Salary Cap: Pittsburgh Penguins Salary Cap Thread: FA Begins & So Does Fleury Watch

Status
Not open for further replies.

Big Friggin Dummy

Feb 22, 2019
I suppose Schmidt's cap is enough to clear room for Pietrangelo and his ~$10.5 million AAV, but doesn't leave them a whole lotta room. I think MAF would still probably be dealt, but having Pietrangelo on board probably eliminates the possibility of us landing a great add-on in a MAF deal.

Jacob

as seen on TV
Feb 27, 2002
Is Hamonic retiring? I know he’s always wanted to stay out west anyway so not realistic for us.

Empoleon8771

Aug 25, 2015
Redmond, WA
Lol Vegas fans still think they'll be able to get out of Fleury's contract without eating money or giving up much :laugh:

Not buying out Fleury has already cost them Schmidt, and they refuse to admit that not buying out Fleury was a mistake.

Peat

Jun 14, 2016
I'm seeing people speculate there's a handshake on Buffalo having a handshake with Hall on trading him at 50% retained to his contender of choice at the deadline, but I'm not sure I'm buying that.

ZorkEnchanter

Aug 16, 2020
Lol Vegas fans still think they'll be able to get out of Fleury's contract without eating money or giving up much :laugh:

Not buying out Fleury has already cost them Schmidt, and they refuse to admit that not buying out Fleury was a mistake.

Does Fleury have to be protected in Seattle Expansion?

ZorkEnchanter

Aug 16, 2020
No but they have to trade him to get cap complaints, so the expansion draft doesn't even matter.

I was wondering more towards the people that trade for him. With Covid over the next two seasons, Vegas will have to lose that #1 and a top prospect to move him- minimum.

Tom Hanks

Spelling mistakes brought to you by my iPhone.
Nov 10, 2017
I'm seeing people speculate there's a handshake on Buffalo having a handshake with Hall on trading him at 50% retained to his contender of choice at the deadline, but I'm not sure I'm buying that.

If they are in a playoff spot they won’t if they’re out they will.

HandshakeLine

A real jerk thing
Nov 9, 2005
Praha, CZ

What if... dun dun dun, Buffalo decides IT is a contender?

Dipsy Doodle

Rent A Barn
May 28, 2006
There's a pretty wide gulf between being permanently ostracized from polite society and simply not getting paid millions of dollars to play professional sports. You could make an argument that Voynov has "done his time," and that's fine, but that doesn't entitle him to an NHL career. Personally, I don't want him anywhere near this team.

Coming out of jail doesn't entitle you to a job either. But if you're good enough to do it...

Freeptop

Jun 17, 2009
Pittsburgh, PA
Wow Buffalo is really surprising. I thought for sure Hall would go somewhere he had a better chance of winning.

Weird choice for Hall. Buffalo isn’t like Detroit was in 2008 for Hossa.

I can see this for a few reasons:
1. Not many teams can afford an 8M cap hit right now.
2. He's betting that he can get an even bigger payday after playing with Eichel for a year.
3. As a one year deal, that'll be very movable at the deadline, if the Sabres are once again out of it. So he isn't even necessarily giving up a chance of winning, in the end.

Reactions: Andy99 and Jacob

SomeDude

Mar 6, 2006
Pittsburghish
Given Hall’s injury history and Buffalo’s history with.....everything related to professional sports.

This won’t end well for anyone.

JimmyTwoTimes

Apr 13, 2010
If we really want to go all in get Nate Schmidt from Vegas...by taking on Fleury at 4mil. Thats about 10mil in cap.

We have 2.5. Would need to clear 7.5. Trading Petts would get us down to 3.5. DeSmith down to 2.25. Then you can just move out Ruh and ZAR.

Dumo - Letang
Schmidt - Marino
Matheson - Riikola

Jarry
MAF

Tell me thats not a better D and Goalie duo

Yeah it wouldnt happen but JR said he wants to go all in. Even if Petts somehow becomes as good as Nate eventually...its not happening these next few years.

We wouldnt even have to worry about scoring from our bottom 6. Our Defense would all get 10-15 goals other than Dumo. With Riikola around 8 or so

But whats even better is it allows us to trade Letang next year instead of him walking for nothing back. I cant see him wanting to stay anyway, thats prob why we traded for Matheson. To start preparing for Letang to be gone

Reactions: Darren McCord

MayorofWBS

Apr 14, 2015
Mars
I suppose Schmidt's cap is enough to clear room for Pietrangelo and his ~$10.5 million AAV, but doesn't leave them a whole lotta room. I think MAF would still probably be dealt, but having Pietrangelo on board probably eliminates the possibility of us landing a great add-on in a MAF deal.
How much can a team go over in the offseason? If Pietrangelo is ~$10.5 million AAV, there's still more moves that will be needed even trading Schmidt for pennies on the dollar.

Reactions: Big Friggin Dummy
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad