Salary Cap: Pittsburgh Penguins Salary Cap Thread - Do we really need to pay attention to the alarm?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Dipsy Doodle

Rent A Barn
May 28, 2006
IMO. When Sullivan says “hard to play against” he doesn’t mean physically. He’s referring to puck management on both sides of the ice.. something Malkin and Kessel were extremely guilty of. Giving away pucks.

Definitely agreed there, and puck management is part of it as Sullivan has said.

But another part of it is not getting caved-in possession-wise, which is probably one of the reasons he got benched last year when it mattered most - as bad as his analytics were in Ottawa they got worse for Columbus in the playoffs despite spending most of his time with Duchene. 1 point in 9 playoff games and bleeding shots against regardless of generous deployment isn't many people's idea of being hard to play against.

Given everything we know about how the Pens have tried to restructure their team this year, I just don't see how adding him fits...but YMWV. :)

Last edited:
Reactions: Riptide

BlindWillyMcHurt

ti kallisti
May 31, 2004
Nobody is forcing anyone to read Andy’s twitter posts. It’s probably easier to scroll past them than to be a ****head about it.

Yeah I get that some of this stuff is repetitive (it's the offseason in the cap thread... I don't know what people expect) but there's some real high and mighty, appeal-to-authority horseshit going on in this thread.

Maybe he's pretty slick on the Disco floor?

Iseewhatchadidthere!

Last edited:
Reactions: Shady Machine

Empoleon8771

Aug 25, 2015
Redmond, WA
Nobody is forcing anyone to read Andy’s twitter posts. It’s probably easier to scroll past them than to be a ****head about it.

Anyone who cites Pensburgh and Ryan Wilson deserves to get criticized :laugh:

Honestly, I don't see a benefit for posting them. I think calling them "glorified HFBoards posters" is probably generous. It's basically making a twitter account for any random person here and then citing them.

NMK11

Apr 6, 2013

Honestly, I don't see a benefit for posting them. I think calling them "glorified HFBoards posters" is probably generous. It's basically making a twitter account for any random person here and then citing them.
Pensburgh isn't terrible. They have some really off the wall pieces that are too subjective to me, but most of their stuff is good.

Empoleon8771

Aug 25, 2015
Redmond, WA
Pensburgh isn't terrible. They have some really off the wall pieces that are too subjective to me, but most of their stuff is good.

I don't think they're Ryan Wilson bad or anything, but they're still basically HFBoards posters who run a fan blog. Wilson is bad because all he does is *****, but Pensburgh is basically if HFPens ran a blog.

Reactions: td_ice

Gurglesons

Dec 18, 2009
San Diego, CA
last-train-tocool.blogspot.com
I don't think they're Ryan Wilson bad or anything, but they're still basically HFBoards posters who run a fan blog. Wilson is bad because all he does is *****, but Pensburgh is basically if HFPens ran a blog.

I sincerely doubt Kevin Weekes would want to talk to anyone on here on record.

If HFPens ran a blog, I'd be surprised because it would mean actually having to back up the majority of our opinions.

Andy99

Jun 26, 2017

I think it’s worthwhile for discussion purposes to see what other people are posting in the blogosphere....a lot of it is crap, occasionally it’s inciteful... but for anyone who spends a good amount of time on here reading other people’s repetitive posts ad nauseam on Tanev etc, and then making their own, to be chastising me for diluting the marketplace of ideas is pretty hypocritical ...

Also there’s a lot of crap posted from so-called experts in the media and hockey world...I prefer the HFBoards crap quite honestly

Peat

Jun 14, 2016
Pensburgh has a hugely variable level of quality but 95% of it is, at heart, just some guy's opinion without any particular level of expertise, knowledge or objectivity beyond what's shown here from most posters. Citing it is like citing a very long winded post here. Mike Darnay did some good stuff with analysis but doesn't seem to be as active there anymore.

I get why Andy mentions the articles, he reads them and wants to start conversations, but honestly if he wants to get people talking about points he agrees with he's better off making the point himself because we respect him more than Wilson/Pensburgh/whoever.

Let that one sink in before you poke fun at @Andy99's reading list.

I see nothing wrong with both wincing at Tanev's contract and pointing fun at Andy's Who's Who of Pens Negativity Journalism :laugh:

It seemed like it was all over the place. I agree that sometimes I'd see a flash of the old stuff on the powerplay and I'd go "Oh... maybe I'm wrong." But then most of the season he seemed extremely reluctant to shoot... big lack of confidence in his shot. And they didn't seem to be setting him up for his shot as much, either. Dunno if that was just the product of a dysfunctional line and/or powerplay but there it is.

Can't really argue with that, but there was a lot of dysfunction going on, so I'm willing to gamble on that being the main cause. That and him unnecessarily second guessing himself a lot.

The guy has had boatloads of injuries and most of them have been treated with "rest and recovery" in the offseason. That stacks up, especially as you age. Obviously I still think Malkin brings plenty to the table as a player (especially if he is set up to succeed... something this team seems to struggle with) but I dunno that his once-automatic shot is one of those things, anymore.

I very much like the way Sully refuses to rush Geno back these days. But even with that, yes, the attrition is building up.

p.s. Re Whether Rutherford's been careful with the picks - I tried looking for some comparables to see what's reasonable.

Understandably, I couldn't find many orgs that have traded away 11 picks. But there's not many orgs that have been in a position to go for it every single year since 2014. The only one I can think of is Washington, and they've spent 10 picks in that period. Less 1sts obviously, but it all adds up.

Reactions: TooManyHumans

Gurglesons

Dec 18, 2009
San Diego, CA
last-train-tocool.blogspot.com
Pensburgh has a hugely variable level of quality but 95% of it is, at heart, just some guy's opinion without any particular level of expertise, knowledge or objectivity beyond what's shown here from most posters. Citing it is like citing a very long winded post here. Mike Darnay did some good stuff with analysis but doesn't seem to be as active there anymore.

I get why Andy mentions the articles, he reads them and wants to start conversations, but honestly if he wants to get people talking about points he agrees with he's better off making the point himself because we respect him more than Wilson/Pensburgh/whoever.

I see nothing wrong with both wincing at Tanev's contract and pointing fun at Andy's Who's Who of Pens Negativity Journalism :laugh:

Can't really argue with that, but there was a lot of dysfunction going on, so I'm willing to gamble on that being the main cause. That and him unnecessarily second guessing himself a lot.

I very much like the way Sully refuses to rush Geno back these days. But even with that, yes, the attrition is building up.

p.s. Re Whether Rutherford's been careful with the picks - I tried looking for some comparables to see what's reasonable.

Understandably, I couldn't find many orgs that have traded away 11 picks. But there's not many orgs that have been in a position to go for it every single year since 2014. The only one I can think of is Washington, and they've spent 10 picks in that period. Less 1sts obviously, but it all adds up.

I believe Mike manages the blog. He just posted something like less than 24 hours ago also. :)

Adam Gretz posts there and he's probably just behind Jesse in terms of analytical work regarding the Pens.

Kind of bizarre take imo to bash Pensburgh.

Jimmy does a good job under the Hooks name too.

SEALBound

Fancy Gina Carano
Sponsor
Jun 13, 2010
This would be true if not for Malkin pining for Kessel, too. Also his teammates going to bat for him.

You can still go bat for a teammate and not like the way he plays or want to play with him. Saying good things about what a good a teammate is - is not an endorsement of their skill levels or their effort levels.

I've gone to bat for many teammates when the commands wants to shit on them (and rightfully so in 99% of the circumstances). Doesn't mean I liked working with them. Doesn't mean I thought they were worth a shit.

You go to bat for the guy standing/playing next to you. That's just the way it is. Hate (absolutely hate) to put it this way, but those who have played the game or have been part of similar elite teams at one point or another will understand. The only exception is if you truly feel like the person is a true, undeniable threat to the team.

Where is this quote coming from? Anyone know...is this Rossi’s apparently ridiculous article?

This is just another garbage article to justify shitting on Tanev. It's the term, not AAV. Bullshit. It's both. Anyone who says different is full of shit.

Lucic is tough contract to move regardless if its one year or five.

And all of this before the guy skates one second for the team. What a shameful display of journalism. I know Pittsburgh has shit media but this is getting to bag over my head levels. I already deny to others that I visit here as it is.

Except there's no accountability for what they post on their sites. There's no real opportunity for them to have to defend what they write. Best thing for a guy like Wilson would be to post the article here or somewhere else with a lot of traffic to get feedback before posting his turd of an article on that toilet of a site he writes for.

Peat

Jun 14, 2016
I believe Mike manages the blog. He just posted something like less than 24 hours ago also. :)

Ah, that's good. His articles are/were pretty much the only ones where I learned something. Not as good as Jesse at breaking things down, but still pretty good.

Andy99

Jun 26, 2017

I mean to be a nonpartisan poster...I will post anything that sounds interesting to start a conversation regardless of who it is and whether it’s negative or positive...it’s not necessarily my viewpoint...of course everything out there regarding the Pens is negative right now...lol...unfortunately

Reactions: pixiesfanyo
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad