Salary Cap: Pittsburgh Penguins Salary Cap Thread - I got a faulty parachute

Status
Not open for further replies.

JTG

Sep 30, 2007
I know JR doesn't want to trade that first, but if I were GM watching this team right now, I'd definitely get after it this season.

Reactions: Big Friggin Dummy

Big Friggin Dummy

Feb 22, 2019
I know JR doesn't want to trade that first, but if I were GM watching this team right now, I'd definitely get after it this season.
I really hate the idea of trading 1st rounders as the Sid/Geno/Letang era winds down, but if we can land someone who is going to be around well into/beyond their decline, so be it.

If not, keep that 1st.

Dipsy Doodle

Rent A Barn
May 28, 2006
you can’t take a snippet in time...you could look at October thru December last year and he’d be one of the worst, and then the best from January to March, and then below average during the POs...look at his overall career since he started as the starting goalie in 2016-17...

Isn't that...exactly what you're doing here? Citing stats over a player's whole previous season is the opposite of cherry-picking.

Murray has had one bad season as a Penguin...and that was the year he had concussion issues and his father died.

Reactions: td_ice

Sidney the Kidney

One last time
Jun 29, 2009
The issue is what do you trade right now? I guess Chucky or ZAR..

I'd opt for ZAR for no other reason than to remove him from Sullivan's grasp. If Chucky sucks, Sullivan will have no issues benching him/demoting him. If ZAR sucks, Sullivan will just bump him up to the top PP unit to get him out of his funk.

I may or may not be exaggerating due to my annoyance with the ZAR love in the organization.

deakka

Nov 6, 2009
If we have a playoff spot pretty clear by the deadline - i might be in board moving the 1st. Looking at the standings now and the fact we are a Good 4-6 weeks until all th3 important players are back?
0% the 1st is in play for me .

JimmyTwoTimes

Apr 13, 2010
We should be first in line for trading with Minny(Guerin).

Id take Zucker. Id even take Eric Staal whos still doing great. His 42 g 34 a last year and 6g9a so far this year. Making only 3.25 mil for another year after this. We get our other Staal as the 3C. Guerin loves ZAR. He loves Bjorkvist. Yeah hes out rest of year but they are supposedly rebuilding.

Could send Schultz that way too who Minny could then flip for 1st +. Since we dont want to do that. We need players to help us this year, not futures for him.

We could then replace Schultz with another UFA dman. Using Simon and a 3rd or whatever. Or Bjusgtad as well.

Could see...

Guentzel - Crosby - Kahun
McCann - Malkin - Rust
Zucker - Staal - Galchenyuk
Tanev - Blueger - Hornqvist

Beat that.

Honour Over Glory

Fire Sully
Jan 30, 2012
Pageau and Rust. The two of them quite literally shock me every passing game. Two guys who haven't scored a ton and are on absolute tears right now.

Rust's goal pace in the last 3 seasons prior to this one:

2016-17: 22 goals
2017-18: 15 goals
2018-19: 21 goals

I may be his biggest homer, but the guy shouldn't shock you at all for his production. It's that he somehow gets hurt and then his game is off because he's lost the groove he was in and goes on a cold streak.

He's on a 60 goal pace right now, the only time this is a reality is when I am in EA and Rust is having one of his consistent 70 goal seasons for me. He won't hit 60, but I think this is the year he will hit the 20 goal mark and not in a "on pace for, if he was healthy!"...but in a "Rust just had his 20th goal!"

JTG

Sep 30, 2007
Rust's goal pace in the last 3 seasons prior to this one:

2016-17: 22 goals
2017-18: 15 goals
2018-19: 21 goals

I may be his biggest homer, but the guy shouldn't shock you at all for his production. It's that he somehow gets hurt and then his game is off because he's lost the groove he was in and goes on a cold streak.

He's on a 60 goal pace right now, the only time this is a reality is when I am in EA and Rust is having one of his consistent 70 goal seasons for me. He won't hit 60, but I think this is the year he will hit the 20 goal mark and not in a "on pace for, if he was healthy!"...but in a "Rust just had his 20th goal!"

Yeah you're the biggest homer lol.

Never would have I expected to be able to bank on Rust for offense like this.

Shrimper

Trick or ruddy treat
Feb 20, 2010
Essex
Everybody on the current roster should be on the table except Malkin and Crosby. We have excess in some areas, and a great need for another top-six forward (preferably right handed, preferably who can shoot to make the power play lethal again).

I would prefer not to trade the young, cheap talent like Marino, Pettersson, Jarry, Kahun, Lafferty and McCann.

Roster composition is an issue, and salaries are an issue, but so is the fact that every single forward that JR brings in regresses under Sullivan the moment he arrives. Tanner Pearson wound up on the fourth line here, and he is once again a top-six player in Vancouver (like he was in LA before he hit rock-bottom). Derick Brassard was absolute garbage for us, and he looked completely out of place as a winger here. Now with the Isles, he looks great again and he even looks comfortable on the wing. Ryan Reaves was a very different case, but he too once again looks like the player he was before Sullivan got a hold of him.

SO, I would not blame JR if he felt a little gun-shy right about now. Galchenyuk is on the fourth line and he looks like diminishing returns, just like the others. Nick Bjugstad is a terrible fit for this team and his offensive game has also gone into the toilet. He looks like Riley Sheahan right now.

It is wonderful that McCann looks great and is such a great fit here. It's great that after a shaky start Kahun has gotten going. It is a godsend that Tanev has fit in like a glove. But this team needs offense. Badly. There HAS to be room for another offensive guy who is not necessarily Guy Carbonneau when he does not have the puck. Sullivan has to be more patient with the skilled forwards. It would also help if he gave Lafferty more of a role. The kid has more skill than most up front, and he does not hurt us defensively. And he skates well enough, too. And he plays all three positions. There is no excuse for him to still be the 13th forward.

I keep saying this but Crosby and Malkin are not getting younger (or less prone to injury). To ask them to carry the full load at this stage of their careers is assinine. I understand that Sullivan is playing a far more defensive system now, way more disciplined and he is getting results. Great. But without more easy offense, and without a PP threat, we cannot get out of this division (let alone compete for the Cup).

Whoever JR gets next, hopefully the guy is an 82-game player, too. We really need that.

Bit drastic to sughest everyone is on the table.

Reactions: Hamurai

Andy99

Jun 26, 2017
Yeah you're the biggest homer lol.

Never would have I expected to be able to bank on Rust for offense like this.

Rust is shooting at like 26% ....unsustainable...hopefully it continues but don’t bank on it..

The Old Master

come and take it.
Sep 27, 2004
burgh
Rust is shooting at like 26% ....unsustainable...hopefully it continues but don’t bank on it..
i thought the same thing about jake. but its been 3 years and i'm still waiting.:laugh:
and i might be waiting another 15 years but i know i will be proved right some time.

Reactions: Andy99

SEALBound

Fancy Gina Carano
Sponsor
Jun 13, 2010
Drouin is out for a little while. Wonder if Montreal would have interest in bringing Galchenyuk back?

Really wish Bjugstad wasn't injured right now either. Those two are our biggest "hockey trade" chips. I would swap ZAR and Simon too, maybe, but those guys don't carry a ton of value. Simon is likely more valuable to us than what he'd bring back in a trade.

Its just really hard to pin point what we need right now IMHO. I mean, what we REALLY need is health. And we need a period of health that allows us to evaluate how the healthy team plays. How long have we had...two periods...with the full team? Biggest need right now I can anticipate is Sid's RW but I'm not sure who or how we get that person. If we use Chucky, that leaves a gap on Malkin's LW but I think McCann should be that guy. Just means Bjugstad needs to stay and be productive.

And if we use our trade chips up front, do we look to upgrade at Defense as well and if so, how do we do that? I think we are in a dangerous time right now with regard to draft picks. I just don't think we can afford to send out our 1st unless it is truly justified or part of a larger, longer term trade that involves bringing in a young, longer term asset. We have so many guys to resign this summer that it's going to be tough. The only way to cope with the losses of guys we can't afford is to replace them with good young guys. Legare, Poulin, Addison, POJ, and even Lafferty are all good starts but they are not going to replace a Sid or Geno. We need that first in hopes we find our Barzel or Kuznetsov or similiar.

Dipsy Doodle

Rent A Barn
May 28, 2006
I wonder if LA would entertain moving Doughty. With the injuries to Letang and Schultz year after year, I'd pay a king's ransom for an elite #1 who you know would be in the line-up every night and just use Marino as the 2nd pair RHD.

Beats missing one or the other of Letang or Schultz every night.

molon labe

Jul 13, 2016
Florida
I wonder if LA would entertain moving Doughty. With the injuries to Letang and Schultz year after year, I'd pay a king's ransom for an elite #1 who you know would be in the line-up every night and just use Marino as the 2nd pair RHD.

One of the reasons I've defended (not necessarily on here) his contract. #1 D money should come with a certain expectation of games played - not just minutes each game you do play. That's a highly depended-upon position and you want your guy to be there night in and night out (barring freak injury). Our #1D has only played in 74% of the teams games since he became our #1. This year - he's making about that percentage off of what top-end guys are making (excluding outliers like Carlsen).

One thing I will say about having Schultz/Marino in the lineup - that at least our entire freaking system doesn't have to change every 15 games with Letang in the lineup. The guys are able to play essentially the exact same brand of hockey whether he's there or not - could not say that in years past.

Reactions: Soggy Biscuit

JackFr

Jun 18, 2010
I wouldn't make a trade right now. But then again I still staunchly believe that Simon and ZAR are valuable to this team so that puts me in the minority.

I hold onto that first until I can get Zucker or Hall for it. This team is for real, no half measures.

JackFr

Jun 18, 2010

Dude Doughty is beyond washed up now. He is not an elite #1 anymore and his contract is maybe the worst in the league.

Reactions: ownal

Louis Hensler

Jul 24, 2019
If JR could pull off two deals for Bjugstad and Galchenyuk and the players he brings back mesh quickly and are productive, this team can absolutely do it this season. The flashes they have had have been next level team hockey. Cut the fat and bring in some guys who can be good role guys who can score a bit.
I'm not sure Murray has been good enough. He would have to step up in the playoffs.

ownal

Jan 26, 2019
Pittsburgh
Leafs and Knights need a solid backup goalie. I don't think their backups have even won a game yet.

DeSmith&Zar for Johnsson

Louis Hensler

Jul 24, 2019
I'd opt for ZAR for no other reason than to remove him from Sullivan's grasp. If Chucky sucks, Sullivan will have no issues benching him/demoting him. If ZAR sucks, Sullivan will just bump him up to the top PP unit to get him out of his funk.

I may or may not be exaggerating due to my annoyance with the ZAR love in the organization.
ZAR has been a consistently effective player, just hurt too often.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad