Salary Cap: Pittsburgh Penguins Salary Cap Thread: A New Error?

Status
Not open for further replies.

CheckingLineCenter

Aug 10, 2018
Beggars can't be choosers, though :laugh:

If the option is to trade for an oft-injured good goalie in Raanta or go with DeSmith, I'd gamble on Raanta.

maybe

tbh I’d just like management to do little right now. See what you have and where we need to go, then make moves after the season. Maybe a swap of mid level players like McCann for Bennett or a gamble on some waiver pickup or cheap trade, but I’d like them to keep it to a minimum at this juncture.

The exception being if we are are trending towards either extreme at the TDL, then I’d say ok to make some major deals.

Edit: and I’ve got no issue with DeSmith right now. He’s won 4 of 5 starts so his save percentage isn’t really hurting us lmao.

Empoleon8771

Aug 25, 2015
Redmond, WA
McCann and DeSmith to Arizona for Raanta and Caggiula
Sceviour and futures to Calgary for Bennett
Dumoulin to someone for the best futures based return you can get

Guentzel-Crosby-Rust
Bennett-Malkin-Kapanen
Zucker-Blueger-Caggiula
ZAR-Jankowski-Tanev

Pettersson-Letang
POJ-Marino
Matheson-Ruhwedel

Jarry-Raanta

You downgrade on defense but IMO Bennett over McCann is a net positive for this team (despite McCann being better than Bennett), you address your goaltending situation and I also think Caggiula is a good addition to the bottom-6.

pensfan71

Jun 9, 2010
Personally, I'd rather try to fix the defensive scheme or improve the d-core before trading away a 24 year old goalie who will probably improve and is a good mainstay for our retool. But you know, apparently the d-core is fine

Gurglesons

Dec 18, 2009
San Diego, CA
last-train-tocool.blogspot.com
I mean didn't you propose Guentzel and a 1st for Bennett?

The idea that you have to keep DeSmith because he's not losing is literally as bad of a take as that Guentzel proposal.

Yes. I made a bad proposal 5 years ago.

I didn’t defend the Jack Johnson signing and propose Poulin for Jarnkrok a few weeks ago and now want to move real assets for a ballon contract.

Desmith has been decent and costs nothing and is ED eligible. Why would we trade him?

Empoleon8771

Aug 25, 2015
Redmond, WA
"We can't trade DeSmith because he's winning"
+
"We can't trade Jarry because he's going to be a mainstay for our retool"
=
"Goaltending isn't a problem and we don't need any changes in net"

This is at least how I interpret those comments together.

Empoleon8771

Aug 25, 2015
Redmond, WA
Yes. I made a bad proposal 5 years ago.

I didn’t. Defend the Jack Johnson signing and propose Poulin for Jarnkrok a few weeks ago and now want to move real assets
for a ballon contract.

Insisting that it's necessary to keep Jeff Zatkoff 2.0 because the Penguins have won 3 shootout games with him in net is just as bad as literally any criticism you can make about my post history.

Gurglesons

Dec 18, 2009
San Diego, CA
Defending keeping Jeff Zatkoff 2.0 because the Penguins have won 3 shootout games with him in net is just as bad as literally any criticism you can make about my post history.

I mean, I guess. I just don’t see why we’d move Desmith at this time period for Fleury.

Also, I don’t think Fleury is even available anymore. Stephenson is working out wonderfully for Vegas. They have little needs on their roster especially one that handicaps a position that if we are making knee jerk reactions has been questionable for them so far.

Empoleon8771

Aug 25, 2015
Redmond, WA
Fleury is completely irrelevant here. It's the fact that claiming that it's necessary to keep DeSmith because he has won, while he only has 4 wins because the Penguins have provided a lot of offensive support in games he has played, is downright insanity.

It's literally the equivalent of saying they need to keep Sam Lafferty if Sam Lafferty would have a stretch of having 3 points in 5 games. DeSmith has been fine this year (for what he is), but they desperately need help in net. They need to get someone who can take the load off of Jarry and let him work back into his game. DeSmith isn't that. You're not going to keep winning games with relying on DeSmith as he's giving up 3 or 4 goals a game.

Reactions: BrookswasHere44

Shady Machine

Aug 6, 2010
I’m also of the mind that it’s too early for a new management team to come in and make trades. It’s been one game and there are no quick fixes.

I’m concerned about a lot of things, including goaltending, but there doesn’t seem to be any easy obvious fixes other than get Jarry playing better. I get Emps point on DeSmith and personally am not a big fan, but he is winning games and that’s obviously important in the near term for morale and motivation.

I’d probably chill out for another 10 games and see where things go before doing much of anything, unless a no brainer or cheap deal comes up that makes sense.

Reactions: CheckingLineCenter

CheckingLineCenter

Aug 10, 2018
Yes, this board sucks bc most people are not eager to evaluate and dismiss two cheap goalies after 12 games of relatively crappy hockey from everyone.

Imo DeSmith and McCann for Raanta and Caggilua or however you spell it is just spinning our wheels or throwing darts. Maybe it works but it’s more of just trying crap for the sake of trying it. Sick of the JR strategy man. Let’s build a team here.

Empoleon8771

Aug 25, 2015
Redmond, WA
I’m also of the mind that it’s too early for a new management team to come in and make trades. It’s been one game and there are no quick fixes.

I’m concerned about a lot of things, including goaltending, but there doesn’t seem to be any easy obvious fixes other than get Jarry playing better. I get Emps point on DeSmith and personally am not a big fan, but he is winning games and that’s obviously important in the near term for morale and motivation.

I’d probably chill out for another 10 games and see where things go before doing much of anything, unless a no brainer or cheap deal comes up that makes sense.

That's valid, but how long is that going to last? I don't even think DeSmith has played poorly this year, he's just not that good. You're not going to get much better than 3 goals against when you're playing this poorly in front of him, just because that's who he is.

It's just a really weird argument to make, to suggest that they shouldn't look for an upgrade on DeSmith because it's not causing them to lose yet. It's especially weird when you add on the fact that the same people making that claim are also arguing the 2nd line needs to be broken up, despite it being really productive since being put together.

Yes, this board sucks bc most people are not eager to evaluate and dismiss two cheap goalies after 12 games of relatively crappy hockey from everyone.

Imo DeSmith and McCann for Raanta and Caggilua or however you spell it is just spinning our wheels or throwing darts. Maybe it works but it’s more of just trying crap for the sake of trying it. Sick of the JR strategy man. Let’s build a team here.

Yeah, pretty much. This board argues stupid shit all of the time for really stupid reasons, and "we need to keep Jeff Zatkoff 2.0 because he's not causing us to lose yet" is among the top of those stupid as shit things.

I would trade literally any single player on this team not named Crosby or Malkin if it made the team better, so to see "we can't trade our fringe NHL/AHL goalie because he has won 4 games when the Penguins have scored a bunch of goals" is downright mind boggling to me.

Gurglesons

Dec 18, 2009
San Diego, CA
Fleury is completely irrelevant here. It's the fact that claiming that it's necessary to keep DeSmith because he has won, while he only has 4 wins because the Penguins have provided a lot of offensive support in games he has played, is downright insanity.

It's literally the equivalent of saying they need to keep Sam Lafferty if Sam Lafferty would have a stretch of having 3 points in 5 games. DeSmith has been fine this year (for what he is), but they desperately need help in net. They need to get someone who can take the load off of Jarry and let him work back into his game. DeSmith isn't that. You're not going to keep winning games with relying on DeSmith as he's giving up 3 or 4 goals a game.

My point is more that trading Desmith at this point seems like the @Empoleon8771 knee jerk special.

Empoleon8771

Aug 25, 2015
Redmond, WA
My point is more that trading Desmith at this point seems like the @Empoleon8771 knee jerk special.

DeSmith sucked in the AHL last year, and has proceeded to give the exact kind of performance you'd expect out of a fringe NHL goalie behind a bad defensive team this year.

I guess some people would rather wait and see this season completely pissed away before doing anything. I'm not one of those people. The fact that the Penguins won 2 5-4 games and 2 4-3 games doesn't magically mean DeSmith is somehow okay, especially when Jarry is struggling as much as he is.

I've been on the "DeSmith is not a reliable NHL caliber backup" bandwagon since around February 2019. I've been making the Zatkoff comparison since last season. This is not a knee jerk.

Reactions: Ginormousthumbs

CheckingLineCenter

Aug 10, 2018
Yeah, pretty much. This board argues stupid shit all of the time for really stupid reasons, and "we need to keep Jeff Zatkoff 2.0 because he's not causing us to lose yet" is among the top of those stupid as shit things.

Not what I’m saying.

I think most feel he is low priority. We don’t need to keep him, but he is not someone we absolutely need to jettison at this moment in time either. Essentially, he is playing well enough to warrant patience with him and the position group.

I’m just averse to spending more cap on goalies when we don’t even know what direction this team is going in with the mediocre start and new management coming in. And I think it’s gonna take some time to evaluate where this team is at, and once we know that I’d like to move with more conviction and direction/purpose than JR did.

But no, it’s such a stupid position to hold, HFBoards is dumb.

Empoleon8771

Aug 25, 2015
Redmond, WA
Not what I’m saying.

I think most feel he is low priority. We don’t need to keep him, but he is not someone we absolutely need to jettison at this moment in time either.

I’m just averse to spending more cap on goalies when we don’t even know what direction this team is going in with the mediocre start and new management coming in. And I think it’s gonna take some time to evaluate where this team is at, and once we know that I’d like to move with more conviction and direction/purpose than JR did.

But no, it’s such a stupid position to hold, HFBoards is dumb.

DeSmith isn't the issue though, it's Jarry. DeSmith in a vacuum is doing fine IMO, he's doing exactly how you'd expect a goalie of his caliber would do behind this system. The issue is they need something better than that as long as Jarry continues to struggle. The problem here is that DeSmith isn't a good enough option to play a significant amount of games behind Jarry, which they need with Jarry struggling right now. DeSmith is fine as a backup in general, but it's not fine if you need to be riding him as your starter is in the toilet.

DeSmith isn't a problem as a backup, DeSmith is a problem in what the Penguins need out of their 2nd goalie right now. If DeSmith keeps playing games and gives up 3+ goals every game (which I can't criticize because that's not him playing poorly), you're going to struggle to win. It hasn't bit them yet, but it's going to sooner than later.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad