Salary Cap: Pittsburgh Penguins Salary Cap Thread: FA Begins & So Does Fleury Watch

Status
Not open for further replies.

Empoleon8771

Aug 25, 2015
Redmond, WA
It's worth pointing out that the most common linemates for Jankowski in 2018-2019 were Neal, Bennett, Hathaway, Czarnik and Mangiapane. He had 14 goals and 32 points in 79 games while playing with that at ES. Bennett was probably the best offensive player of that group, and he hasn't even hit 30 points in a year since 2015-2016.

Like I was saying in the other thread, I really don't see why 2018-2019 Jankowski in Bonino's usage can't match what Bonino did in Pittsburgh. Bonino put up 25 ES points over a season when he mostly played with Kessel. In his entire time in Pittsburgh, he averaged 29 ES points per 82 games, a big chunk of which Kessel was involved in. There really isn't a high bar here for Jankowski to meet what Bonino did.

Jankowski did have a terrible year last year, but when you're playing with guys like Bennett, Frolik, Rieder, Lucic and Rinaldo as your most common linemates in 4th line mop up duty, what do you expect? It's a very similar situation to Riley Sheahan in 2016-2017.

Last edited:
Reactions: RSPens and ETA

K Fleur

Sacrifice
Mar 28, 2014
And on the third day Yinzer Jesus is risen.

4445de514298b5b069cc586a56a20b9f.gif

Empoleon8771

Aug 25, 2015
Redmond, WA
Good, the Penguins got their 3rd goalie with Lagace. Assuming they don't make any other moves with goalies, I'm fine with what they have for now.

Don't think this gets the Penguins in the clear with MAF, though. I think a Fleury trade would probably involve DeSmith going out.

Empoleon8771

Aug 25, 2015
Redmond, WA
A Fleury trade would need 50% retention from Vegas, wouldn't it?

Probably even more than that, they probably need to get a third team involved and Vegas probably needs to eat a little bit. Something like Vegas eats $1 million and another team eats $3 million to get Fleury down to $3 million, which is probably doable for the Penguins with sending DeSmith out.

What's funny about Vegas' current situation is that they may have to do this regardless of who is trading for Fleury. The 2 easiest Fleury trades were Minnesota and New Jersey, and both of those teams got their goalies yesterday.

Dipsy Doodle

Rent A Barn
May 28, 2006
Jankowski did have a terrible year last year, but when you're playing with guys like Bennett, Frolik, Rieder, Lucic and Rinaldo as your most common linemates in 4th line mop up duty, what do you expect? It's a very similar situation to Riley Sheahan in 2016-2017.

If his production is supposedly dragged down by his linemates, I expect him to be outproducing them.

Jankowski did not outpace any of them, including Lucic and Rinaldo. One could more justifiably make the argument that he's bringing his linemates production down.

BlindWillyMcHurt

ti kallisti
May 31, 2004
We have about 2.3M cap space. I do not think we can afford to be that sucker. Let's say DeSmith goes the other way. It would work, but it would be rather tight... and we still need to improve our 3rd RD, IMO.

I sure hope you're right. But it has all the makings of a Penguins wet dream.

Think of the puff pieces, Scandale! Think of the hilarious articles from the official site about the latest Fleury prank on the boys! Think of the Facebook click bonanza!

Empoleon8771

Aug 25, 2015
Redmond, WA
If his production is supposedly dragged down by his linemates, I expect him to be outproducing them.

Jankowski did not outpace any of them, including Lucic and Rinaldo.

I meant Jankowski was having a terrible year, but he was also playing with terrible linemates which made his bad year worse.

He unarguably had a terrible year last year, if he didn't he wouldn't have signed for league minimum. He had a bad year and he was getting no help from his linemates, because he was only playing with washed up players or grinders.

Reactions: Trade

Giskard

Jun 20, 2008
Alps
Still not sold on the bottom-6 lines, it looks even worse then last season, and there is only McCann that could step up in the top-6 if someone struggle or get injured, everyone else is a lot of meh at this point, unless somebody like Poulin makes the team.

Reactions: Andy99

SomeDude

Mar 6, 2006
Pittsburghish
It’s not really about getting MAF back (at least in my eyes) it’s about getting a 1st, top prospect, or more for taking him on. If JR can make it work, he should.

Dipsy Doodle

Rent A Barn
May 28, 2006
I meant Jankowski was having a terrible year, but he was also playing with terrible linemates which made his bad year worse.

He unarguably had a terrible year last year, if he didn't he wouldn't have signed for league minimum. He had a bad year and he was getting no help from his linemates, because he was only playing with washed up players or grinders.

I think that's how one could justify using him in a 4th line role. JR penciling in Jank and Erod on the 3rd line is lunacy.

Our bottom 6 scoring, if we don't add anyone before the season, is a total mess. Arguably the worst in the league.

BlindWillyMcHurt

ti kallisti
May 31, 2004
Wouldn't we be counting on more or less every single "sexy" 3C target to overcome some kind of hurdle, anyway? Just for a hell of a lot more money?

Is it such an insane idea to ask the same from Jankowski? Like... Huala is an example. Amazing player uh... that one year! Lots of injuries and uncertainty since. And yet I'd wager most everyone would be nodding their heads in a satisfied manner were he signed. Jankowski (and Erod for that matter) have both shown they can be productive players (at least for our needs) in the recent past but somehow that's irrelevant to their chances of finding a 20-40 point level again? And for league minimum?

Help me understand.

CrosbyMalkin

Aug 7, 2005
A Fleury trade would need 50% retention from Vegas, wouldn't it?

I still wouldn't want Fleury at $3.5. I think Fleury would be a nice veteran goalie to have instead of DeSmith but for more like $1.5 million. So Vegas would have to have a very nice add to that deal to make me interested. I don't think they have that. For example if they had the perfect RD I would trade Pettersson and DeSmith for Fleury and that really good RD. I rather have POJ as the starting LD than Ruhwedel as the starting RD. Unfortunately I don't see a good fit. Vegas literally has all left shot defenseman. Some may play RD but like I said no perfect fit.

Of the UFA's on the market still. Could we get someone to sign a one year $2 million deal that would be a huge upgrade? With most teams cap strapped I think it could be done. Someone like Harmonic who then has a good year and then when the league has better financials he could cash in on a longer term deal someplace if not with us. Any thoughts on someone we could get for that kind of cap that would be a nice improvement over Ruhwedel?

Malkinstheman

Aug 12, 2012
It’s not really about getting MAF back (at least in my eyes) it’s about getting a 1st, top prospect, or more for taking him on. If JR can make it work, he should.
The third team retaining on MAF would be getting the asset. We'd be trading some low pick for him.

Empoleon8771

Aug 25, 2015
Redmond, WA
I think that's how one could justify using him in a 4th line role. JR penciling in Jank and Erod on the 3rd line is lunacy.

Our bottom 6 scoring, if we don't add anyone before the season, is a total mess. Arguably the worst in the league.

You really need to get out more :laugh:

I really believe that 95% of fans who made comments like these don't actually pay attention to the statuses of other teams.

I don't think the Penguins would be getting that for Fleury. I think whoever would be eating half of his salary for Vegas would be getting that.

The third team retaining on MAF would be getting the asset. We'd be trading some low pick for him.

Well DeSmith, but yeah you're right.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad