Salary Cap: Pittsburgh Penguins Salary Cap Thread - Do we really need to pay attention to the alarm?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Empoleon8771

Aug 25, 2015
Redmond, WA
I think it’s worthwhile for discussion purposes to see what other people are posting in the blogosphere....a lot of it is crap, occasionally it’s inciteful... but for anyone who spends a good amount of time on here reading other people’s repetitive posts ad nauseam on Tanev etc, and then making their own, to be chastising me for diluting the marketplace of ideas is pretty hypocritical ...

Also there’s a lot of crap posted from so-called experts in the media and hockey world...I prefer the HFBoards crap quite honestly

Let me rephrase my original quote. I definitely think there is value to post articles and other research that these other blogs do. I don't think there's value in posting Ryan Wilson's *****ing on twitter just because he wants to complain. If Pensburgh has a good and insightful article, it's definitely worth posting because it adds to the discussion.

This is turning a little OT at this point, but I treat bloggers/journalists and movie critics similarly. I value consistency, quality and objectivity from those fields, where I want to see at least 2 of those and ideally would see all 3 of them. It's what makes Jesse's articles good but Ryan Wilson's articles bad. Pensburgh for the most part is fine, but those really biased articles really weigh it down IMO.

Peat

Jun 14, 2016
I mean to be a nonpartisan poster...I will post anything that sounds interesting to start a conversation regardless of who it is and whether it’s negative or positive...it’s not necessarily my viewpoint...of course everything out there regarding the Pens is negative right now...lol...unfortunately

I get that, but 90% of the time the conversation started is "FFS not more nonsense from that dozy pillock" (that being the journo, not you) rather than anything in the actual article :laugh:

Reactions: Riptide

Gurglesons

Dec 18, 2009
San Diego, CA
last-train-tocool.blogspot.com
Let me rephrase my original quote. I definitely think there is value to post articles and other research that these other blogs do. I don't think there's value in posting Ryan Wilson's *****ing on twitter just because he wants to complain. If Pensburgh has a good and insightful article, it's definitely worth posting because it adds to the discussion.

This is turning a little OT at this point, but I treat bloggers/journalists and movie critics similarly. I value consistency, quality and objectivity from those fields, where I want to see at least 2 of those and ideally would see all 3 of them. It's what makes Jesse's articles good but Ryan Wilson's articles bad. Pensburgh for the most part is fine, but those really biased articles really weigh it down IMO.

Good point.

SO.. how about that Tanev contract!

Reactions: Tacitus Kilgore

tom_servo

Sep 27, 2002
Pittsburgh
I don't think they're Ryan Wilson bad or anything, but they're still basically HFBoards posters who run a fan blog. Wilson is bad because all he does is *****, but Pensburgh is basically if HFPens ran a blog.

You mean if HF was digestible into one article instead of endless pages of memes and talking in circles (guilty).

Some people such as myself read for a meta-view of the team, not necessarily for "inside info."

Empoleon8771

Aug 25, 2015
Redmond, WA
Their content, their articles, their podcast as well as the podcast they do with Jesse.

Great blog. People do remember Jesse was pretty much writing for ThePensBlog before the Athletic correct?

Is it that good, though? Just looking at their most recent articles, it's pretty uninspiring. Gretz had a good article about Schultz, but the other ones on the front page really don't add much. Their podcasts are entirely separate and good IMO, I was just referring to the blog.

I think the issue is that I don't really consider Hooks Orpik to be that good of a blogger and he posts a ton of blogs on there. It's not surprising to see why you're not a fan of a site when you don't like the writing of the majority contributor.

LOGiK

Nov 14, 2007
Yep, and they won the Cup while we got swept by a bad Isles team. :laugh: Context matters.
No. Making the playoffs in any way possible let's you fashion a chance to win the Stanley Cup. Match-ups and injuries and etc etc etc all the other wordly bad luck and puck luck and whatever else does not figure into making the playoffs gives any team the same random percentage to win the cup.

FACT JACK!

Andy99

Jun 26, 2017
I get that, but 90% of the time the conversation started is "FFS not more nonsense from that dozy pillock" (that being the journo, not you) rather than anything in the actual article :laugh:

I post actual articles too...just recently from The Hockey News, Gretz, TSN, as well as stats, including from Tierney...you are picking and choosing the stuff I throw out there...

Gurglesons

Dec 18, 2009
San Diego, CA
Is it that good, though? Just looking at their most recent articles, it's pretty uninspiring. Gretz had a good article about Schultz, but the other ones on the front page really don't add much. Their podcasts are entirely separate and good IMO, I was just referring to the blog.

I think the issue is that I don't really consider Hooks Orpik to be that good of a blogger and he posts a ton of blogs on there. It's not surprising to see why you're not a fan of a site when you don't like the writing of the majority contributor.

Kind of why the Athletic is refreshing because they aren't forced to make a bunch of posts about what is happening and get to write about what they want. I dunno, I think Hooks is fine. Nothing great, but he does a good job of updating and posting a variety of sources around the league's comments on things like trades / signings/ etc.

Reactions: Empoleon8771

Peat

Jun 14, 2016
I post actual articles too...just recently from The Hockey News, Gretz, TSN, as well as stats, including from Tierney...you are picking and choosing the stuff I throw out there...

I'm not saying that's the only thing you post, I'm saying that's the main reaction it gathers. Like, take the tweet from Tierney you posted today. Were the answers about how good Guentzel is, how is it actually calculated, criminy I didn't realise Maatta was being so bad etc.etc?

No. It was complaining about Ryan Wilson because he retweeted it. I'm probably as guilty as anyone there. That was my point - that I get what you're trying to do, but because of how you do it i.e. just presenting other people's opinions and presenting a decent dose of people found annoying, it's not as well received as it should be and doesn't lead to good conversations when it should.

Tom Hanks

Spelling mistakes brought to you by my iPhone.
Nov 10, 2017
So assuming we can’t get rid of JJ what do the D pairs look like (and what forwards do they play with).

We have a lock of 5 forwards that’ll play so it comes down to Riikola and JJ.

How much was the contract playing into how much JJ played (probably quite a bit)? It’s a year on so that should be less of a factor but we have a different group of forwards that should help the D overall and he’s still signed for 4 more years so there will be some leeway to try and make things work.

Although Maatta is gone so that gives him more opportunies to someone else for better or worse.

Riikola is still raw and some might overrate his actual play right now because of the potential to improve.

I don’t think either fit based on their play last season as a permanent in the starting 6. Ideally they’d be on the bottom pair but I don’t think Gudbranson is the right partner for either. You can cut the bottom pair minutes but then that puts a potential strain on Pettersson (who’s still developing).

Long story short.......(too late) what’s the best D structure if we have what we have now.

Tom Hanks

Spelling mistakes brought to you by my iPhone.
Nov 10, 2017
Kind of why the Athletic is refreshing because they aren't forced to make a bunch of posts about what is happening and get to write about what they want. I dunno, I think Hooks is fine. Nothing great, but he does a good job of updating and posting a variety of sources around the league's comments on things like trades / signings/ etc.

I got the 90 day for $1 trial for The Athletic. Hasn’t been that good but I guess everyone is on break. Few good articles here and there though (even from Rossi).

Ugene Magic

EVIL LAUGH
Oct 17, 2008
Pittsburgh
You can still go bat for a teammate and not like the way he plays or want to play with him. Saying good things about what a good a teammate is - is not an endorsement of their skill levels or their effort levels.

I've gone to bat for many teammates when the commands wants to **** on them (and rightfully so in 99% of the circumstances). Doesn't mean I liked working with them. Doesn't mean I thought they were worth a ****.

You go to bat for the guy standing/playing next to you. That's just the way it is. Hate (absolutely hate) to put it this way, but those who have played the game or have been part of similar elite teams at one point or another will understand. The only exception is if you truly feel like the person is a true, undeniable threat to the team.

This had everything to do with Malkin wanting him (Kessel) on his line, too. It wasn't just Kessel spatting that off.

Nakawick

Minty Fresh
Apr 5, 2010
The Range
So assuming we can’t get rid of JJ what do the D pairs look like (and what forwards do they play with).

We have a lock of 5 forwards that’ll play so it comes down to Riikola and JJ.

How much was the contract playing into how much JJ played (probably quite a bit)? It’s a year on so that should be less of a factor but we have a different group of forwards that should help the D overall and he’s still signed for 4 more years so there will be some leeway to try and make things work.

Although Maatta is gone so that gives him more opportunies to someone else for better or worse.

Riikola is still raw and some might overrate his actual play right now because of the potential to improve.

I don’t think either fit based on their play last season as a permanent in the starting 6. Ideally they’d be on the bottom pair but I don’t think Gudbranson is the right partner for either. You can cut the bottom pair minutes but then that puts a potential strain on Pettersson (who’s still developing).

Long story short.......(too late) what’s the best D structure if we have what we have now.
Dumo Letang
JMFJ Schultz
Pettersson Guds
Riikola Rhuwedel
POJ Trotman

Reactions: pixiesfanyo

mpp9

Dec 5, 2010
I want us to go after Brodie this season. He's on the block to upgrade their forward group. He plays RD so he can replace Schultz in the lineup if we choose to keep him longterm. Dude checks off alot of boxes for us.

Dipsy Doodle

Rent A Barn
May 28, 2006
Dumo Letang
JMFJ Schultz
Pettersson Guds
Riikola Rhuwedel
POJ Trotman

DeAndre-Jordan-Face-After-Brandon-Knight-Dunk.gif

SHOOTANDSCORE

Eeny Meeny Miny Moe
Sep 25, 2005
I think it’s worthwhile for discussion purposes to see what other people are posting in the blogosphere....a lot of it is crap, occasionally it’s inciteful... but for anyone who spends a good amount of time on here reading other people’s repetitive posts ad nauseam on Tanev etc, and then making their own, to be chastising me for diluting the marketplace of ideas is pretty hypocritical ...

Also there’s a lot of crap posted from so-called experts in the media and hockey world...I prefer the HFBoards crap quite honestly
Keep posting what you post. Even if I make fun of a source or bust your balls a bit about something, I still appreciate it. I'm just here to have fun and talk hockey. It gets too serious some times.

Freeptop

Jun 17, 2009
Pittsburgh, PA
This is awesome and greatly appreciated.

It shows that Rutherford has tried to keep from completely emptying the cupboard.

However, wherever people say that we have no prospects, what they really mean is high-end ones.

Other than the last two drafts, we have one player still in the system and not busted who was drafted in the first *three* rounds: Bjorkqvist. I guess Philips, too, if you want to count him.

He's done better keeping higher end picks the last two years, but that much missing for that long really hurts the pipeline.

Now, I'm not blaming him for a lot of it, as a lot of those picks were put to good use, and many were spent by Shero, too, but that's what people look at when they say that he has mortgaged the future.

Don't kid yourself - JR definitely trades away a _lot_ of draft picks. More so than Shero did, in fact.
JR has made 30 picks as a Pens' GM, out of a possible 42 (6 drafts, 7 rounds per draft). Granted, three of those picks were traded by Shero, but the rest were traded by JR. So he's picked 71.4% of the picks he could have.
When looked at on a per-round basis, though, it gets worse, as most of the picks he's retained are in the later rounds:
Round 1: 2/6
Round 2: 6/6 (he acquired a couple extras to make up for others that he traded away)
Round 3: 3/6
Round 4: 2/6
Round 5: 7/6
Round 6: 5/6
Round 7: 5/6

Rutherford has traded away almost 1 out of every 5 picks the Pens have had while he has been GM.

For comparison, here's what Shero did during his 8 drafts as Pens' GM:
44 picks made out of 49 possible (89.8%) (two picks had been traded away by Craig Patrick)
Round 1: 7/8
Round 2: 5/8
Round 3: 7/8
Round 4: 9/8
Round 5: 8/8
Round 6: 10/8
Round 7: 4/8

Of course, it's also worth pointing out that Rutherford won two Stanley Cups, and Shero won one. That's the goal after all. Stockpiling a prospect pool doesn't mean much if it doesn't translate into success.

Dipsy Doodle

Rent A Barn
May 28, 2006
I want us to go after Brodie this season. He's on the block to upgrade their forward group. He plays RD so he can replace Schultz in the lineup if we choose to keep him longterm. Dude checks off alot of boxes for us.

I was actually thinking about this today.

The only issue is...where do you put him this season? You could try him on LD, but apparently he's struggled with that in Calgary. Or trade Guds for cap space but that probably means we'd be keeping JJ, which is unacceptable no matter what.

Andy99

Jun 26, 2017
Dumo Letang
JMFJ Schultz
Pettersson Guds
Riikola Rhuwedel
POJ Trotman
If JJ is playing with Schultz again on the second pair, we might as well call it a season...that pair is worse than bad and they can’t get the puck to Geno...we’re going to be a one line team again...Petts and Schultz better be given a long look...

Gurglesons

Dec 18, 2009
San Diego, CA
I was actually thinking about this today.

The only issue is...where do you put him this season? You could try him on LD, but apparently he's struggled with that in Calgary. Or trade Guds for cap space but that probably means we'd be keeping JJ, which is unacceptable no matter what.

Don’t really see what we have to afford Brodie considering he almost went for Kadri.

Probably just have to hope he goes to UFA. And then we can pretend we will have cap for him.

TooManyHumans

May 4, 2018
Don't kid yourself - JR definitely trades away a _lot_ of draft picks. More so than Shero did, in fact.
JR has made 30 picks as a Pens' GM, out of a possible 42 (6 drafts, 7 rounds per draft). Granted, three of those picks were traded by Shero, but the rest were traded by JR. So he's picked 71.4% of the picks he could have.
When looked at on a per-round basis, though, it gets worse, as most of the picks he's retained are in the later rounds:
Round 1: 2/6
Round 2: 6/6 (he acquired a couple extras to make up for others that he traded away)
Round 3: 3/6
Round 4: 2/6
Round 5: 7/6
Round 6: 5/6
Round 7: 5/6

Rutherford has traded away almost 1 out of every 5 picks the Pens have had while he has been GM.

For comparison, here's what Shero did during his 8 drafts as Pens' GM:
44 picks made out of 49 possible (89.8%) (two picks had been traded away by Craig Patrick)
Round 1: 7/8
Round 2: 5/8
Round 3: 7/8
Round 4: 9/8
Round 5: 8/8
Round 6: 10/8
Round 7: 4/8

Of course, it's also worth pointing out that Rutherford won two Stanley Cups, and Shero won one. That's the goal after all. Stockpiling a prospect pool doesn't mean much if it doesn't translate into success.
For the most part I really don't have a problem with how he has used the picks. The worst move he made involving picks was probably the Brassard trade, and I liked it at the time. I didn't particularly like the Reaves trade so I guess that is knock but overall I think going for it now is worth it.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->