Salary Cap: Pittsburgh Penguins Salary Cap Thread: Mathensum

Status
Not open for further replies.

Tom Hanks

Spelling mistakes brought to you by my iPhone.
Nov 10, 2017
again, they still don’t have the money...that’s why they wanted Crawford back at $3.5-$4 mil

GM’s can find a way. That’s if they really want him. They probably don’t want him that bad though.

Reactions: Andy99

Empoleon8771

Aug 25, 2015
Redmond, WA
Bye bye Murray then.

I think that's a fair deal for Jarry. A little bit more money than I was expecting, but they also got an extra year beyond what I was expecting. I had him at about $3 million for 2 years.

Reactions: Andy99

ColePens

RIP Fugu Buffaloed & parabola
Mar 27, 2008
Pittsburgh
I think it shows the hand though... but im assuming GMs already knew that.

The Murray tenure is a weird one. 2 cups in 1.5 seasons. His father passed away. He showed glimpses of brilliance and glimpses of really bad play.

The dude sets a SO record in AHL, 2 cups in 1.5 seasons, and out the door 3 years later. This is why players should NEVER take a discount

CheckingLineCenter

Aug 10, 2018

The Murray tenure is a weird one. 2 cups in 1.5 seasons. His father passed away. He showed glimpses of brilliance and glimpses of really bad play.

The dude sets a SO record in AHL, 2 cups in 1.5 seasons, and out the door 3 years later. This is why players should NEVER take a discount

Yep. And on the flip side... thank god we didn’t pay the guy for what he did long term.

Reactions: Giskard and Andy99

Speaking Moistly

What a terrible image.
Feb 19, 2013
Injured Reserve
Really tight.

JJ really has to go. It’s going to be bad if he’s still here, worse than the usual having him on the team. They can sign everyone and all of the RFAs won’t be in the NHL but

Tanev-McCann-Simon
ZAR-Blueger-Scevior
13F

Poulin on L3 could help but it’s not good and I don’t trust them to not trot JJ out at 3RD.

ColePens

RIP Fugu Buffaloed & parabola
Mar 27, 2008
Pittsburgh
I wonder who would even be considered a top goalie in this league. MAF was a backup in the postseason. Bins couldn't even start for st louis. Vasi was tortured by fans until they won this year. Price? People call him overpaid. Goaltenders in the NHL. Woof man. Tough position

HandshakeLine

A real jerk thing
Nov 9, 2005
Praha, CZ
Yeah, I'm of the opinion that goaltending is now the least essential position on a cup team.

Any champion needs competence and a bit of luck there, sure, but I don't see team with elite goaltending winning nearly as much as teams without.

Reactions: KIRK

SEALBound

Fancy Gina Carano
Sponsor
Jun 13, 2010

Matt Murray has low value, though.

San Jose has TBL's 31st OV. If they send Dubs and Danato and SJ sends back a prospect or bottom 6, the value is there.

Lehner signing with Vegas is good for the Murray market

We all knew he would sign there. People using a couple of these goalies as reasons to diminish Murray's value are nuts, especially for like Edmonton. They have issues signing goalies anyway. Spending an asset on Murray is not the worst thing for them.

I had him at a 3x3 so this is very close. Love it.

Really tight.

Lafferty and Angello can be sent down though. MM is likely traded.

I think we are okay.

Son Goku

henlo u stinky egg
Mar 8, 2014
The World Of Void
D2EAEB77-55EF-4062-AEE9-C06EEC97BEAB.gif
That's what he said.

Reactions: Ugene Malkin

Speaking Moistly

What a terrible image.
Feb 19, 2013
Injured Reserve
Yeah, I'm of the opinion that goaltending is now the least essential position on a cup team.

Any champion needs competence and a bit of luck there, sure, but I don't see team with elite goaltending winning nearly as much as teams without.

I’d say it’s still arguably the most important. It’s just volatile and unpredictable. Who was the last cup winner or finalist with bad goaltending? Is Fleury’s .908 in 2009 still the worst in a long ass time? A lot of cup winners or finalists have goalies putting up elite or near elite numbers beyond mere competence. It’s that counting on elite performance is hard with goalies and that gets teams into trouble. Outside of the best, you can’t really count on them to be great every year and it can make or break teams. They’re still a massive deciding factor, though.

The importance is why it’s so weird for people to want their salaries locked in at 5-6 as the cap rises. They should be paid, they just shouldn’t get term. Term is where goalies get dangerous.

HandshakeLine

A real jerk thing
Nov 9, 2005
Praha, CZ
My counter argument, WC, is that given how team-driven goalie stats are, championship teams can give average goalies a big enough boost there to make it look statistically like they're putting up elite numbers. I haven't run the numbers on it, though, so this is just more of me spooling out a hunch than doing the legwork, so take it with a huge grain of salt. :laugh:

Reactions: Riptide

Malkinstheman

Aug 12, 2012
I feel like we're going too see some weird ass trade with Edmonton.

Murray + JJ + Desmith for Koskinen + pick

JJ + Desmith = Koskinen's salary and then the Oilers could trade Russel to make more room.

Ugene Magic

EVIL LAUGH
Oct 17, 2008
Pittsburgh

And Murray didn't take a discount. When he signed his new deal they didn't even win the second cup yet. He got that from his AHL play, 13 games of NHL regular season play and 21 games in the playoffs + cup >>>>$3.750 /3 years.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad