Salary Cap: Pittsburgh Penguins Salary Cap Thread - Level of Interest Meter Pegged At Zero

Status
Not open for further replies.

KIRK

Aug 2, 2005
I don't think they do. Can you provide any quotes where JR or Sullivan have said "ZAR is a top 6 players" or similar?

Being Geno's third wheel when they want to spread out talent for matchup reasons or filling due to injuries =/= top 6.

It's my understanding. It's @Mr Jiggyfly's understanding. People here are well aware of what that means when it's typed that way. So, with all due respect to what you THINK . . .

CheckingLineCenter

Aug 10, 2018
Better than... well...

Is it though? Tanev is the more efficient scorer at ES. Doesn’t look like Compher is some possession wizard on the surface either.

Compher I guess can play on your PP and has some C capability.

Idk, neither is all that great. Given cap hits, would honestly rather have Tanev and his play style for our current team. Compher theoretically could improve tho (so could Tanev however so who knows).

K Fleur

Sacrifice
Mar 28, 2014
I think all of the offseason signings that could make me dislike the Tanev signing more have already happened. Compher isn't one of them.

Reactions: CheckingLineCenter

ZeroPucksGiven

Feb 28, 2017
There’s a difference between where ZAR lines up on the game roster at the beginning of the broadcast and how ZAR was actually deployed which I think you’re greatly undervaluing.

Not to mention in a few of those games Brassard was barely playing more minutes or less minutes than the 4th line center. So regardless of “Brassard’s line being the 3rd line” it was in reality used the least which IMO is the 4th line. Just like a forward getting 10th ATOI on the team for a stint is a 4th liner.

For me it's fairly simple: the coach intentionally played a clearly hobbled ZAR to start the Isles series and was never ever removed from the lineup despite him looking like doo-doo.
He had a guy like A Johnson and Blueger at his disposale yet thought Injured ZAR > those options

So if a person doesn't think this coach has a ZAR fetish, I'm not sure what to tell them

KIRK

Aug 2, 2005
You’ll have to keep waiting. He was joking

hqdefault.jpg

Reactions: EVGENIMERLIN

KIRK

Aug 2, 2005
I'm a tad bored so...

ZAR with Brass

vs Stars, vs Bruins - Cullen injured, playing over Rust (21st - 23rd Nov)

vs CBJ, vs Jets, vs Avalanche, vs Flyers, vs Avalanche, vs NYI - Cullen and Horny injured (24th Nov - 6th Dec)

vs Sens, vs NYI - Cullen, Horny and Simon injured (8th - 10th Dec)

ZAR with Geno

vs Bruins, vs LA, vs ANA - Horny and Simon injured, Pearson probably injured but playing in bottom 6* (14 - 17th Dec)

vs Caps - Simon injured, Pearson and Horny in bottom 6 so ZAR playing over (19th Dec)

ZAR with Sid

vs Blues, vs Wild - everyone 'fit' (29 - 31 Dec)

ZAR with Geno again

vs NJD, vs SJS, vs Flyers, vs CBJ - everyone fit for first three games, cemented in the role from that point so not gonna keep looking up all the games (19th Feb - 09 Mar)

I think you can make a case that ZAR's time in the top 9 up to the end of the year was possibly influenced by injuries and loss of form (i.e. Rust). And his first case of straight up preferment was very short. But from Feb on they just really liked having him there. You could argue that's about everyone else laying solid eggs of brown **** to be the third wheel with Malkin and Kessel - but it's not about fitness.

That said - we'll see how things go now that we've added two good forwards.

It very well may have been influenced by injuries, but assessing how Sullivan used him is NOT inconsistent with saying the organization (management) sees ZAR as a top 6 talent. See Ryan Reaves for an example of the dichotomy between how management sees and the coach uses a player.

Reactions: Saints11

KIRK

Aug 2, 2005
lol -- Malkin signed at 9.5M a "B-"

Recency bias is a hell of a thing.

It is, but I assumed the rankings were a 'based on the last year' thing.

I mean... it's just kind of another example of how feeding this sport into a spreadsheet and spitting out some numbers is steering you the wrong direction before you even start.

Certainly concur with that sentiment, and not just about this 'contract evaluator model'.

Reactions: BlindWillyMcHurt

davemess

Apr 9, 2003
Scotland
Is Jarry getting traded? I thought he would be gone around the draft.

At this point the number of teams looking for a backup goalie have got to be pretty limited.

We hoping a team loses a goalie to injury in camp or we going to try and sneak Jarry through waivers?

Reactions: KIRK

KIRK

Aug 2, 2005

At this point the number of teams looking for a backup goalie have got to be pretty limited.

We hoping a team loses a goalie to injury in camp or we going to try and sneak Jarry through waivers?

I'd guess the latter.

Then again, IF it's Johnson who's going, PERHAPS Jarry will be part of the spiff to get a team to take him?

KIRK

Aug 2, 2005
Yeah, it is. It just looks too goofy to even commit to print.

Ha... no doubt. That's really what I was driving at...

I think in general this is where the eye test SHOULD come into play (with some of these possession metrics). You see something. If the numbers confirm it, then great. If they don't, then you take a 2nd look. BUT, you don't use the numbers themselves to evaluate, because I think relying on them alone is an approach that tends to get exposed in the playoffs.

BlindWillyMcHurt

ti kallisti
May 31, 2004
I think in general this is where the eye test SHOULD come into play (with some of these possession metrics). You see something. If the numbers confirm it, then great. If they don't, then you take a 2nd look. BUT, you don't use the numbers themselves to evaluate, because I think relying on them alone is an approach that tends to get exposed in the playoffs.

I look at the numbers as supporting evidence for what you already know from watching and playing for many, many years. If that sounds arrogant then I guess it's arrogant.

Even as supporting evidence it's important to remember that statistical outliers, anomalies and... statistical massaging... are a thing.

Reactions: EightyOne and KIRK

Andy99

Jun 26, 2017
So someone commented on a Hockey Guy video that they heard from a GM of an OHL team that Marner was going to the Isles...hopefully some of these big RFAs get signed as soon as one of these dominos goes down, and then JR will have a better idea what he’s dealing with to get a player moved for cap (hopefully that JJ dude)...

JRS91

Jul 4, 2010

What value does he have?

He's not very good. I'm not sure what return you could possibly get for him.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad