Salary Cap: Pittsburgh Penguins Salary Cap: The Trades We'd Make Before The Play Offs

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jules Winnfield

Fleurymanbad
Mar 19, 2010
I just don’t get this...McCann hasn’t put his game together in 5 years in the NHL...as I said, lots of tools and no toolbox

To the disagreement of many here, I still think McCann is a better winger than C.

He's versatile and for what he'll be getting paid he'll be a bargain over other players making in the same range. They don't love him enough that they wouldn't trade him in a deal but they hold him high enough to see the value in him. I just don't agree with them on their usage of him.

Jules Winnfield

Fleurymanbad
Mar 19, 2010
They still gonna love him if he finishes the play-offs as the 4th most important C, but will want 3m+ for it from next season, and they can get a 40 point pace C price from other teams for him but the price to shift Bjugstad/JJ is really high?

I suspect the answer is still yes, but I suspect we might end up regretting that.

At his age/skills he's still a bargain and trade chip for what he brings. Again, I think they are misusing him as a center and he's a better winger than a C. They like his speed and versatility. He's not a negative in the lineup though I think he's more of a negative by forcing him at C instead of the wing. There are a lot more negative salary players on the Pens than McCann.

Peat

Jun 14, 2016
At his age/skills he's still a bargain and trade chip for what he brings. Again, I think they are misusing him as a center and he's a better winger than a C. They like his speed and versatility. He's not a negative in the lineup though I think he's more of a negative by forcing him at C instead of the wing. There are a lot more negative salary players on the Pens than McCann.

I don't think he's a negative or will be grossly overpaid (although it might look that way if current opportunities continue). I think that the argument about what he provides for the team given his usage vs. what he can provide for the team given his trade value doesn't look great unless he gets more ice time and responsibility than he currently does.

And if he's worse at C than at W, I think that only increases that as we have a ton of wingers but enough Cs. and everytime another GM comes to the opinion he's misused as a C, his trade chip value drops.

I get that the org love him. I get why even if I don't totally agree. But if they don't have a place for him, if he's gonna be a car sat in the 4C garage, then maybe they should sell.

Reactions: Andy99

Jules Winnfield

Fleurymanbad
Mar 19, 2010
I don't think he's a negative or will be grossly overpaid (although it might look that way if current opportunities continue). I think that the argument about what he provides for the team given his usage vs. what he can provide for the team given his trade value doesn't look great unless he gets more ice time and responsibility than he currently does.

And if he's worse at C than at W, I think that only increases that as we have a ton of wingers but enough Cs. and everytime another GM comes to the opinion he's misused as a C, his trade chip value drops.

I get that the org love him. I get why even if I don't totally agree. But if they don't have a place for him, if he's gonna be a car sat in the 4C garage, then maybe they should sell.

This is a GMJR issue IMO. We don't have a solid 3C in the organization. They thought Bjugstad would be that guy and then it turned out the liked him better on the wing. Bjugstad is another story and he sucks/never fit in here. He's a typical Alex Ponikarovsky type that will do ok on bad teams but not excel on good teams.

I'd much rather have McCann on the first line with Crosby and Guentzel and punt Sheary into outer space somewhere but then that leaves a hole at 3C. He's always been a 3C filler in my eyes because they've had no one else to take that role over and excel with it.

Peat

Jun 14, 2016
This is a GMJR issue IMO. We don't have a solid 3C in the organization. They thought Bjugstad would be that guy and then it turned out the liked him better on the wing. Bjugstad is another story and he sucks/never fit in here. He's a typical Alex Ponikarovsky type that will do ok on bad teams but not excel on good teams.

I'd much rather have McCann on the first line with Crosby and Guentzel and punt Sheary into outer space somewhere but then that leaves a hole at 3C. He's always been a 3C filler in my eyes because they've had no one else to take that role over and excel with it.

McCann's functionally the 4C instead of the 3C. Therein lies the issue. Not that he's been a particularly more effective C here than Bjugstad either.

Can't agree about wanting McCann ahead of Sheary either. Sheary's far better on the right, has more chemistry with Sid, plays a better game around the net, is a better playmaker, and might even be a more consistent player.

And given that none of McCann, Guentzel or Zucker have looked comfortable on the right, if people think the best use of McCann is as a top 6 W, that's another reason to think about trading him.

Dipsy Doodle

Rent A Barn
May 28, 2006

I still want to see how he performs with a playmaking winger like Poulin.

Marleau and Hornqvist is a grab bag seemingly designed in a lab to hamper what he does best.

Reactions: Peat

Peat

Jun 14, 2016

Marleau and Hornqvist is a grab bag seemingly designed in a lab to hamper what he does best.

Yup to both.

I guess my bottom line on McCann is I hope they value him based on how much use they've got for him, and not how much they like him. They've got a use for him, he's gonna get good ice time with a guy like Poulin or Simon to counter-balance his issues, sweet. If not, as currently seems to maybe be the case, then this talk will happen again and again until he's traded.

Reactions: Soggy Biscuit

mpp9

Dec 5, 2010

Marleau was better than McCann in game 2. That should not happen.

SEALBound

Fancy Gina Carano
Sponsor
Jun 13, 2010
Can we start talking about the 1OV we are about to get?

If Ottawa wants it...

3ov + 5ov for 1ov?

What about a kicker to have them take Johnson?

EightyOne

My posts are jokes. And hockey is just a game.
Nov 23, 2016

If Ottawa wants it...

3ov + 5ov for 1ov?

It is tempting to get two top five picks instead of just the 1....hahahah

Peat

Jun 14, 2016

If Ottawa wants it...

3ov + 5ov for 1ov?

I'd want to do that but Lafreniere is ready now and 3rd and 5th are slight question marks. I'd go with the safety.

I'd change my mind if they took JJ as well.

Reactions: KIRK and Andy99

Rakell67

Sep 28, 2017
PA

If Ottawa wants it...

3ov + 5ov for 1ov?

What were the conditions of the Zucker trade involving our 1st round pick? That the Pens can choose to trade it this year or next no matter what or contingent on them making the playoffs? The qualifier round has been deemed as playoffs by the NHL so if the Pens lose this qualifier round, do they automatically lose the pick?

Peat

Jun 14, 2016
What were the conditions of the Zucker trade involving our 1st round pick? That the Pens can choose to trade it this year or next no matter what or contingent on them making the playoffs? The qualifier round has been deemed as playoffs by the NHL so if the Pens lose this qualifier round, do they automatically lose the pick?

The play-in round is not deemed to be counted as making the playoffs for the purpose of conditional picks. A team is only deemed to have made the playoffs for the purpose of conditional picks if they reach the final 16. Our conditional was we could choose not to send this year's pick if we didn't make the playoffs so if we lose this round, we still have this year's pick if we choose.

I'd actually be more surprised than not if they don't do something dramatic if they lose this round with a whimper. Doubt it would be Sullivan, but I'll bet you that you hear a ton of Letang chatter (some of it legit).

I would like to rethink my stance on doing something dramatic.

Reactions: Rust17

Randy Butternubs

Mar 15, 2008
Morningside
Should the Pens actually get the first overall pick, I'm sure they'd receive plenty of interesting offers. Right now I'd only consider offers from LA, Ottawa, and Detroit given who the top 5 are in the draft (and this is because I have only looked at those teams' prospect pools, and not teams such as Buffalo).

For LA, I'd consider the first overall for the second if they were to include one of their top expansion draft exempt prospects and perhaps another pick (Turcotte or Kupari perhaps? Vilardi is interesting too but has had injury/back issues). I'd then draft Byfield.

For Ottawa, I'd consider the first for the third and fifth overall. I think I'd also try to get the 21st overall. :laugh: Like mentioned above, I think I'd also try to get them to take JJ. Assuming LA drafts Byfield, I'd then take Stutzle. I'm unsure of who Detroit would take at 4, but then I'd take Drysdale, Raymond, or Rossi at 5 in that order of preference. If the Sens wouldn't give up the 21st as well, I'd like to acquire Brannstrom. Actually, I'd prefer a higher end prospect as opposed to the 21st.

For Detroit, I'd want their fourth overall, their 2021 1st, Zadina, and something else of significant note. Veleno is intriguing.

I can tell I'm aiming big, but I have no clue how much other teams would value Lafreniere.

Edit: changed some of my language as I think I'd still hold on to the 1st overall

Last edited:

Empoleon8771

Aug 25, 2015
Redmond, WA
Should the Pens actually get the first overall pick, I'm sure they'd receive plenty of interesting offers. Right now I'd only consider offers from LA, Ottawa, and Detroit given who the top 5 are in the draft (and this is because I have only looked at those teams' prospect pools, and not teams such as Buffalo).

For LA, I'd trade the first overall for the second if they were to include one of their top expansion draft exempt prospects and perhaps another pick (Turcotte or Kupari perhaps? Vilardi is interesting too but has had injury/back issues). I'd then draft Byfield.

For Ottawa, I'd trade the first for the third and fifth overall. I think I'd also try to get the 21st overall. :laugh: Like mentioned above, I think I'd also try to get them to take JJ. Assuming LA drafts Byfield, I'd then take Stutzle. I'm unsure of who Detroit would take at 4, but then I'd take Drysdale, Raymond, or Rossi at 5 in that order of preference. If the Sens wouldn't give up the 21st as well, I'd like to acquire Brannstrom. Actually, I'd prefer a higher end prospect as opposed to the 21st.

For Detroit, I'd want their fourth overall, their 2021 1st, Zadina, and something else of note. Veleno is intriguing.

I can tell I'm aiming big, but I have no clue how much other teams would value Lafreniere.

The only chance I'd ever considering moving that pick is if someone is offering a Lafreniere caliber RW straight up for the pick. I would much rather take the guy who's a guaranteed top-6 forward over getting more pieces that may be top-6 forwards.

The thought of running with Guentzel-Crosby-Lafreniere is way too appealing for me to to consider moving that pick for quantity.

Randy Butternubs

Mar 15, 2008
Morningside
x1L96In.png

Reactions: Turin

Shrimper

Trick or ruddy treat
Feb 20, 2010
Essex

If Ottawa wants it...

3ov + 5ov for 1ov?

I'd actually consider that. Yeah Lafreniere is ready but so are a few others. Why not get a forward and a D?

But i don't see us getting the pick anyway

Peat

Jun 14, 2016
I'd actually consider that. Yeah Lafreniere is ready but so are a few others. Why not get a forward and a D?

But i don't see us getting the pick anyway

That runs pretty counter to everything I've read about the draft - Lafreniere is almost certainly ready, everybody else probably isn't. Bonus points for the next most ready player (in Stutzle) maybe not being able to come over in time anyway.

Last edited:
Reactions: pixiesfanyo

Sidney the Kidney

One last time
Jun 29, 2009
I can't believe people are actually entertaining the idea of trading that 1st overall if we got it.

Lafreniere is everything this team needs. He's exactly that elite talent that we need, and we'd have him for 3 years on an ELC.

Empoleon8771

Aug 25, 2015
Redmond, WA
New wisdom from the trade boards, apparently RFA rights don't have a lot of value anymore. Despite the fact that literally every off-season has valuable RFAs traded for good returns, like Trouba, Burakovsky, Lindholm, Hanifin, Domi, Grubauer and Saad. RFA rights apparently don't have a lot of value :laugh:

Dipsy Doodle

Rent A Barn
May 28, 2006
I can't believe people are actually entertaining the idea of trading that 1st overall if we got it.

Lafreniere is everything this team needs. He's exactly that elite talent that we need, and we'd have him for 3 years on an ELC.

Line up Guentzel and Lafreniere on Sid and Geno's LWs and trade Zucker for an RH shot scoring winger like Palms.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad