Salary Cap: Pittsburgh Penguins Salary Cap Thread - It's always better when we're together

Status
Not open for further replies.

Saints11

Jan 24, 2012
Pittsburgh
Honestly if Anaheim is still looking to move Henrique like some dumb rumour I read a while back...

Bjugstad, JJ, Simon/ZAR and our 2nd next year for Henrique I'd do in a heart beat.

Tanev, Henrique, Rust is an orgasm of speed.
Pens don’t have a 2nd next year. Henrique’s 5.8 contract extension might be too much.

Gurglesons

Dec 18, 2009
San Diego, CA
last-train-tocool.blogspot.com
Also @Solzhenitsyn and @Riptide I think I came up with a player we can hope (and followed a similar path as) Tanev turns into and actually someone that got a similar type deal.

alexandre-burrows-2016-39.jpg

Honour Over Glory

Fire Sully
Jan 30, 2012
It’s funny how Penguins fans are literally the only ones trying to defend this contract. But, you and SchmaltzLiquior can argue about how the central is the #toughest division in the NHL.
The only bad thing about tanevs contract is its 2-3yrs too long for his type of player.

Tanevs production has increased each year he's been in the NHL. He might have more to his game than any of us realize.

Andy99

Jun 26, 2017
8 pages this evening . . . I figured Jack Johnson was traded. Thanks for getting my hopes up, you jerks. :cry:

I know....I thought I was in a Twilight Zone episode when I was on page 36 reading a point about Tanev and then I flipped to 40 and I was reading the exact same point...it’s a good thing the US government gave up water boarding because this circuitous debate is a much more effective torture device than anything previously developed

SEALBound

Fancy Gina Carano
Sponsor
Jun 13, 2010
Until all the people realizing it was a bad contract and we are stuck with him stop caring and all of the people saying “give him a chance” actually watch him and realize we are stuck with him. Identical to JJ and Hunwick of the past two years.

Except, counter to your arguement, Hunwick was actually good until the concussion derailed him.

You know what hits and blocks mean. You don’t have the ****ing puck.

Wasn't your boy Bonino quite the shot blocker?

Looking up stats, your boy Ferland was quite the hitter too. Not 3rd...but 40th.

So why is it okay to throw temper tantrums about Tanev and then out of the other side of your mouth, stump non-stop for two guys that share the same qualities?

You wanna die on the Reaves comparison hill? Go for it. And yes Tanev is only fast because the central division or something.

giphy.gif

giphy.gif

8 pages this evening . . . I figured Jack Johnson was traded. Thanks for getting my hopes up, you jerks. :cry:

No dude, read up. You are seeing an absolute derailment by Pixie. It's as sad as it is entertaining with such classics as "Tanev is only fast because of the central division".

Reactions: Riptide

Honour Over Glory

Fire Sully
Jan 30, 2012
Except, counter to your arguement, Hunwick was actually good until the concussion derailed him.

Looking up stats, your boy Ferland was quite the hitter too. Not 3rd...but 40th.

So why is it okay to throw temper tantrums about Tanev and then out of the other side of your mouth, stump non-stop for two guys that share the same qualities?

giphy.gif

No dude, read up. You are seeing an absolute derailment by Pixie. It's as sad as it is entertaining with such classics as "Tanev is only fast because of the central division".
Lol he hates that Hunwick only turned to crap after his injury and was decent before that.

Gurglesons

Dec 18, 2009
San Diego, CA

giphy.gif

If you don’t understand Bonino a center who had a huge impact on the game and has regularly topped 35+ pts and Ferland who has shown great chemistry with elite talent in Gaudreau and Aho on both the LW and RW and Tanev a player having a career year at 27. I mean, I dunno.

Gurglesons

Dec 18, 2009
San Diego, CA
Lol he hates that Hunwick only turned to crap after his injury and was decent before that.

Hunwick player one full season the NHL since 2010-11 with the worst Toronto team in history.

He literally played like 3 games here where he “looked good” and then was painfully average.

The issue ONCE again was not with the player and is not with the player. Hunwick and Tanev are fine at their role as a bottom pairing D and a L4 wing. The issue is you are blocking the opportunity for young players to get a chance in the line-up by signing these players to long term deals. Hunwick, JJ, and now Tanev all commanded ice time due to the commitment.

You think someone like yourself that constantly bitches about coaching decisions that are direct impacts of this would get it.

I’m sure I’ll be fine with Tanev, like I was fine with ZAR and Simon last year. My main issue is people acting like he’s someone “we needed” or how he’s going to have a Hagelin like impact here, or how he should be tried with Geno. Just paint it as it is. JR massively overpaid a great 4th liner / 3rd line tweener because of words like “effort” “speed” and “buzzsaw”. It’s just poor management and the fact he got a hard on for a player like Tanev and basically put us over the cap to sign him is frankly embarassing.

As with all the Pens, I’ll root for him. As I rooted for JJ last year. Good luck talking about how Sullivan is responsible for everything you dislike on our squad tho’

Last edited:

3ladesof5teel

Feb 20, 2012
What exactly is being made up?

He’s a solid 4th liner who is going to be 28 in the first year of a 6 year deal with a career high of 29 points. He can fit in spurts on the 3rd line, but all of Simon, Kahun, McCann and Rust should play more minutes than him. Obv. Jake and Gally too.

Some of us view him as an easily replaced player in the role he should be playing and feel he’s getting blown up into being as effective of a player as Rust or Hagelin because he’s fast.

I personally am adamant that much like JJ he’ll be used inappropriately because of the contract, but that doesn’t matter because as @Riptide told me with JJ all season and last summer he would be “easily moveable” in the last couple years of the deal.

I think your blowing this up way to far.....and just to throw it out there why are saying Kahun should play more minuets? Kahun has proven nothing here?

I don't get you? Do you complain alot at home? o_O

Reactions: ZeroPucksGiven

Riptide

Dec 29, 2011
Yukon
Cooke was a 20 goals scorer multiple times in the O and actually played in the NHL relatively soon after being drafted. Which was what I was alluding to when I said ANY league. :)

And? I don't hear anyone complaining about Dumoulin, and it took him just as long as it took Tanev to make it to the NHL - and that's with spending 6x as long in the AHL.

Riptide

Dec 29, 2011
Yukon
Not sure why you would expect that Rust is and has clearly been the better player since they both played in the NCAA and AHL.

This isn’t NHL19. You don’t just magically get better with zone starts as your boy Sprong can attest.

So you don't think it's reasonable to expect any sort of bump from getting mainly DZ starts and playing a shutdown role with Copp and Lowry to going to the same deployment Rust had? AKA 66% of his TOI spent with Crosby or Malkin (along with Guentzel and another quality winger) and getting 50% OZ starts?

Because that's a pretty significant bump in the quality of his starts to put him into a much better chance to produce. He might not do it, and if he doesn't he'll quickly be moved down simply because we have too many other options... but the idea that if he's put in that role and won't produce any more then he did in Winnipeg is rather laughable. It might not be much more, but given his play style and the talent he'd be with, odds are if he got Rust's chances, he'd put him better numbers then he did last season.

Tom Hanks

Spelling mistakes brought to you by my iPhone.
Nov 10, 2017

I mean he had 6 games before his concussion and had 1 point, a negative +/- and overall the worst advanced stats of any of our D over those games.

After that he came back for another 27 games (then was injured again) in which he had 4 points, negative +/- and bad advanced stats.

Then was in an out for a handful of games.

3ladesof5teel

Feb 20, 2012
Because the Kahun is the type of young cheap offensive talent we have won with in all three of the Sid / Geno cups.

But.....he has not proven anything. Kahun could easily be a huge dud. To be so critical of some of these acquisitions and then put Kahun on a pedestal ,penciling him on L1 or L2 is jumping the gun

Riptide

Dec 29, 2011
Yukon
I think you need to check your stats. Dumo was a regular NHLer at 24.

Correct - 6 years after being drafted and after spending 3 full seasons in the AHL. Which is why I correctly pointed out that he took longer to get to the NHL and spent 6x as long in the AHL as Tanev did. Tanev made the NHL the year he turned pro after spending less than half a season in the AHL.

My point was that you brought up how apparently it matters how soon you play in the NHL after being drafted. Dumoulin is a perfect example as to why that's an absurd observation.

Bryan Rust is a role player that struggled with a new contract. He’s also paced at 40 pts over the past three years.

Brandon Tanev has one good year and literally just played his first NHL season where he was outpaced significantly by Rust.

Well for starters Tanev just finished his 2nd full NHL season.

Yes Rust did pace at ~40pts over the past 3 seasons. His #1 linemate was Crosby for 1213 of his 2516 ES minutes, or 48.2% of his icetime. His #2 linemate was Guentzel for 833 minutes, and Malkin was 413. Even if we ignore Guentzel as he's not a super star, Rust still had the benefit of playing with Crosby and Malkin for 64.6% of his icetime over the past 3 years while starting 62.3% of those shifts in the OZ. Most people would be honest enough to admit that it's an almost certainty that Rust got a little boost in his production due to his linemates and deployments that Tanev didn't get the benefit of. That doesn't mean he's going to get some massive jump in production, but the idea that he can't get another 5-10pts if he got the same benefits as Rust did is absurd.

Last edited:

TKalltheTime

KILLER PARTIES, ALMOST KILLED ME!
Jan 5, 2018
Los Angeles, CA
People going on and on about Bonino & all the ridiculous Reaves posts & all the other dumb crap people keep posting about... we deserve the Pens to miss the playoffs this years.

Honour Over Glory

Fire Sully
Jan 30, 2012
Hunwick player one full season the NHL since 2010-11 with the worst Toronto team in history.

He literally played like 3 games here where he “looked good” and then was painfully average.

The issue ONCE again was not with the player and is not with the player. Hunwick and Tanev are fine at their role as a bottom pairing D and a L4 wing. The issue is you are blocking the opportunity for young players to get a chance in the line-up by signing these players to long term deals. Hunwick, JJ, and now Tanev all commanded ice time due to the commitment.

You think someone like yourself that constantly *****es about coaching decisions that are direct impacts of this would get it.

I’m sure I’ll be fine with Tanev, like I was fine with ZAR and Simon last year. My main issue is people acting like he’s someone “we needed” or how he’s going to have a Hagelin like impact here, or how he should be tried with Geno. Just paint it as it is. JR massively overpaid a great 4th liner / 3rd line tweener because of words like “effort” “speed” and “buzzsaw”. It’s just poor management and the fact he got a hard on for a player like Tanev and basically put us over the cap to sign him is frankly embarassing.

As with all the Pens, I’ll root for him. As I rooted for JJ last year. Good luck talking about how Sullivan is responsible for everything you dislike on our squad tho’
I knew it would be easy but damn...

Like a door in Patrick Roy's house, you've become unhinged son.

Honour Over Glory

Fire Sully
Jan 30, 2012
I mean he had 6 games before his concussion and had 1 point, a negative +/- and overall the worst advanced stats of any of our D over those games.

After that he came back for another 27 games (then was injured again) in which he had 4 points, negative +/- and bad advanced stats.

Then was in an out for a handful of games.
You can't stat watch. He was actually decent in this 6 games.

Riptide

Dec 29, 2011
Yukon
I can see that I mislead you with my post. It was lazy and didn't say enough. Sorry.

The 'absurd things' comment was directed at the idea that he's going to suddenly blossom into a top six forward. I think that's unrealistic. He could occasionally see time there but I'll be shocked if he is a permanent fixture at the top of the lineup. I'll happily be wrong. I'm not pretending to be an expert.

I don't think anyone - even myself has that (legit top 6) as an expectation of his play. Do I think he WILL do that? No. Do I think he could do that? Perhaps. It's unlikely and I'm not holding him to that as a goal/standard, but given that he should still be developing to some extent as a player given how little pro experience he actually has, I think it's a possibility, even if remote. What I do think is likely is that if he is placed in the top 6, that we see something much more Rust like (15-20g/35pts+) out of him - while also providing attributes that Rust doesn't provide. If the fit was right, that for me would be a win.

Reactions: TooManyHumans
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->