd for Niederreiter.

The top 12 forwards are then set even for next year.

JTG

Sep 30, 2007
I like him better as a player overall but I don’t like that he has three years left on his contract....if the FO loves him, then go for him, but I don’t think he’s available...Saad is more likely available, and Zucker, even if available, likely would cost us a roster player or prospect we don’t want to give up...

I love the fact that he has 3 years left. He's at a great number, especially if he comes here and does the damage that many think he would with Sid or Geno.

Andy99

Jun 26, 2017
Let’s trade Galchenyuk for the highest pick or best prospect we can get, which I think unfortunately would only be a 3rd or middling prospect, then trade that plus maybe the 2021 2nd for Niederreiter.

Why is Carolina trying to help us out?

JTG

Sep 30, 2007

He's another one I'd like to have before Saad. Can't see Carolina wanting to help us out though.

Reactions: Jacob

Andy99

Jun 26, 2017
My dream would be to try to gets Ehlers here, a true top 6 wing, and WPG has a few of them and needs some D...at his age, I would definitely trade them our first, another pick next year and Addison/Pettersson...we’re not going anywhere with the current talent...we need another higher end player that we’re not going to get that unless we tank

Last edited:

Andy99

Jun 26, 2017
I think maybe we should panic a little less?

not panicking ... can’t panic after 3 SCs with this group...but why can’t people point out that we are short of talent to be a real contender, particularly since Jake is gone, without other people overreacting to the comment? It’s the truth...that’s why we have to be “the hardest working team in the league” in order to be in a PO position...

mpp9

Dec 5, 2010
not panicking ... can’t panic after 3 SCs with this group...but why can’t people point out that we are short of talent to be a real contender, particularly since Jake is gone, without other people overreacting to the comment? It’s the truth...that’s why we have to be “the hardest working team in the league” in order to be in a PO position...

I don't think we need to replace Jake's production. This team has the feel that they can will the puck in the net if you have all four lines going.

To do that, I think you need a 2nd line level talent who's the right fit with Sid. And maybe one more forward to create some competition in the top 9. Malkin+Rust with a competent LWer and our 4th line are set in stone.

Reactions: Riptide

Randy Butternubs

Mar 15, 2008
Morningside
I hope the Penguins trade all of their bad players for other teams good players

biwa6tP.png

Andy99

Jun 26, 2017
I don't think we need to replace Jake's production. This team has the feel that they can will the puck in the net if you have all four lines going.

To do that, I think you need a 2nd line level talent who's the right fit with Sid. And maybe one more forward to create some competition in the top 9. Malkin+Rust with a competent LWer and our 4th line are set in stone.

we just scored one and two goals without Jake against two teams with among the worst goaltending save % in the league...even watching them post -Jake, I’m going to respectfully disagree with you but I’ll wait to see how Sid and his line plays when he returns...

Tom Hanks

Spelling mistakes brought to you by my iPhone.
Nov 10, 2017

We aren’t that short of talent. I think we are a contender now without even making a move. We will though which will make us better.

Malkin, Crosby and Letang have all missed games plus a bunch of others. We work hard because that’s the style the coach wants and everyone is buying in. Highly skilled or plug doesn’t matter, you don’t work hard in this system things become undone. Flipping the switch isn’t a good plan. I think the players thought they could do that last season.

Jacob

as seen on TV
Feb 27, 2002
Why is Carolina trying to help us out?
They need to cut salary to sign Williams. Nino isn’t earning his hit there.

We’re helping them by taking a 5+ million player on a 12 goal pace with no retention or contract going the other way.

Riptide

Dec 29, 2011
Yukon
Possible but I think it's also possible that GMs with rentals like Kreider, Toffoli, etc.etc. aren't calling anybody with offers to sell them. Why would they? Best to start the negotiations by getting the other guy to open up, and they know the other teams will come calling.

I'm sure they are calling other teams - that is after all a big aspect of their jobs. Their prices/asks are just going to be sky high. Teams selling players have ~5/6 weeks before things are serious... thus they have no reason to take a "reasonable" price now - you want "your guy" now vs in 5-6 weeks, it's going to cost and cost big. We've seen this every single season. GMs ask for the moon for their players now and as the TD gets closer prices come a little more reasonable. Hell sometimes they become very reasonable. It's a little different with players like Saad or Zucker who are not rentals, but not terribly. GMs will ask for a lot now and might change their prices a little, but probably not by a lot given that those players will still be around after the TD.

mpp9

Dec 5, 2010
we just scored one and two goals without Jake against two teams with among the worst goaltending save % in the league...even watching them post -Jake, I’m going to respectfully disagree with you but I’ll wait to see how Sid and his line plays when he returns...

Sid and Malkin on separate lines with competent linemates is always going to be superior to what we had earlier in the season with the Malkin line.

We're struggling to score right now because Malkin and Rust have been carrying us for going on a couple months now. Sid's return will steady the ship to an extent. Add a Saad level forward, and we're back in business. Add a better fit in the bottom six than AG, and we're as good as anyone IMO.

Reactions: Tacitus Kilgore

JTG

Sep 30, 2007

And that is valid. I have been a huge Nino fan since his draft year. I think he'd absolutely light it up here.

I still cannot see Carolina helping us like that though.

Reactions: Andy99 and Jacob

Tom Hanks

Nov 10, 2017

We’re helping them by taking a 5+ million player on a 12 goal pace with no retention or contract going the other way.

Why do we want to take the risk then on a 5+ mil player signed for multiple years?

Reactions: Andy99

Jacob

as seen on TV
Feb 27, 2002
And that is valid. I have been a huge Nino fan since his draft year. I think he'd absolutely light it up here.

I still cannot see Carolina helping us like that though.
You’re right. They’d probably even take a slightly lesser return to send him out west. We’d have to sweeten with like POJ or someone else we can’t afford to lose.

Jacob

as seen on TV
Feb 27, 2002
Why do we want to take the risk then on a 5+ mil player signed for multiple years?
Because we have a spot open for a top 6 winger, he’d be playing with Sid or Geno and wouldn’t need to be the driver of the play in either case.. and there’s a risk but the other options are sign someone as UFA which carries greater risk, develop from within but Poulin is at least a couple years away, or trade for a safer player/contract but we’ll be giving up more assets.

Tom Hanks

Nov 10, 2017
Because we have a spot open for a top 6 winger, he’d be playing with Sid or Geno and wouldn’t need to be the driver of the play in either case.. and there’s a risk but the other options are sign someone as UFA which carries greater risk, develop from within but Poulin is at least a couple years away, or trade for a safer player/contract but we’ll be giving up more assets.

He’s playing with Aho and Teravainen so he doesn’t have to be the driver there either.

He’s been bad defensively compared to his teammates and on pace for less than 10 goals. We can do better with less risk.

If there is better available but it costs more might as well pay the extra then.

Reactions: Riptide

Andy99

Jun 26, 2017
Sid and Malkin on separate lines with competent linemates is always going to be superior to what we had earlier in the season with the Malkin line.

We're struggling to score right now because Malkin and Rust have been carrying us for going on a couple months now. Sid's return will steady the ship to an extent. Add a Saad level forward, and we're back in business. Add a better fit in the bottom six than AG, and we're as good as anyone IMO.

I think we need a winger who’s more than just “competent,” as shown by your explanation that G and Rust having been carrying us...they really haven’t lit it up since Jake got injured.... but I guess the proof will be in the pudding and if we get to the SCF with not much of an upgrade (because I doubt we’ll find a good trade), I’ll bow to your superior knowledge...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad