Salary Cap: Pittsburgh Penguins Salary Cap Thread - Level of Interest Meter Pegged At Zero

Status
Not open for further replies.

Hell Yeah!!!

Mar 11, 2007
ATL
Ugh. I know it was BS and not even rumor worthy...but there was a not small part of me hoping to get a server not available response on my visit to HFboards today. Praying for JJ trade server overload.

Reactions: KIRK

Riptide

Dec 29, 2011
Yukon
That has no bearing on my argument.

ZAR played 494 5v5 minutes last year.
ZAR played 37 minutes with Crosby.
ZAR played 118 minutes with Brassard.
ZAR played 180 minutes with Malkin.

That means he played at least 335 of his 494 5v5 minutes, or 68% of his time, in the top 9.

It's that simple.

Looking at his icetime on a game by game basis and who was/wasn't playing:
Of his 43 games, he played 15 games where we had a full healthy lineup. 13 of the 28 games we were missing 2 players.

Of the 15 games with a full healthy roster, per ESTOI he played 6 games in the top 9. He played 3 of those 6 games in the top 6. The other 9 games were on L4.

As we were missing players (Crosby for 2 games in Nov, Hornqvist in late Nov, Simon in early Dec), he started moving up the lineup. Those players came back, and he was back on L4. Rust misses games in late Dec, Reese goes back up the lineup. Rust comes back, Reese drops back down.

The only time we were "healthy" (every expected regular dressed) and Reese was getting top 9/6 minutes was for a couple games in mid/late Nov and then when he was with Malkin in mid Feb, and that was only for 2 games. Reese stayed there, but we were missing Simon or Rust for the rest of his time with Malkin.

So basically what @pixiesfanyo said. When we were healthy he was for the most part on L4. When we had injuries, he moved up the depth chart.

Reactions: pixiesfanyo

Gurglesons

Dec 18, 2009
San Diego, CA
last-train-tocool.blogspot.com
Looking at his icetime on a game by game basis and who was/wasn't playing:
Of his 43 games, he played 15 games where we had a full healthy lineup. 13 of the 28 games we were missing 2 players.

Of the 15 games with a full healthy roster, per ESTOI he played 6 games in the top 9. He played 3 of those 6 games in the top 6. The other 9 games were on L4.

As we were missing players (Crosby for 2 games in Nov, Hornqvist in late Nov, Simon in early Dec), he started moving up the lineup. Those players came back, and he was back on L4. Rust misses games in late Dec, Reese goes back up the lineup. Rust comes back, Reese drops back down.

The only time we were "healthy" (every expected regular dressed) and Reese was getting top 9/6 minutes was for a couple games in mid/late Nov and then when he was with Malkin in mid Feb, and that was only for 2 games. Reese stayed there, but we were missing Simon or Rust for the rest of his time with Malkin.

So basically what @pixiesfanyo said. When we were healthy he was for the most part on L4. When we had injuries, he moved up the depth chart.

Which isn’t to say he didn’t got knocked up to those top lines. Just it was basically a necessity given our lack of LW depth and LW injuries last year.

So, Soggy worrying about that happening again is just worrying to worry.

Riptide

Dec 29, 2011
Yukon
Is Jarry getting traded? I thought he would be gone around the draft.

At this point the number of teams looking for a backup goalie have got to be pretty limited.

We hoping a team loses a goalie to injury in camp or we going to try and sneak Jarry through waivers?

Personally I doubt he gets moved. I figured if he went, it would be at the draft. Maybe as part of the JJ deal, but I think the longer this goes on, the more likely it'll be that they just try and slip him through waivers.

SHOOTANDSCORE

Eeny Meeny Miny Moe
Sep 25, 2005
Yall got any more of those JJ rumors?

iu

Riptide

Dec 29, 2011
Yukon
Which isn’t to say he didn’t got knocked up to those top lines. Just it was basically a necessity given our lack of LW depth and LW injuries last year.

So, Soggy worrying about that happening again is just worrying to worry.

Especially as we have even more quality depth this year.

Rakell67

Sep 28, 2017
PA
Personally I doubt he gets moved. I figured if he went, it would be at the draft. Maybe as part of the JJ deal, but I think the longer this goes on, the more likely it'll be that they just try and slip him through waivers.
This isn’t a bad thing. Jarry can be insurance in case a goalie gets injured in preseason. Another team may have injuries as well and come knocking on JR’s back door.

EightyOne

My posts are jokes. And hockey is just a game.
Nov 23, 2016
Jarry has to be worth more than a waiver loss.
But this team can't carry three goalies going into the season.
They've f***ed the cap game up too much for that.

ZeroPucksGiven

Feb 28, 2017
This isn’t a bad thing. Jarry can be insurance in case a goalie gets injured in preseason. Another team may have injuries as well and come knocking on JR’s back door.

Oh I thought the Pens HAD to qualify him or else he became a FA
That isn't the case?

IcedCapp

Aug 7, 2009
Yes, unfortunately "Clueless" Joe Jackson is still here.

Have you been doing your part in butt holding? I've been told that has something to do with it.

You've got to hold your butt harder or longer or something something

A long time ago, like 20 years? There was a site/pic floating around the internet. I don’t want to name it, it’s pretty ... graphic... but if you catch what I’m throwing down, that’s me right now.

Riptide

Dec 29, 2011
Yukon
Jarry has to be worth more than a waiver loss.
But this team can't carry three goalies going into the season.
They've ****ed the cap game up too much for that.

A) the cap wouldn't be the reason for sending him down or keeping him up (unless it's at the expense of DeSmith). He has a 675k cap hit. Seeing how we wouldn't be carrying 12F/8D/3G, one of the D would be going down, in which case we'd actually gain cap space.

B) depends on what we're getting offered. If all it is is a 4th/5th/6th/7th... I'd probably gamble on him clearing waivers. Because even if he does get picked up, there's a chance we could get him back AND get to send him directly to WBS. If someone claims him, and then puts him on waivers, we get first dibs and can send him directly to WBS. So the question then is, is there a team in the league with bad enough goaltending that would need him and would keep him up all season as their 2/3G?

Andy99

Jun 26, 2017
A) the cap wouldn't be the reason for sending him down or keeping him up (unless it's at the expense of DeSmith). He has a 675k cap hit. Seeing how we wouldn't be carrying 12F/8D/3G, one of the D would be going down, in which case we'd actually gain cap space.

B) depends on what we're getting offered. If all it is is a 4th/5th/6th/7th... I'd probably gamble on him clearing waivers. Because even if he does get picked up, there's a chance we could get him back AND get to send him directly to WBS. If someone claims him, and then puts him on waivers, we get first dibs and can send him directly to WBS. So the question then is, is there a team in the league with bad enough goaltending that would need him and would keep him up all season as their 2/3G?

Buffalo? NJD?...

Andy99

Jun 26, 2017
Buffalo has Ullmark and Hutton. NJ has Schneider and Blackwood.

Yeah, I gues...but neither’s goaltending has been very good and maybe they want to take a shot with Jarry...doubtful but who knows

Riptide

Dec 29, 2011
Yukon
Yeah, I gues...but neither’s goaltending has been very good and maybe they want to take a shot with Jarry...doubtful but who knows

Blackwood posted outstanding numbers last season, and they still have Schneider. They're not going to be carrying a 3rd goalie that can't clear waivers. Ullmark wasn't great last season, but considering his numbers were only slightly worse then Hutton's I think I'd blame that on the team in front of him, vs entirely on them. And while Buffalo might want to take a gamble on Jarry, they're not going to want to carry 3 guys and I doubt they trade either of Hutton or Ullmark to keep Jarry while giving him minimal starts.

Basically someone would need to have an injury very early on in camp and decide to take a gamble on Jarry. I think the odds are pretty good that either he clears, or is put back on waivers at some point next season - which would allow us to claim him and send him straight to WBS.

BlindWillyMcHurt

ti kallisti
May 31, 2004
Maybe there is just something there I'm not seeing with Jarry. I admit that I'm not nearly as good as reading goaltenders. But I feel like there is like... at least one Jarry in each team's pool.

If they got like a 4th rounder I think that'd be pretty good... right?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad