Salary Cap: Pittsburgh Penguins Salary Cap Thread - Do we really need to pay attention to the alarm?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Tender Rip

Wears long pants
Feb 12, 2007
Shanghai, China
Quick leading question:

Were the 2016 and 2017 champ teams’ opening night rosters identical to the ones lifting those cups?

No? Then maybe if what really grates you is a bottom pairing D-man here and a bottom 6 forward there... that is something that can conceivably be addressed down the line?

I admit something has to happen before the season, but as it has been pointed out, indeed something HAS to happen with us having three as of yet unsigned assets. Strap your hopeful helmets on and go nuts later if that something turns out shitty.

The deep-end’ism from many here is getting stale.

Son Goku

henlo u stinky egg
Mar 8, 2014
The World Of Void
My mobile just became unusable and I don’t use PC at all. My iPad works fine though.

For the the Schultz talk about getting replaced with others, this is from Rossi:

“Schultz is comfortable in Pittsburgh. He is wanted by the Penguins. But he did already pass once on the chance to sign a longer-term contract to stay. The Penguins plan to give him another opportunity at one of those, but they’ll likely do it at a cap hit that falls under the $7 million an offensive catalyst such as Schultz could command in free agency.”

EDIT:
Specifically mentioned that someone who’s a good offensive D man like Schultz needs to play with Malkin.
f*** paying Schultz anything over 5 million

domaug

Play Virtua Fighter, let's go Pens
Sep 28, 2017
up de Eynon
if JJ is traded before the end of July, i will... not do anything to my avatar, but i will be excited.

Riptide

Dec 29, 2011
Yukon
You haven't narrowed it down much.

Surprisingly some of his recent stuff hasn't actually been bad. This one however was brutal - both in what he was writing and how far he needed to go to support it. I have no issues with the theme of his rant (it doesn't really even deserve the title "article"). But when you need to dip into the well and use the Trotman signing as a way to justify a point about how JR is now giving out FA deals longer then 1 year, you're A) out to f***ing lunch and B) at a point where no one gives a shit.

Riptide

Dec 29, 2011
Yukon
I got the 90 day for $1 trial for The Athletic. Hasn’t been that good but I guess everyone is on break. Few good articles here and there though (even from Rossi).

It's better during the season. However they upped their prices last year and after the exchange rate, it was something like ~$70. The year before it was like $35 or so. Guess I first signed up during a promo or something and it wasn't until I looked at my visa statement that I saw the renewal cost, but I won't be renewing it again once it runs out... because as much as I like reading their articles, I'm not paying ~$70 CND (~50 USD) for the privilege.

Edit: 71.99 vs 35.99. The cost doubled. And just like when I thought Netflix was charging me too much I'll cancel this one too.

Last edited:
Reactions: Tom Hanks

Riptide

Dec 29, 2011
Yukon
$5 bet. I don't believe the opening day line up is JJ-Schultz. You in?

I believe it will be:

Dumo-Letang
Pettersson-Schultz
Riikola-Gudbranson

Just to clarify:
A) is JJ healthy, or not on the teams NHL roster or does it matter?
B) does it matter what the parings are, or just whether JJ is on the opening night roster?

C) I wouldn't take any bet that has JJ on the opening night roster as I believe JR will move him this summer damn the cost.

Riptide

Dec 29, 2011
Yukon
Likely, but then they know they have to play JJ-Guds on the third pair, right? That’s a $7.25 mil third pair...if that’s happening, it’s not happening for long...they’re gonna have to find a third pairing player on the cheap by the TDL if not sooner

You're not going to see him on the 3rd pair - you'll see them shelter him like they did in the POs. Schultz was his partner, but they more or less double shifted Letang, MP and Dumoulin before they put JJ back out there. There's a reason why his minutes went down every single game he played and everyone else's went up.

super6646

Apr 16, 2018
Calgary
Galchenyuk's one-timer is a nice weapon that we haven't had on the wing since Neal left. I don't expect it will be nearly as successful, but hopefully Geno can wring some extra mileage out of it.

You guys want him back? We’ll even take JJ off your hands as well :)

SEALBound

Fancy Gina Carano
Sponsor
Jun 13, 2010
We should all change our names to a variation of Pixies username..it'll be mayhem.

I'll be Soggy Pixies.

I'll be Pixie Over Reason. Or Big Friggin Pixie. Or maybe Thick McRunFast (bonus points to whoever picks up on that one)

Just to clarify:
A) is JJ healthy, or not on the teams NHL roster or does it matter?
B) does it matter what the parings are, or just whether JJ is on the opening night roster?

C) I wouldn't take any bet that has JJ on the opening night roster as I believe JR will move him this summer damn the cost.

It was just that the 2nd pairing is not Johnson-Schultz. Whatever combo of the above is...doesn't matter.

Reactions: Honour Over Glory

LOGiK

Nov 14, 2007
PixiesGivesMePeterTingleInMyPoopHole

Ogre gets the ref. @Ogrezilla

I seemed to have triggered Pixiesfartyo. Smooches??

Something something JJ sucks and trade him.

I'd love to go to the bar with you two (and a few other posters) and watch a hockey game together one night.

That would be epic. If I ever strike rich one day - I will personally fund a meet up and fly everyone together and watch a game together.

Can even invite Cole so he could ref it, just to make it official.

LOGiK

Nov 14, 2007
I'll be Pixie Over Reason. Or Big Friggin Pixie. Or maybe Thick McRunFast (bonus points to whoever picks up on that one)

It was just that the 2nd pairing is not Johnson-Schultz. Whatever combo of the above is...doesn't matter.

haha! Clever. I like that one.

Dipsy Doodle

Rent A Barn
May 28, 2006
You guys want him back? We’ll even take JJ off your hands as well :)

giphy.gif

Reactions: KIRK

Peat

Jun 14, 2016
I got the 90 day for $1 trial for The Athletic. Hasn’t been that good but I guess everyone is on break. Few good articles here and there though (even from Rossi).

There's little good new stuff right now, but it was good over FA and I'm very much enjoying reading back through Jesse's articles and Russo's stuff on Cullen.

It seems like they're trying to move Johnson but I'm also fairly certain they don't think Riikola is a regular defender. They just didn't show a lot of confidence in him last year with how little they played him, even when there were injuries. I don't know how they go from that to "we're comfortable with him playing 82 games" in 1 summer. And he's like 26 so it's not like he's going to improve by leaps and bounds in a short period of time. I mean *I'd* be okay with him there but I don't see the team feeling that way.

To me that means they're more likely to move a forward and keep Johnson.

The big question for me is what do their comfort levels look like if a position opens up on the left? We know Sully's not hugely fond of playing left handers on the right (arguably it speaks to a lot of trust that he got so many games in that situations with two adequate RH 7D hanging around) but what happens if the injury or trade happens to Johnson or another LD?

Also, is Sully going to trust Riikola to PK this season? Because if not, he'll never be in the same line up with Schultz, and that kills his opportunities here.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad