Salary Cap: Pittsburgh Penguins Salary Cap Thread - It's always better when we're together

Status
Not open for further replies.

Dipsy Doodle

Rent A Barn
May 28, 2006
Brandon Tanev has one good year and literally just played his first NHL season where he was outpaced significantly by Rust.

Saying that Rust outpaced Tanev significantly when he scored 5 more ES points with Crosby and Guentzel instead of Lowry and Perreault doesn't get less ridiculous the more often you repeat it.

2) This idea that 3.5 is a legit price for this guy is asinine. I cannot believe people say this. Rust a year before. Hartman. And then when people say "BUT HE DOES THIS!" then go look at Ferland just signing. Like it's a joke. I can sit here and give comparables, and have given comparable contracts. Anyone who says "But you don't understand! 3.5 in 2019 is ______" rarely ever try to give a comparable.

Why do you think Tanev's season last year isn't comparable to Rust's or Ferland's?

Their ES production is comparable despite Tanev having far worse zone starts and linemates.

It's a rich contract because of his short track record, but Tanev was as good as Rust or Ferland last season based on the numbers. He just didn't have the benefit of OZ deployment, superstar linemates, or PP time.

Gurglesons

Dec 18, 2009
San Diego, CA
last-train-tocool.blogspot.com
Saying that Rust outpaced Tanev significantly when he scored 5 more ES points with Crosby and Guentzel instead of Lowry and Perreault doesn't get less ridiculous the more often you repeat it.

Why do you think Tanev's season last year isn't comparable to Rust's or Ferland's?

Their ES production is comparable despite Tanev having far worse zone starts and linemates.

It's a rich contract because of his short track record, but Tanev was as good as Rust or Ferland last season based on the numbers.

You do realize Rust’s only other points last year came short handed right? You know. The area where Tanev plays more minutes a game or something someone from Manitoba just said.

Rust plays at a 40 pt pace largely ES and SH.

Turin

Feb 27, 2018
You wanna die on the Reaves comparison hill? Go for it. And yes Tanev is only fast because the central division or something.

giphy.gif

Reactions: Soggy Biscuit

K Fleur

Sacrifice
Mar 28, 2014
Who is comparing Tanev to Reaves? You wanna take the opinions from fans of some loser teams at face value(on their "fan favorite players no less) that's your own prerogative. I'll pass.

Turin

Feb 27, 2018
When your *****ing about Tanev in the top six by January can you change your screen name to Bryan Rust: Must be 17 or Above to Ride?

I don’t usually bitch about roster deployment apart from JJ nor do I expect Tanev to be in the top six.

Dipsy Doodle

Rent A Barn
May 28, 2006
Why are you citing only Rust’s ES points when he plays largely PK and ES minutes JUST LIKE Tanev?

ES production is the general standard, but we can compare total production with these 2, sure.

Tanev had 29 non-PP points with 42% OZ starts and Lowry and Perreault on his most common line.
Rust had 35 non-PP points with 49% OZ starts and Crosby and Guentzel on his most common line.

None of that constitutes Rust "significantly outpacing" Tanev. He outscored him by a redneck handful while playing with a generational center and a 40 goal scorer instead of a couple guys who scored a combined 54 points last season.

Reactions: Riptide

Turin

Feb 27, 2018
Who is comparing Tanev to Reaves? You wanna take opposing fans, of some loser team's, opinions of their favorites at face value that's your own prerogative. I'll pass.

Shockingly nobody from Winnipeg thinks Tanev sucks, and the stats don’t suggest he sucks. Meanwhile a handful of St. Louis fans thought Reaves was a good 4th liner, when the stats showed he kinda sucked. JJ, everybody knew he sucked. Comparing them just makes you look ignorant.

Gurglesons

Dec 18, 2009
San Diego, CA
ES production is the general standard, but we can compare total production with these 2, sure.

Tanev had 29 non-PP points with 42% OZ starts and Lowry and Perreault on his most common line.
Rust had 35 non-PP points with 49% OZ starts and Crosby and Guentzel on his most common line.

None of that constitutes Rust "significantly outpacing" Tanev. He outscored him by a redneck handful while playing with a generational center and a 40 goal scorer instead of a couple guys who scored a combined 54 points last season.

Is 10 more points a redneck handful in Manitoba?

Gurglesons

Dec 18, 2009
San Diego, CA
Shockingly nobody from Winnipeg thinks Tanev sucks, and the stats don’t suggest he sucks. Meanwhile a handful of St. Louis fans thought Reaves was a good 4th liner, when the stats showed he kinda sucked. JJ, everybody knew he sucked. Comparing them just makes you look ignorant.

The stats show Tanev is a painfully average NHLer who is a negative impact offensively.

Turin

Feb 27, 2018
The fast cuz central division argument is really enough to point out to everyone that because you are butt hurt about the contract you are choosing to argue in bad faith regarding the actual player.

K Fleur

Sacrifice
Mar 28, 2014

I'm not comparing them... I'm saying that, for the most part, I don't give a shit about opposing fans opinions on the player they just lost...especially not "fan favorites". Certainly not in any way to try and justify the move.

I guess I'd rather "look ignorant" than be so dense that I need this spelled out to me. Twice.

Gurglesons

Dec 18, 2009
San Diego, CA
The fast cuz central division argument is really enough to point out to everyone that because you are butt hurt about the contract you are choosing to argue in bad faith regarding the actual player.

It’s funny how Penguins fans are literally the only ones trying to defend this contract. But, you and SchmaltzLiquior can argue about how the central is the #toughest division in the NHL.

Turin

Feb 27, 2018
I'm not comparing them... I'm saying that, for the most part, I don't give a **** about any fans opinion on the player they just lost. Certainly not in any way to try and justify the move.

I guess I'd rather "look ignorant" than be so dense to need this spelled out to me.

Cool, people familiar with player like him and you, unfamiliar with player, disagree vehemently. The internet in a nutshell.

I don’t care about hating the term, you might as well, but the shit being made up about the player itself is dumb.

Turin

Feb 27, 2018
It’s funny how Penguins fans are literally the only ones trying to defend this contract. But, you and SchmaltzLiquior can argue about how the central is the #toughest division in the NHL.

1. Defending the player not as much contract.
2. I couldn’t care less about the central division.

I’ve never seen the goalposts moved so much in one discussion.

K Fleur

Sacrifice
Mar 28, 2014
Cool, people familiar with player like him and you, unfamiliar with player, disagree vehemently. The internet in a nutshell.

I don’t care about hating the term, you might as well, but the **** being made up about the player itself is dumb.

Other than not finding hits to be an important statistic I haven't said a word(That I can remember atleast) about Tanev the player. I don't know exactly how I "disagree vehemently". It's like you're either arguing with someone else or just making shit up at this point.

I hope Tanev comes here and plays out of his mind. JR certainly gave him enough term to prove himself.

Last edited:

Gurglesons

Dec 18, 2009
San Diego, CA

I don’t care about hating the term, you might as well, but the **** being made up about the player itself is dumb.

What exactly is being made up?

He’s a solid 4th liner who is going to be 28 in the first year of a 6 year deal with a career high of 29 points. He can fit in spurts on the 3rd line, but all of Simon, Kahun, McCann and Rust should play more minutes than him. Obv. Jake and Gally too.

Some of us view him as an easily replaced player in the role he should be playing and feel he’s getting blown up into being as effective of a player as Rust or Hagelin because he’s fast.

I personally am adamant that much like JJ he’ll be used inappropriately because of the contract, but that doesn’t matter because as @Riptide told me with JJ all season and last summer he would be “easily moveable” in the last couple years of the deal.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad