Salary Cap: Pittsburgh Penguins Salary Cap Thread: FA Begins & So Does Fleury Watch

Status
Not open for further replies.

Big Friggin Dummy

Feb 22, 2019
size
He is a 3rd line center and plays that way
He’s cheap 700k for 2 years
And because no way vegas trades glass their first pick ever who has lots of promise
Roy was a thrown in from Carolina.
I think Vegas is getting really close to pure desperation mode when it comes to Pietrangelo, and they'll eventually do whatever they have to in order to clear the cap to sign the guy. He's very obviously waiting for them to clear the cap so he can sign. Another day or two, Pietrangelo's camp probably starts to seriously consider other opportunities.

I'm not saying Vegas will for sure part with someone like Glass, but I do think it's realistic they lose patience trying to find takers for MAF and Schmidt and end up paying a big price to dump cap.

Pietrangelo is a big enough get for them that he could push them into the SCF.

Gurglesons

Dec 18, 2009
San Diego, CA
last-train-tocool.blogspot.com
I think Vegas is getting really close to pure desperation mode when it comes to Pietrangelo, and they'll eventually do whatever they have to in order to clear the cap to sign the guy. He's very obviously waiting for them to clear the cap so he can sign. Another day or two, Pietrangelo's camp probably starts to seriously consider other opportunities.

I'm not saying Vegas will for sure part with someone like Glass, but I do think it's realistic they lose patience trying to find takers for MAF and Schmidt and end up paying a big price to dump cap.

Pietrangelo is a big enough get for them that he could push them into the SCF.

Not if they push out Schmidt. They’d simply be adding a skill set that doesn’t compliment Theo and getting rid of their 2nd best D.

JTG

Sep 30, 2007
That makes sense Jacob, except for Gonchar working really well with Schultz (when he first came over), Goligoski, Niskanen and others. Granted, those are players more in his mold and there's a severe lack of fundamentals going on with JJ / Schultz' injury woes. I dunno. Just seems odd. Maybe Gonch got too burned out trying to teach JJ how to be less bad that he just up and half-quit on the job. :laugh: Lord knows I've been there.

I have wondered how much of an influence Sarge had on our defensemen, because what Jacob says is true. I know the front office and coaching staff gave serious props to Gonchar when it came to the defense.

Empoleon8771

Aug 25, 2015
Redmond, WA
A Fleury to Pittsburgh trade would probably look something like:

Vegas gets DeSmith, retains $1million of Fleury's deal
Detroit gets a 1st and 2nd from Vegas, retains $3 million of Fleury's deal
Penguins get Fleury at $3 million

I'm skeptical it ends up happening, but I honestly don't have a clue where Fleury can go that isn't Pittsburgh at this point. Carolina is the only team that makes sense, but they have to move Reimer or Mrazek to make that work and those are harder sells than DeSmith is for Pittsburgh.

Reactions: Gurglesons

Gurglesons

Dec 18, 2009
San Diego, CA

I'm skeptical it ends up happening, but I honestly don't have a clue where Fleury can go that isn't Pittsburgh at this point. Carolina is the only team that makes sense, but they have to move Reimer or Mrazek to make that work and those are harder sells than DeSmith is for Pittsburgh.

Buffalo for Hutton and a big add.

Empoleon8771

Aug 25, 2015
Redmond, WA

Yeah, Buffalo was the only team I thought made sense, but Carolina doesn't have the cap or roster space to take Hutton back in that kind of deal. Carolina needs to dump Mrazek or Reimer without taking cap or a NHL goalie back, Buffalo has to dump Hutton to bring in another goalie.

Tom Hanks

Spelling mistakes brought to you by my iPhone.
Nov 10, 2017

za7zg8d8wp151.jpg

Gurglesons

Dec 18, 2009
San Diego, CA
Yeah, Buffalo was the only team I thought made sense, but Carolina doesn't have the cap or roster space to take Hutton back in that kind of deal. Carolina needs to dump Mrazek or Reimer without taking cap or a NHL goalie back, Buffalo has to dump Hutton to bring in another goalie.

I meant Buffalo would take Fleury + for Hutton straight up, no second team.

Darren McCord

Dec 15, 2015

Detroit makes out like Bandits there. I would want a pick coming to us as well. I dont see any reason for the pens to pay almost 2 million more to got from DeSmith to Fleury with out getting anything.

Something like either the Vegas 2nd or a 3rd rounder (Det has 2)

enviSAGE

waitin on the good times
Aug 10, 2011
Size, skill, potential, playoff performer, current contract and RFA status. We won't have to protect him during the expansion draft. He could be a great 3C.

Yes we would I'm afraid. Two seasons or less of an AHL or NHL pro season.

But I'd be more afraid of Teddy getting taken then him.

mpp9

Dec 5, 2010
If Schmidt's on the block, I'd really hope we'd at least be asking about the price. 6 mil salary for Schmidt and Vegas under pressure needing no salary coming back to sign AP shouldn't cost an arm and a leg.

I'd send Dumoulin on his way to make it happen.

Reactions: Gurglesons

Epic Neal Time

May 8, 2010
Pittsburgh, PA
I'd do the following:

Pettersson to WPG for Roslovic
Waive Sceviour
Sign Ben Hutton 1 x 1.25M
Sign Roslovic 2 x 3M

Guentzel - Crosby - Kapanen
Zucker - Malkin - Rust
McCann - Roslovic - Tanev
Jankowski - Blueger - ZAR/Lafferty

Dumo - Letang
Matheson - Marino
Hutton - Ruhwedel

enviSAGE

waitin on the good times
Aug 10, 2011
Can anyone help me justify want Jimbo was thinking adding on Sceviour to the Hornqvist catastrophe? I mean, Sceviour is a solid 4th liner and PK'er for sure, even though the two Panthers fans said he is not in his prime anymore.
We have FIVE ELITE PK'ers on the team already. And two other good ones in McCann and Jankowski now. Rodrigues is serviceable too.

So what is the point in having this guy on the roster? It's not like the value was needed in that trade, IMO we're getting blown out of the water already with the huge risk of Matheson. But to just not include Sceviour and save us that $1.2 mil could be big for us.

I still think we need to take a chance on a top-9 player to give us some good depth. Whether it's Haula, Granlund, Tierney, AA. Maybe Duclair to compete with Kap for Sid's RW. Even trading for Fleury+Roy. That $1.2 mil might mean the difference for most of them with $3.5mil vs $4.7mil. Just don't get it.

Big Friggin Dummy

Feb 22, 2019
Can anyone help me justify want Jimbo was thinking adding on Sceviour to the Hornqvist catastrophe? I mean, Sceviour is a solid 4th liner and PK'er for sure, even though the two Panthers fans said he is not in his prime anymore.
We have FIVE ELITE PK'ers on the team already. And two other good ones in McCann and Jankowski now. Rodrigues is serviceable too.

So what is the point in having this guy on the roster? It's not like the value was needed in that trade, IMO we're getting blown out of the water already with the huge risk of Matheson. But to just not include Sceviour and save us that $1.2 mil could be big for us.

I still think we need to take a chance on a top-9 player to give us some good depth. Whether it's Haula, Granlund, Tierney, AA. Maybe Duclair to compete with Kap for Sid's RW. Even trading for Fleury+Roy. That $1.2 mil might mean the difference for most of them with $3.5mil vs $4.7mil. Just don't get it.
I was under the impression Sceviour was a throw-in cap dump to balance out the murky contract insurance situation with Hornqvist's current contract, but people tell me he's a pretty good 4th line guy, so I don't know.

Reactions: Kristopher Letang

Gurglesons

Dec 18, 2009
San Diego, CA

Likely part of the deal to get out of Hornqvist contract, plus Sceviour is very similar to Tanev, I assume the idea is to bump Tanev up to L3 and have Sceviour be the energy driver on L4.

Lustaf

Nov 26, 2008
Victoria, BC
If Schmidt's on the block, I'd really hope we'd at least be asking about the price. 6 mil salary for Schmidt and Vegas under pressure needing no salary coming back to sign AP shouldn't cost an arm and a leg.

I'd send Dumoulin on his way to make it happen.
Dumo?

Why not sell off Petts for cheap, like 4th, 5th round cheap.

Was your thought process to stay younger? That's about the only thing Pettersson has over Dumo in my eyes.

Dipsy Doodle

Rent A Barn
May 28, 2006
I mean, you can stay looking like a scumbag and deserving no respect for repeatedly advocating signing a piece of shit who beat his wife/GF to within an inch of her life. Whatever tapes your hockey stick. Sick meme though. Very cool.

I've said it before and I'll say it again - I don't hold things against people for the rest of their lives if they show genuine contrition.

Doesn't mean I don't think what they did was incredibly wrong. Just that I don't think it deserves automatic ostracization until the end of time.

Why have one domestic abuser when you can have two.

Well that's one way to put it.

How has DeSmith behaved since his incident 6 years ago?

Big Friggin Dummy

Feb 22, 2019
Dumo's clearly better in every way than Petts right now, but I am kinda worried about the potential for long-term issues with his ankle injury and the effect they'll have on his game.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad