Salary Cap: Pittsburgh Penguins Salary Cap Thread: FA Begins & So Does Fleury Watch

Status
Not open for further replies.

HandshakeLine

A real jerk thing
Nov 9, 2005
Praha, CZ
Yeah the coaches didn't even attempt to shelter either of those dumpster fires. Makes you wonder what the f*** they were watching.

I really don't know. It seems like Martin and Gonchar both peace'd out like two years ago in retrospect. :laugh:

Not to mention HCMS just... kept putting both of them in the lineup too.

Jacob

as seen on TV
Feb 27, 2002
I think Martin is good with defensive systems but not necessarily *defensemen*, and Gonchar as a player got by on talent alone. He could afford to have occasional bad positioning or other small mistakes. He can’t teach how he played.

HandshakeLine

A real jerk thing
Nov 9, 2005
Praha, CZ
I think Martin is good with defensive systems but not necessarily *defensemen*, and Gonchar as a player got by on talent alone. He could afford to have occasional bad positioning or other small mistakes. He can’t teach how he played.

That makes sense Jacob, except for Gonchar working really well with Schultz (when he first came over), Goligoski, Niskanen and others. Granted, those are players more in his mold and there's a severe lack of fundamentals going on with JJ / Schultz' injury woes. I dunno. Just seems odd. Maybe Gonch got too burned out trying to teach JJ how to be less bad that he just up and half-quit on the job. :laugh: Lord knows I've been there.

Big Friggin Dummy

Feb 22, 2019
No Pietrangelo yet, huh? Guess he really is waiting for Vegas to dump a bunch of cap.

As for potential lineups, it hinges pretty heavily on Poulin's camp/pre-season, but I hope we run with this;

Jake/Zucker-Sid-Rust
Jake/Zucker-Geno-Poulin
McCann-TB-Kapanen
Tanev-Jankowski-Sceviour

Swap Poulin and Kapanen if you want, but I think he's got less pressure to produce with Jake-Geno or Zucker-Geno than McCann-TB.

Reactions: Darren McCord

Big Friggin Dummy

Feb 22, 2019
How did Barrie & Krug get such drastically different deals?
I think Barrie said he wanted a short, cheap deal to prove himself after an unacceptable (his words) showing in Toronto.

Krug just got that FA frenzy dosh. I think he said Boston hadn't even offered him a deal for a solid calendar year or something too, which is odd.

Reactions: Jacob

Dipsy Doodle

Rent A Barn
May 28, 2006
So... what you're saying is... I should still be angry about SOMETHING right?

I don't think many people have a big problem with Blueger at 3C. His production and talent suggests he can handle more responsibility. But JR seemed pretty adamant that he'd like to see Jankowksi in that role, and Sullivan has been loathe to split up the 4th line. Roster management hasn't exactly been a strength.

Plus we need another offensive option in the bottom 6 regardless.

BlindWillyMcHurt

ti kallisti
May 31, 2004
I don't think many people have a big problem with Blueger at 3C. His production and talent suggests he can handle more responsibility. But JR seemed pretty adamant that he'd like to see Jankowksi in that role, and Sullivan has been loathe to split up the 4th line. Roster management hasn't exactly been a strength.

Plus we need another offensive option in the bottom 6 regardless.

I haven't seen JR say anything adamant about it at all. Aside from his usual mouth diarrhea.

I will concede that Sullivan is a goof re: BART.

Reactions: Gurglesons

Big Friggin Dummy

Feb 22, 2019
Genuine question; What is it about Roy that makes people want him so much? Is it just his size and potential? I'd much, much rather have Glass if Vegas is parting with a sweetener.

mpp9

Dec 5, 2010
I haven't seen JR say anything adamant about it at all. Aside from his usual mouth diarrhea.

I will concede that Sullivan is a goof re: BART.

Everything I've watched suggests Jankowski is a winger. I wouldn't worry about it too much. Like others have said, I think he settles into the ZAR role. 12th forward with actual finishing ability.

Erod, McCann and Bleuger can fight it out for the 3C role.

Reactions: BlindWillyMcHurt

ownal

Jan 26, 2019
Pittsburgh
Genuine question; What is it about Roy that makes people want him so much? Is it just his size and potential? I'd much, much rather have Glass if Vegas is parting with a sweetener.

Size, skill, potential, playoff performer, current contract and RFA status. We won't have to protect him during the expansion draft. He could be a great 3C.

Reactions: Big Friggin Dummy

chethejet

Feb 4, 2012
Vegas retain 3.5 m and trade MAF to wings and get a 2nd for taking 2 million. Now I really don't want MAF but if Roy or Glass come in the deal, then Pens can take 1.5 million and move CS to WB which is 1 million. So you have one of the young centers and MAF total 2.3 million minus 1 million for CS and Pens have 2.5 with Reese on LTIR. Now send one of Lafferty, E Rod, to WB and Pens still have a decent cap to work with.

Jake Sid Kap
Zucker Geno Rust
McCann LV trade Tanev
Jankowski TB Secviour
E Rod or Lafferty

Letang Dumo
Marino Matheson
Ruhwedel Petts
Riikola

Jarry
Maf

Reactions: ownal

Dipsy Doodle

Rent A Barn
May 28, 2006
Apparently WPG is shopping Roslovic for a top 4 LD. Does Pettersson make sense? We're deeper at LD than C.

I'd like us to be in on Roslovic but that's a steep price, and he hasn't been able to establish himself as a center.

Still, I really like his skill, speed, and smarts.

Tom Hanks

Spelling mistakes brought to you by my iPhone.
Nov 10, 2017
Apparently WPG is shopping Roslovic for a top 4 LD. Does Pettersson make sense? We're deeper at LD than C.

He doesn’t really play centre. I’m happy with Teddy over him. If Peterson goes then either Matheson or Riikola have to be in your top 4 D. That’s risky.

Darren McCord

Dec 15, 2015

size
He is a 3rd line center and plays that way
He’s cheap 700k for 2 years
And because no way vegas trades glass their first pick ever who has lots of promise
Roy was a thrown in from Carolina.

Gurglesons

Dec 18, 2009
San Diego, CA
last-train-tocool.blogspot.com
I'd like us to be in on Roslovic but that's a steep price, and he hasn't been able to establish himself as a center.

Still, I really like his skill, speed, and smarts.

Yeah. Roslovic hasn’t proven enough to garner a player like Petts. It’d be more like POJ + a pick or fringe prospect.

The rumor is Martinez or Schmidt for him though which is crazy.

Reactions: ownal and Tom Hanks

MayorofWBS

Apr 14, 2015
Mars
I'm not sure how Detroit finances MAF for us for TWO YEARS but we somehow come out of it with multiple good pieces out of the deal.

Jacob

as seen on TV
Feb 27, 2002
Another thing is that having 3 competent pairings rather than 2 might go a lot further in providing depth scoring than spending more money on the bottom 6 would. It’s hard even for elite talents to tilt the ice from D zone to offense consistently, let alone bottom 6 guys, but them being on the ice with a D pairing that- no matter which one it is- can both contain and defend, but retrieve the puck and get it moving up ice to at least get it out of danger if not generate offense and, on occasion, finish.

Reactions: HandshakeLine
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad