Salary Cap: Pittsburgh Penguins Salary Cap Thread - Is one moon enough

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ginormousthumbs

Jul 7, 2013
West Side
With the amount of guys coming off the books this summer, coupled with the amount of expendable players we could/should be looking to move... I wouldn't be so sure.

Would it be in our best interest? Probably not, considering the cost to acquire and/or sign, but JR's never been gun-shy about going after a guy he wants, regardless of cost or consequence.

I was going more for the play on words. I still think Hall would want too much cash but I guess I wouldn’t put it past JR to empty the bank.

Big Friggin Dummy

Feb 22, 2019
I was going more for the play on words. I still think Hall would want too much cash but I guess I wouldn’t put it past JR to empty the bank.
:laugh: I don't think it's likely, and I'm not really even considering it realistically, but I would be shocked if JR didn't try super hard to coax Hall into coming here this summer (assuming he makes it to FA).

And I do think Hall would be exceptional here, give us a legit gamebreaking talent beyond Sid and Geno (and by extension Jake and Rust), but I don't see how JR could make it happen without severely messing with our ability to have quality depth.

I'd much rather JR do what he has to do in order to secure us a guy like Trouba or Hamilton. I keep harping on it and while it won't be easy or cheap to do, I think that's the most important thing for this team now and moving forward. Finding Geno and Rust their version of Jake is a close second.

canadianguy77

Apr 20, 2006
Dude what team are you watching. Because im watching the one that has had the worst injuries somehow manage to not only being solidly in the playoffs but also have the best underlying analytics in the league.
Analytics...again.
Ice a team of ZARs and Simons. See where that gets you. (It gets you a top-5 pick)

Reactions: Ryder71

Zero Pucks

Size matters
May 17, 2009
I don't see why people complain about Galch like they do. Yes, his production is struggling a bit but it's early in the year and for whatever reason Sullivan hates him and delegates him to 4th line duties, yet Simon gets kept in the top 9 because????
Yeah. It'd be smart to be a little more patient with Galchenyuk. This time last year Rust had a grand total of 1 goal, and now he's looking like a legit top 6 winger. Plus Chucky is two years younger.

Would I listen to offers? Sure. But I wouldn't be in a big rush to ship him out.

WheresRamziAbid

Oct 31, 2013
Analytics...again.
Ice a team of ZARs and Simons. See where that gets you. (It gets you a top-5 pick)

good lord, you understand you know guys like um Letang, Crosby, Malkin etc have pretty good analytics year after year after year too right or are you completely obtuse?

SprootsMasterFlex

Sprootsing 4 Life
Apr 20, 2004
Montreal, Quebec
Dahlin is on the verge coming back from a concussion and that puts Buffalo in a crunch with 8 healthy defensemen. Of the 8, Dahlin and Montour have been their most consistent performers, and there's no way I can see Boterill moving one of these 2. McCabe, Miller & Scandella have been taking turns watching from the press box as a healthy scratch. If Buffalo is indeed interested in Galchenyuk, I'd assume it's for one of these 3. Ristolainen is always a possibility assuming GMJR adds a valuable piece with term to entice GMJB but I believe Boterill realizes how valuable he is and he has turned his game around of late. He fits with their plan and has been getting sufficient minutes to make him satisfied playing for the Sabres.

Empoleon8771

Aug 25, 2015
Redmond, WA
Miller for Galchenyuk and Riikola makes a lot of sense to me. You get a Schultz replacement for next year and an exceptionally strong #7D for this year, while Miller is a free agent after next year (so his contract doesn't interfere with Marino's potential extension). Letang gets hurt quite often, so it would be nice to have that insurance too.

I'd actually expand it even more to Riikola and Galchenyuk for Miller and Rodrigues. Rodrigues is having a down year and I don't particularly value him that highly, but that makes the salary swap almost dead even and it gives the Penguins a versatile depth option who can play either center or wing.

Last edited:

WheresRamziAbid

Oct 31, 2013
Assuming its true that Buffalo is interested in Galchenyuk id definetly be interested.

even for a guy like McCabe who isnt anything special but can fill in while Dumo is hurt and hopefully be good enough to push JJ out.

Reactions: OGBobbyFarnham

chethejet

Feb 4, 2012
If you believe Marino is a top 4 pairing now, Miller is a decent add as a bottom pairing. But I think GMJR will see what Schultz is wanting before any move. If he want anything north of 6 he is gone. If he want more that 4 years of term, maybe the AAV can be around 5.5 for say 5 years maybe that plays. For me, he is replacable if Marino is considered a top 4 D man for this year. So Galchenyuk for Miller and a 2nd for Schultz works for me.

Louis Hensler

Jul 24, 2019
I don't like any suggestions of trading Poulin and/or a 1st round pick package for a winger or dman. I know Sid and Geno have a small window but at some point you cant keep pissing away your teams future.
There is no future beyond Sid and Geno other than a few seasons of high picks and painful rebuilding.

Andy99

Jun 26, 2017
I don’t think Schultz is going anywhere this year and that’s not because he’s playing well (he isn’t)...it’s because 1) I doubt we’ll be able to get a better overall player thru a trade (Miller is not better overall) and 2) Schultz can QB the PP if anything happens to Letang, he’s Letang insurance...

Reactions: ronduguayshair

Mr Jiggyfly

Jan 29, 2004
There is no future beyond Sid and Geno other than a few seasons of high picks and painful rebuilding.

I think the issue is trying to figure out how long they are going to be around.

2-3 years? 5-7 more?

Crosby has already reinvented his game and IMHO can be a 70+ point, two way pivot into his late 30s barring injury.

Malkin I think is starting to get that this season as well.

If you sell the farm too much, there is a risk of these guys still being very good players in their late 30s, but surrounded by a major lack of talent.

If I knew they had say, exactly two years left, I’d move Poulin, I’d move Addison, I’d move their 2020 and 2021 firsts and just go for it.

However, we just don’t know and that’s the balancing act JR has to figure out.

Beauner

Jun 14, 2011
Pittsburgh
Depends on how much Hall actually wants to win. He's been on crap teams his whole career, but on the other hand he is in line for a big pay-day. He talks about wanting to win, and he can come to a situation where that is a) possible b) he'd fit in perfectly and c) he'll have the chance to have a major part in that, not just as a complimentary piece. He'd be seen as kind of the "last push" in this era.

Obviously he has to be willing to take a cut from what he would otherwise get, but as long as it's not more than a few million I could see him enticed to coming if he's truly serious about trying to win

Big Friggin Dummy

Feb 22, 2019
I still don't, and never will agree with the "there is no future" stuff. It's bull, imo.

Plenty of teams without superstar, generational talents out there doing well. Not cruising along at the top or anything, but doing fine.

Reactions: ChaosAgent

Trade

Guentzel is ELITE
Apr 13, 2015
I don't like any suggestions of trading Poulin and/or a 1st round pick package for a winger or dman. I know Sid and Geno have a small window but at some point you cant keep pissing away your teams future.
Especially when Poulin could realsitically be on the big squad as early as next season.

I love Gallagher and think he'd be amazing with Sid, but I really wanna see how Poulin pans out since he's not years and years away.

Reactions: Tacitus Kilgore

Louis Hensler

Jul 24, 2019
I think the issue is trying to figure out how long they are going to be around.

2-3 years? 5-7 more?

Crosby has already reinvented his game and IMHO can be a 70+ point, two way pivot into his late 30s barring injury.

Malkin I think is starting to get that this season as well.

If you sell the farm too much, there is a risk of these guys still being very good players in their late 30s, but surrounded by a major lack of talent.

If I knew they had say, exactly two years left, I’d move Poulin, I’d move Addison, I’d move their 2020 and 2021 firsts and just go for it.

However, we just don’t know and that’s the balancing act JR has to figure out.
Agree that there is no point to giving away assets who might help within the next few years, but each year the window closes a little more. The top priority always has to be to win this year because the chance of winning next year will be just a little bit less. And I think anything beyond Sid's and Geno's present contracts is rebuild territory.

Louis Hensler

Jul 24, 2019
I still don't, and never will agree with the "there is no future" stuff. It's bull, imo.

Plenty of teams without superstar, generational talents out there doing well. Not cruising along at the top or anything, but doing fine.
Winning the Cup without a generational talent is pretty rare. Whether fortunately or unfortunately, winning the Cup now is the standard in Pittsburgh.

Reactions: OGBobbyFarnham

Louis Hensler

Jul 24, 2019
The goal is to avoid becoming Detroit after they lost Dats and Zetterberg.
Becoming Detroit is the best way to rebuild. Our string of extremely high draft picks over a period of a few years is why we have been perennial contenders since Sid, Geno, and Fleury entered their primes. I like that model better than the decades of mediocrity model.

Big Friggin Dummy

Feb 22, 2019
Winning the Cup without a generational talent is pretty rare. Whether fortunately or unfortunately, winning the Cup now is the standard in Pittsburgh.
Bruins, Kings, Blues, Ducks, Canes

The Penguins and Caps are the only teams in the past ~20 years to win the Cup while having generational talents. The Hawks have Kane, I guess, but I wouldn't put him on a level close to Sid, Geno or Ovechkin over their careers.

Reactions: EightyOne

ronduguayshair

Oct 23, 2017
I don’t think Schultz is going anywhere this year and that’s not because he’s playing well (he isn’t)...it’s because 1) I doubt we’ll be able to get a better overall player thru a trade (Miller is not better overall) and 2) Schultz can QB the PP if anything happens to Letang, he’s Letang insurance...

He’s worth little to nothing as a trade chip for a team playing for the cup like us due to his free agency status.

Reactions: Andy99
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad