Salary Cap: Pittsburgh Penguins Salary Cap Thread - Now the stars so vast

Status
Not open for further replies.

Honour Over Glory

Fire Sully
Jan 30, 2012
If Saad can be had for say: 1st + Bjugs...let's get this done. Any chance at retention would be swell if possible.

I'd like us to try and swap Gally for another forward if possible. It'd be nice to subtract Bjugs and Gally and infuse Saad and anyone else...not sure who is a good secondary target yet.
If we can dump them ZAR, 1st, Bjugstad for Kubalik and Saad I'd do it for zero retention.

wej20

Aug 14, 2008
UK
He says he prefers LW.

Then he's either a liar or an idiot. Guy's having a superb season, no reason to put him on LW especially when he's never looked more than passable there. Rust and Hornqvist should both play RW.

If we can dump them ZAR, 1st, Bjugstad for Kubalik and Saad I'd do it for zero retention.

All your Dominik are belong to us.

Honour Over Glory

Fire Sully
Jan 30, 2012
Then he's either a liar or an idiot. Guy's having a superb season, no reason to put him on LW especially when he's never looked more than passable there. Rust and Hornqvist should both play RW.

All your Dominik are belong to us.
I just want an interview by potash with all 3 and it's...3 Dom's greeting each other with a head nod and this.

"Dom.."
"Dom.."
"Dom..."

WayneSid9987

Nov 24, 2009
Personally i hope he's patient in this quest. We have time. If he rushes, we are going to massively overpay. It is what it is.

I'm quite willing to overpay if it sets up this top 6 in it's quest the next 2 or more seasons.
Rentals can piss off.
Sign and trades. 2nd's becoming a 1st if they resign are welcomed tho.

WayneSid9987

Nov 24, 2009
For the right players yes. Dont take a Brassard when you wanted JGP.

Well he deffo wouldn't take either of those atm:

“I get the standard calls,” Rutherford said. “But some of the calls I’ve gotten the last week are just to give us depth forwards. It’s not to give us a top-six forward. That comes with time.”

TimmyD

Nov 11, 2013
Greensburg, PA
1st, Gally, ZAR for Saad. Bjugstad+DeSmith for Fiala

Saad Crosby Hornqvist
Kahun Malkin Rust
Fiala McCann Tanev
Simon Blueger Lafferty

SEALBound

Fancy Gina Carano
Sponsor
Jun 13, 2010
Penguins GM Jim Rutherford searching for a winger to replace Jake Guentzel | TribLIVE.com

Nothing much in here. Apparently JR keeps getting offered depth guys but only wants to acquire a top-6 forward. JR's comments of "our wingers can play both sides, so we don't need to acquire a LWer" may be notable, though. I think that's referring to Rust being able to play LW.

An interesting point to consider and discuss would be, if JR is getting offered depth guys, that indicates to me that the winger he is asking about may not be available currently. That sorta puts a guy like Toffoli or Kreider in an interesting category with us. Perhaps he's looking at the Zuckers and Saads of the league. If he's asking, he will likely know the price-ish. I doubt he's asking while thinking he will be wanting to give up major pieces.

I want to see what they plan to do with Bjugstad. If he's 3C when he comes back, that leaves McCann open to be a wing. Then a swap like Galchenyuk and Jimmy Vesey could be more tolerable. That could be the kind of "depth" player that is getting offered,

Saad would be tremendous playing for Sully. He's like Rust+.

Except without the speed or tenacity that makes Rust Rust.

TimmyD

Nov 11, 2013
Greensburg, PA
Breaking up the ZAR-Blueger-Tanev line and trading for multiple wingers with term sounds like a super bad idea to me.

I feel like we need a top 6 winger and a tweener guy so that frees up a guy like Kahun to play with Malkin if they keep clicking... I don't like Simon on line 3 so I would prefer getting a middle six guy to push him down to line 4...

So how about Simon, Gally and 1st for Saad and then trade a couple picks for Vesey from Buffalo?

Saad Crosby Hornqvist
Kahun Malkin Rust
Vesey McCann Bjugstad
ZAR Blueger Tanev

Last edited:

Turin

Feb 27, 2018
Saad-Crosby-Sheary
McCann-Malkin-Rust
Kahun-Pageau-Hornqvist
ZAR-Bleuger-Tanev
Simon
Lafferty

Out: Bjugstad, Galch.

Okay that’s probably impossible, but that forward group looks massively competent defensively outside of Sheary. Also might be too much change so whatevs.

Ryder71

Nov 24, 2017
Saad would be tremendous playing for Sully. He's like Rust+.
Saad would most likely be the safest bet when it comes to fitting the system. Zucker has more speed and more term. I'd be happy in acquiring either provided the cost is reasonable. JGP IF McCann moves up on wing, but I'm not a real fan of dealing with the Sens again.

Peat

Jun 14, 2016
An interesting point to consider and discuss would be, if JR is getting offered depth guys, that indicates to me that the winger he is asking about may not be available currently. That sorta puts a guy like Toffoli or Kreider in an interesting category with us. Perhaps he's looking at the Zuckers and Saads of the league. If he's asking, he will likely know the price-ish. I doubt he's asking while thinking he will be wanting to give up major pieces.

I want to see what they plan to do with Bjugstad. If he's 3C when he comes back, that leaves McCann open to be a wing. Then a swap like Galchenyuk and Jimmy Vesey could be more tolerable. That could be the kind of "depth" player that is getting offered,

Possible but I think it's also possible that GMs with rentals like Kreider, Toffoli, etc.etc. aren't calling anybody with offers to sell them. Why would they? Best to start the negotiations by getting the other guy to open up, and they know the other teams will come calling.

Reactions: pixiesfanyo

Gurglesons

Dec 18, 2009
San Diego, CA
last-train-tocool.blogspot.com
Possible but I think it's also possible that GMs with rentals like Kreider, Toffoli, etc.etc. aren't calling anybody with offers to sell them. Why would they? Best to start the negotiations by getting the other guy to open up, and they know the other teams will come calling.

More so to this point. The big fish is off the board. Hall is gone so basically you have a bunch of similar value players.

Reactions: Peat

Andy99

Jun 26, 2017
Hopefully JR isn’t waiting for GMs to contact him as the article suggests....I hope the Pens are looking at teams who are out of the POs rn or rebuilding, combing thru their wingers, regardless of contract status, discussing who fits here and then calling the GM out of the blue to make an offer for a hockey trade ...

SEALBound

Fancy Gina Carano
Sponsor
Jun 13, 2010

I didn't suggest that NYR or LA were calling any teams offering Toffoli or Kredier.

I was suggesting it was more (let's use Minnesota as an example because I think they like Zucker):

JR: Hey Bill, we need a LW. Is Zucker available and whats the cost?
BG: Hey JR, not really wanting to move Zucky at the moment but we may be able to do something around Foligno.
JR: Thanks anyway Bill, but we are looking for a Top 6 wing.
BG: No prob, later gator.
JR: See ya
*click*

I was also suggesting that if that was indeed the case, I was curious if he had any interest in UFAs like Toffoli or Kreider because the response wouldn't be "we are getting offers for depth guys) if that was the case as I believe LA and NYR would be open to moving either of them.

Reactions: Peat

Ryder71

Nov 24, 2017
Hopefully JR isn’t waiting for GMs to contact him as the article suggests....I hope the Pens are looking at teams who are out of the POs rn or rebuilding, combing thru their wingers, regardless of contract status, discussing who fits here and then calling the GM out of the blue to make an offer for a hockey trade ...
I believe he's waiting because a few of his options are injured. Which reduces the pool of players currently available. We have a bye week coming up in a couple weeks. I'd be surprised if something isn't done somewhere in that time frame.

DesertPenguin

Apr 22, 2015
I wouldnt be surprised to see this when Sid returns:

McCann - Crosby - Hornqvist
Kahun - Malkin - Rust
ZAR - Bleuger - Tanev
Simon - Blandisi - Lafferty

And then once Bjugstad gets back, and we bring in a trade with Chucky going the other way plus picks or prospects:

McCann - Crosby - Trade
Kahun - Malkin - Rust
Simon - Bjugstad - Hornqvist
ZAR - Bleuger - Tanev

It keeps Malkin's line and Bleuger's line together long term, puts together what should be a workable 3rd line, and gets Sid a line that he can play with. We know McCann works with Sid and they can hand pick a partner for them on the RW. This solves the problems in 1 move, whereas if we move out Bjugstad we have to move McCann to 3C and we still have a hole. I know people want Bjugstad gone but if he can cover 3C to free up McCann, it would be a big help.

Edit: and next year, when Guentzel is healthy, Jake takes McCann's spot, McCann slides back to 3C and Bjugstad packs his bags.

Edit Edit: And if the trade target is a RHS, who can be a shooter on the power play, that hole is filled too.

Last edited:
Reactions: Rust17
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad