Salary Cap: Pittsburgh Penguins Salary Cap Thread - It's always better when we're together

Status
Not open for further replies.

CascadiaPenguin

Sponsor
Jul 5, 2017
The Salish Sea
I’m excited for this season. I think the team will be out to make a statement after being swept last year.
At forward, Kahun, Tanev, Galchenyuk are new faces and should fit the team’s speed identity. Bjugstad and McCann should continue to improve with a training camp. Guentzel is coming off a 40 goal season. Blueger should be improved. Hornqvist had a good WC. Simon’s game should evolve a bit. Hopefully Rust is more consistent. Crosby and Malkin should benefit from the speed and youth. There are also a few players with the Baby Pens that may push for playing time.
On D, Schultz should bounce back being fully recovered and able to get in game shape. Pettersson and Riikola should be improved. Dumoulin and Gudbranson should mature. Hope Letang can get back to pre outdoor game.
In goal, Murray should be more consistent and hopefully build on his second half of last year. DeSmith should have matured a bit.
I want to focus on the positives and enjoy the ride. Win or lose, this should be a fun and exciting team.
Kudos to you, sir! A pleasant, positive post about our prospective season without superlatives, and most importantly, not a single reference to JackMFJohnson. Thank you for making hockey fun again!

froods

I blame Paul Martin and Jack Johnson
Aug 28, 2009
Fort Erie, ON
I don’t like Boedker as a player, but I’d do it if there’s no retention because 1) we get JJ out and 2) we clear cap next year...I’m not sure we’ll clear enough cap space this year to sign our RFAs though...now if OTT retained some on Boedker...
...but do you like him as a person? :sarcasm:

HuskerTornado

Jobu Needs Rum
May 26, 2008
Parts Unknown
Christ, we’re still obsessing over Tanev? Lol I’m going to get another drink and come back tomorrow.
giphy.gif

Tanev will be obsessed about until at least mid-season. lol

Riptide

Dec 29, 2011
Yukon
Tanev? He’s 100% an offensive black hole. He went nearly half the season without a goal. He scored twenty of his 29 points in the first half of the season last year.

So?

Just because we're into comparisons and all. Rust scored 17 of his 18 goals and 29 of his 35 points over his final 43 games. And yet you've said that Rust is better... and he had 1g over nearly half the season (29 games). And that's despite the fact that he played 132:40 of his 208:34 ES minutes (63.6%) with one of Crosby or Malkin on the ice.

Can't be too much of an "offensive black hole", he scored 4g/6pts less than Rust - who you do nothing but rave about. And that's with Rust seeing significant icetime with MUCH better centers and much easier deployments.

And many people said trade Rust..?

Rust is a better player than Tanev. But it isn’t like his contract is some gem.

Well by your standards, he's an offensive black hole.

Tom Hanks

Spelling mistakes brought to you by my iPhone.
Nov 10, 2017
A Jack Johnson trade for cap space would be the only thing that could bring everyone together.

Yeah great and then JR signs a worse player to a worse contract. No thanks! :sarcasm:

There’s always a chance that happens though #nosarcasmemojirequired

Turin

Feb 27, 2018
So?

Just because we're into comparisons and all. Rust scored 17 of his 18 goals and 29 of his 35 points over his final 43 games. And yet you've said that Rust is better... and he had 1g over nearly half the season (29 games). And that's despite the fact that he played 132:40 of his 208:34 ES minutes (63.6%) with one of Crosby or Malkin on the ice.

Can't be too much of an "offensive black hole", he scored 4g/6pts less than Rust - who you do nothing but rave about. And that's with Rust seeing significant icetime with MUCH better centers and much easier deployments.

To be fair he only stole that from McCurdy, who also said Guentzel was a 4.5 million dollar player based on his i s o l a t e d i m p a c t

Last edited:
Reactions: Riptide

Gurglesons

Dec 18, 2009
San Diego, CA
last-train-tocool.blogspot.com
So?

Bryan Rust is a role player that struggled with a new contract. He’s also paced at 40 pts over the past three years.

Brandon Tanev has one good year and literally just played his first NHL season where he was outpaced significantly by Rust.

Tell me more about how Jack Johnson had a great stretch for us from December onward though.

Reactions: ColePens

Turin

Feb 27, 2018
Bryan Rust is a role player the struggled with a new contract.

So.. it’s nbd if Tanev replaces him and he’s the sweetener to the JJ deal? And that his play style is irrelevant to the team’s identity because speed doesn’t matter anymore and stuff?

Gurglesons

Dec 18, 2009
San Diego, CA
So.. it’s nbd if Tanev replaces him and he’s the sweetener to the JJ deal? And that his play style is irrelevant to the team’s identity because speed doesn’t matter anymore and stuff?

I understand the contract more if that is the intention.

It’s still acquiring a lesser version of Rust that does things that are arbitrary and IMO does not have the offensive chops to play a top six role and just by judging from his college numbers never has had those chops.

ColePens

RIP Fugu Buffaloed & parabola
Mar 27, 2008
Pittsburgh
There shouldn't be any debate. It's a stupid contract. Period. It's not subjective.

Tanev is a good player that I wanted to be brought to the Pens. He didn't deserve that contract in any way. JR is a f***ing lunatic. And I personally don't believe Tanev will live up to the 3.5m, even though I really enjoy the player. It's stupid.

You just have to hope he has a Ben Lovejoy run in him where he is a hero in the playoffs or something and makes it all worth while. Other than that, I cannot imagine him consistently living up to this contract.

Turin

Feb 27, 2018
You’re really overrating what 3.5 is in 2019 if you think that’s going to be particularly difficult to live up to.

Last edited:
Reactions: Peat and Riptide

ColePens

RIP Fugu Buffaloed & parabola
Mar 27, 2008
Pittsburgh
You’re really overrated what 3.5 is in 2019 if you think that’s going to be particularly difficult to live up to.

Seems to get you Bryan Rust. And he's never proved he can be Bryan Rust. Soooooo?

And the other thing...

1) Because JR moves on from dumb contracts doesn't make the initial contract not dumb. We just have to hope it pays off.

2) This idea that 3.5 is a legit price for this guy is asinine. I cannot believe people say this. Rust a year before. Hartman. And then when people say "BUT HE DOES THIS!" then go look at Ferland just signing. Like it's a joke. I can sit here and give comparables, and have given comparable contracts. Anyone who says "But you don't understand! 3.5 in 2019 is ______" rarely ever try to give a comparable.

Gurglesons

Dec 18, 2009
San Diego, CA
You can repeatedly say Tanev is the same thing as JJ all you want, but that won’t keep it from being as painfully wrong as it was the first time.

You’re overpaying a player with term and cash that is replaceable in every aspect of his game by a player on an ELC.

You can say the contract doesn’t matter, but it always does.

The difference between Adam Johnson and Brandon Tanev doesn’t win this team a cup. And the odd chance that Adam Johnson becomes the next Bryan Rust on an ELC definitely helps you get to that point. Not saying there was even 10% of that happen. Just, I don’t see why you add Tanev at 3.5 over 6 when you have;

Guentzel - Crosby - Rust
Galchenyuk - Malkin - Hornqvist
Simon - Bjugstad - Kahun

As a projected top nine. Like.. people say we NEEDED a player like Tanev? Why? With the above roster you’re fine.

Turin

Feb 27, 2018
Seems to get you Bryan Rust. And he's never proved he can be Bryan Rust. Soooooo?

And the other thing...

1) Because JR moves on from dumb contracts doesn't make the initial contract not dumb. We just have to hope it pays off.

2) This idea that 3.5 is a legit price for this guy is asinine. I cannot believe people say this. Rust a year before. Hartman. And then when people say "BUT HE DOES THIS!" then go look at Ferland just signing. Like it's a joke. I can sit here and give comparables, and have given comparable contracts. Anyone who says "But you don't understand! 3.5 in 2019 is ______" rarely ever try to give a comparable.

Rust was an RFA. 30 teams passed on giving Ferland that deal or at least anything significantly higher. Hagelin made 4 when the cap was like 5 million lower.

Turin

Feb 27, 2018
You’re overpaying a player with term and cash that is replaceable in every aspect of his game by a player on an ELC.

You can say the contract doesn’t matter, but it always does.

The difference between Adam Johnson and Brandon Tanev doesn’t win this team a cup. And the odd chance that Adam Johnson becomes the next Bryan Rust on an ELC definitely helps you get to that point. Not saying there was even 10% of that happen. Just, I don’t see why you add Tanev at 3.5 over 6 when you have;

Guentzel - Crosby - Rust
Galchenyuk - Malkin - Hornqvist
Simon - Bjugstad - Kahun

As a projected top nine.

1. Tanev is not a replacement level forward. He was that in his rookie season. He is a quality depth winger now. 2. Because Tanev does things that most of those forwards don’t.
3. Johnson was a non NHL entity when he signed his deal. Tanev is a good player at this very moment.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad