Salary Cap: Pittsburgh Penguins Salary Cap Thread - Level of Interest Meter Pegged At Zero

Status
Not open for further replies.

CascadiaPenguin

Jul 5, 2017
The Salish Sea
Maybe there is just something there I'm not seeing with Jarry. I admit that I'm not nearly as good as reading goaltenders. But I feel like there is like... at least one Jarry in each team's pool.

If they got like a 4th rounder I think that'd be pretty good... right?
It's better than losing in waivers. It seems like just yesterday Jarry was our goalie of the future and Murray relatively unknown.

BlindWillyMcHurt

ti kallisti
May 31, 2004
It's better than losing in waivers. It seems like just yesterday Jarry was our goalie of the future and Murray relatively unknown.

Oh for sure. I'm saying I'd be pretty happy with that. I'm just wondering if my valuation of Jarry is far off. I kinda don't think it is.

But yeah... kinda weird, for sure. I remember Jarry, Murray and Maguire being their three big candidates for future starter for a bit. With Murray usually being considered the least likely.

Reactions: CascadiaPenguin

Riptide

Dec 29, 2011
Yukon
Maybe there is just something there I'm not seeing with Jarry. I admit that I'm not nearly as good as reading goaltenders. But I feel like there is like... at least one Jarry in each team's pool.

If they got like a 4th rounder I think that'd be pretty good... right?

Not that I think Jarry will be all that... but why move him for a 4th? If that's all you're getting you might as well gamble that Jarry will either clear waivers or that you can get him back later on... because a 4th likely won't be an NHLer for us (something like a 7-10% chance), and even if he does make it, it's likely 5+ years from now (2020 draft, then 3+ years of development). Given the odds and the timeline, I'd just wait and see what happens with Jarry.

Now if someone was offering a 2nd/3rd, then sure. Make the move and move on. But for a 4th+ (and it's likely later then that), I just don't see the point in taking such a small return on him vs gambling and seeing what happens.

BlindWillyMcHurt

ti kallisti
May 31, 2004
Not that I think Jarry will be all that... but why move him for a 4th? If that's all you're getting you might as well gamble that Jarry will either clear waivers or that you can get him back later on... because a 4th likely won't be an NHLer for us (something like a 7-10% chance), and even if he does make it, it's likely 5+ years from now (2020 draft, then 3+ years of development). Given the odds and the timeline, I'd just wait and see what happens with Jarry.

Now if someone was offering a 2nd/3rd, then sure. Make the move and move on. But for a 4th+ (and it's likely later then that), I just don't see the point in taking such a small return on him vs gambling and seeing what happens.

I mean... there is merit in that line of thinking but a 4th isn't NOTHING, these days. In my mind it's better to have another ball in the lottery rather than hold on to a guy whose draft date was 6 years back and we're still in "wait and see" mode.

But I mean... no biggie either way.

SHOOTANDSCORE

Eeny Meeny Miny Moe
Sep 25, 2005
Wowee am I pissed that a guy who spent considerable time making fun of people with inside knowledge and who has troll under his name turned out to not have inside knowledge. Who the **** saw that coming
:laugh:

That's like getting mad at someone because you fell for fake news from conspiracy.ru

Reactions: Tom Hanks

BlindWillyMcHurt

ti kallisti
May 31, 2004
Wowee am I pissed that a guy who spent considerable time making fun of people with inside knowledge and who has troll under his name turned out to not have inside knowledge. Who the **** saw that coming

He's teh master troll! lol -- sure owned us good!

He was only popping in here to insult all of you and talk about what a dumpster this board is out of love.

Reactions: SHOOTANDSCORE

Peat

Jun 14, 2016
It very well may have been influenced by injuries, but assessing how Sullivan used him is NOT inconsistent with saying the organization (management) sees ZAR as a top 6 talent. See Ryan Reaves for an example of the dichotomy between how management sees and the coach uses a player.

Indeed it isn't and my words were never intended to be meant otherwise.

However, I would point out that various journos have said the org regards McCann as a top 6 talent too. And that they're super high on Kahun. Obviously Guentzel, Galchenyuk and Horny are guys that end up in the top 6 regularly. And I'm not sure what the org thinks of Simon, but Sully and Sid clearly love him. Ditto Rust.

I don't disbelieve you guys saying the org thinks of ZAR as a top 6 talent but at the same time, the depth there means a lot of their top 6 talents will spend a lot of time outside it. And as such... well, unless they start moving guys out of the way to make space for him, they can believe what they want. The log jam and Sully will sort things out relatively fairly. And this summer they did the opposite of moving guys out of his way.

Totally cool. Just checking.

The one thing I think that gives more credibility to the numbers, again without having read the article (should probably just get an athletic sub as it's cheap all things considered), is the injury history. If the date projects Geno at 60ish games a year and 65 points, I can see how that projects to worse value vs let's say Duchene at 8MM playing 70 games and 70ish points.

That said, I think the hardest thing to figure into this data (and I'm not saying it makes this case) is how likely is it that you can replace any particular player for better value? For replacement level players, it's easier to use this data as there are a ton of other players you could get. With top 6 centers, even declining ones, it's very limited in how you can replace them.

I'll try and take a better look at their model and see what's going in at some point. I'd say I suspect injuries are part of it, but at the same time, Ovie also got a B- and is pretty fit. Plus Letang's a train wreck of injuries and got an A. So maybe it doesn't.

I'm also guessing it doesn't factor in ease of replacement and here I think it's right; at least, I think its right that the thing doesn't try to model that. Too many moving parts and I also like the purity of it either being bad value for the money or good.

SHOOTANDSCORE

Eeny Meeny Miny Moe
Sep 25, 2005
No one is actually mad

There's just no other entertainment than to feign disappointment with ImporterExporter
A few people were legit mad the other day.

Just sayin' it was really obvious what he was doing. It isn't even trolling when it's that obvious.

ImporterExporter

"You're a boring old man"
Jun 18, 2013
Oblivion Express
Since people want to f***ing act like children and keep bringing my name up even after Cole said not to....and Cole misrepresented, to a degree, what I messaged him via PM....

My uncle, who is now retired, is in the Mon Valley Sportswriters HOF (people from Pittsburgh will understand what the Mon Valley is, at least most will I think). He wrote for the Trib (briefly) as well as the Valley Independent for many years. Was a sports editor for nearly 2 decades at the latter. He spent the better part of a half century covering sports in and around Pittsburgh.

I don't claim to have direct super inside information, but my uncle maintains a great relationship with some of the bigger (older) names in the Pitt sports media circles. So, yes, I've gotten some juicy tidbits over the years ahead of the public.

The Jack Johnson banter was mostly in jest. I do not have a specific timeline, but I will go on record stating that I've been told Johnson is 99% likely to move at some point this summer.

Beyond that?

Whatever.

Tom Hanks

Spelling mistakes brought to you by my iPhone.
Nov 10, 2017
I have inside info that Andy99 is pretty let down right now.

It’s not really inside info if he releases an album about it

maxresdefault.jpg

Reactions: Andy99

Turin

Feb 27, 2018
Since people want to ****ing act like children and keep bringing my name up even after Cole said not to....and Cole misrepresented, to a degree, what I messaged him via PM....

My uncle, who is now retired, is in the Mon Valley Sportswriters HOF (people from Pittsburgh will understand what the Mon Valley is, at least most will I think). He wrote for the Trib (briefly) as well as the Valley Independent for many years. Was a sports editor for nearly 2 decades at the latter. He spent the better part of a half century covering sports in and around Pittsburgh.

I don't claim to have direct super inside information, but my uncle maintains a great relationship with some of the bigger (older) names in the Pitt sports media circles. So, yes, I've gotten some juicy tidbits over the years ahead of the public.

The Jack Johnson banter was mostly in jest. I do not have a specific timeline, but I will go on record stating that I've been told Johnson is 99% likely to move at some point this summer.

Beyond that?

Whatever.

Summer ends tonight boys

Tom Hanks

Spelling mistakes brought to you by my iPhone.
Nov 10, 2017
Since people want to ****ing act like children and keep bringing my name up even after Cole said not to....and Cole misrepresented, to a degree, what I messaged him via PM....

Beyond that?

Whatever.

;)

tenor.gif

ColePens

RIP Fugu Buffaloed & parabola
Mar 27, 2008
Pittsburgh
I do not care who knows who or what... and there is no misrepresenting anything. If you do not know, you do not know. So if you create your own madness, don't blame the board. :laugh:

I'm going to lock this thread to delete info and sticky a warning. IE does not have any rumors on JJ. Period. Let's move along and leave it go.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad