Salary Cap: Pittsburgh Penguins Salary Cap Thread - Do we really need to pay attention to the alarm?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Dipsy Doodle

Rent A Barn
May 28, 2006
Don’t really see what we have to afford Brodie considering he almost went for Kadri.

Probably just have to hope he goes to UFA. And then we can pretend we will have cap for him.

One never knows. Toronto was kind of in a bind cap-wise, and Calgary may not be able to find another club over a similar barrel that wants to pay the same price.

Maybe Rust would interest them...good two-way player with term.

froods

I blame Paul Martin and Jack Johnson
Aug 28, 2009
Fort Erie, ON
I want us to go after Brodie this season. He's on the block to upgrade their forward group. He plays RD so he can replace Schultz in the lineup if we choose to keep him longterm. Dude checks off alot of boxes for us.
100%. Get Jankowski while we are at it. They offered both to Toronto.

Reactions: 5iveforfighting

froods

I blame Paul Martin and Jack Johnson
Aug 28, 2009
Fort Erie, ON
One never knows. Toronto was kind of in a bind cap-wise, and Calgary may not be able to find another club over a similar barrel that wants to pay the same price.

Maybe Rust would interest them...good two-way player with term.
Can he play both sides or strictly the right side?

Gurglesons

Dec 18, 2009
San Diego, CA
last-train-tocool.blogspot.com
He was tried on the left for awhile last year but apparently had some issues there.

I didn't see it personally, but that's the scuttlebutt.

I mean, he’s left handed so he should naturally play LD, but prefers RD for some reason

It wasn’t this year from what I can remember (he got paired back with Gio), but when they brought in Hamilton and Hamonic they ran..

Gio - Hamilton
Brodie - Hamonic

Not sure if it was Brodie being Brodie (he’s more of # 3 than a top pair) or Hamonic’s continued decline, but Brodie was awful there.

Reactions: Soggy Biscuit

Turin

Feb 27, 2018
Switch to Firefox mobile and enable their ad blockers.

July 1st was the last time i used Google Chrome Mobile.
I try, then HF doesn’t let me sign in because I have an adblocker lol. I guess they’d rather I not visit their site at all.

Jacob

as seen on TV
Feb 27, 2002
It seems like they're trying to move Johnson but I'm also fairly certain they don't think Riikola is a regular defender. They just didn't show a lot of confidence in him last year with how little they played him, even when there were injuries. I don't know how they go from that to "we're comfortable with him playing 82 games" in 1 summer. And he's like 26 so it's not like he's going to improve by leaps and bounds in a short period of time. I mean *I'd* be okay with him there but I don't see the team feeling that way.

To me that means they're more likely to move a forward and keep Johnson.

Andy99

Jun 26, 2017
It seems like they're trying to move Johnson but I'm also fairly certain they don't think Riikola is a regular defender. They just didn't show a lot of confidence in him last year with how little they played him, even when there were injuries. I don't know how they go from that to "we're comfortable with him playing 82 games" in 1 summer. And he's like 26 so it's not like he's going to improve by leaps and bounds in a short period of time. I mean *I'd* be okay with him there but I don't see the team feeling that way.

To me that means they're more likely to move a forward and keep Johnson.

Likely, but then they know they have to play JJ-Guds on the third pair, right? That’s a $7.25 mil third pair...if that’s happening, it’s not happening for long...they’re gonna have to find a third pairing player on the cheap by the TDL if not sooner

Tom Hanks

Spelling mistakes brought to you by my iPhone.
Nov 10, 2017
I try, then HF doesn’t let me sign in because I have an adblocker lol. I guess they’d rather I not visit their site at all.

My mobile just became unusable and I don’t use PC at all. My iPad works fine though.

For the the Schultz talk about getting replaced with others, this is from Rossi:

“Schultz is comfortable in Pittsburgh. He is wanted by the Penguins. But he did already pass once on the chance to sign a longer-term contract to stay. The Penguins plan to give him another opportunity at one of those, but they’ll likely do it at a cap hit that falls under the $7 million an offensive catalyst such as Schultz could command in free agency.”

EDIT:
Specifically mentioned that someone who’s a good offensive D man like Schultz needs to play with Malkin.

Jacob

as seen on TV
Feb 27, 2002
Likely, but then they know they have to play JJ-Guds on the third pair, right? That’s a $7.25 mil third pair...if that’s happening, it’s not happening for long...they’re gonna have to find a third pairing player on the cheap by the TDL if not sooner
Yeah I guess if they go into the season with a guy they don't really think much of as the #6 it's not much different than going into the season with no 3rd or 4th line centers like 2 years ago.

I hope they go that route and Riikola impresses.. $5 million for the 3rd pair is a lot easier to stomach and on paper you'd think Riikola would be a good partner for Gudbranson, the smaller PMD with the big hulking stay-at-home guy.

Reactions: Andy99

Tom Hanks

Spelling mistakes brought to you by my iPhone.
Nov 10, 2017
$5 bet. I don't believe the opening day line up is JJ-Schultz. You in?

I believe it will be:

Dumo-Letang
Pettersson-Schultz
Riikola-Gudbranson

It really can go so many ways I’m not confident in saying any combo with any certainty.

JJ could make it to start off with just because of the fact he’s got 4 years on his contract and to see if he can work better with this group of forwards (assuming there is more cohesion this season with the 5 guys on the ice).

Nakawick

Minty Fresh
Apr 5, 2010
The Range
$5 bet. I don't believe the opening day line up is JJ-Schultz. You in?

I believe it will be:

Dumo-Letang
Pettersson-Schultz
Riikola-Gudbranson
Not sure why you want to bet? I was replying to a question. Riikola hauling the load for Guds could be a disaster though. Riikola was sat for a reason. If he is responsible for carrying the puck and accepting Guds d to d passes, ,,,,,,

ImporterExporter

"You're a boring old man"
Jun 18, 2013
Oblivion Express
giphy.gif

madinsomniac

Jul 3, 2012
Pittsburgh, Pa
Ahhh yes, the Shero excuse. You can’t force people to sign here!

Carolina isn’t exactly a hockey hot bed for free agents. The guy is from IL, and no one gave two ****s about Carolina until last year. Maybe you could play the Shero card if he signed in LA or NYR or went back to his home town.

JR blew his load on day one for a good fourth line, mediocre third liner. It’s inexcusable, sorry. Maybe if we had more cap room you could over pay at bottom six player.

Stop defending JR, this guy is awful.

Im just giving a absolute truth about UFAs... teams have no control over them so planning on them is idiotic. This plays out over and over... Parise? Jagr? How about Florida going to get Bob AND the breadman? Well he had other plans... and its true in every sport with a cap too... teams open up space to make that big ufa haul that will really turn them around... only it almost never happens... half the time they overpay for one or two guys and handcuff the team elsewhere, the other half they get no one they wanted and then throw money at some second tier guys in a panic

Fanboys look at who might be available and get all hyped, but then either the players old team signs them to a fair contract before they are available, someone grossly overpays them, or they go to where they wanted to in the first place..

Who was the last team to “win” free agency and then win the cup?

Reactions: Riptide
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad