Salary Cap: Pittsburgh Penguins Salary Cap: The Trades We'd Make Before The Play Offs

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jules Winnfield

Fleurymanbad
Mar 19, 2010
So who does everyone think is going to be gone before next season starts? I think this is going to be the biggest offseason blowup of the Crosby era. Of course there will be some mediocre players moving, but I think there's a real chance Kris Letang has played his last game as a Penguin. Probably Murray too.

Murray
Johnson
Schultz
Hornqvist
Sheary
Marlololololol
Bjugstad

Reactions: Andy99 and ownal

robes1

Jul 22, 2015
Sullivan really needs to go, he stopped effectively coaching this team a while ago. After that, get rid of JJ.

Reactions: Andy99

Randy Butternubs

Mar 15, 2008
Morningside
Murray is without a shred of doubt gone. I'm 100% confident he's out.

Beyond that, there is a lot of uncertainty. I think they try to move Hornqvist, but he has a full NTC so they may have problems with that. Letang is a trade candidate as well, which sucks because he's one of a few that showed up in the playoffs. Rust, Guentzel and Dumoulin are the dark horse trade candidates. I think McCann may also get shipped out, mostly due to the Penguins not wanting to pay him.

A lot depends on what happens with the draft lottery.

Slight correction on Hornqvist's NTC: it's partial in that he can list 8 teams he doesn't want to go to

Jules Winnfield

Fleurymanbad
Mar 19, 2010
Sully isn’t the issue. The issue is he lost his general that he had in Tocchet who was the connection to the players and a much better strategist than Recchi. Tocchet had a personal relationship with the players and there was a lot of respect they had of him. They didn’t want to let him down. I’ve been told this from a friend on the inside...

It’s a shame because Sully and Tocchet were a good combo.

66-30-33

Jan 24, 2006
Victoria, BC
Sully isn’t the issue. The issue is he lost his general that he had in Tocchet who was the connection to the players and a much better strategist than Recchi. Tocchet had a personal relationship with the players and there was a lot of respect they had of him. They didn’t want to let him down. I’ve been told this from a friend on the inside...

Maybe Zona fire Tocchet in favor of Gallant or Lavs and we fire Recchi and hire Tocchet back?

EVGENIMERLIN

Jun 29, 2009
Los Angeles, CA

This is my feeling. Tocchet was the field general and Sully was the leader. Rex is not a good coach and Sully is hurting from that loss

Rakell67

Sep 28, 2017
PA
For fun, if Pens were to win the lotto, where would Lafreniere play with Zucker and Guentzel being LWs.

Lafrenière Crosby Zucker
Guentzel Malkin Rust
Simon McCann Hornqvist
Aston-Reese Blueger Tanev
Lafferty

revamped D

Jarry

Big Friggin Dummy

Feb 22, 2019
Even if we don't win the lotto, we'll have a better pick than we've had for almost a decade. If we use Murray and our 1st to move up, we could probably get into the top-10, probably closer to 5 than 10.

The question becomes; Do you trade that pick for a guy who can help make one last shot at a Cup more realistic, or do you draft the stud prospect and start to build for trying to remain relevant during the downturn?

Or, do you split up the Big 3 and load up on a Crosby-led team for the long haul? I don't think you do, because an aging Letang and an aging Malkin don't bring you back what you'd need to make those deals, but if they did...

66-30-33

Jan 24, 2006
Victoria, BC
Maybe now JR wont ignore the D allowing scrubs to man the blue line. Time to rework the D and if Letang does get traded maybe we can get Fowler here somehow? Wanted him for a few years.

Shrimper

Trick or ruddy treat
Feb 20, 2010
Essex
Even if we don't win the lotto, we'll have a better pick than we've had for almost a decade. If we use Murray and our 1st to move up, we could probably get into the top-10, probably closer to 5 than 10.

The question becomes; Do you trade that pick for a guy who can help make one last shot at a Cup more realistic, or do you draft the stud prospect and start to build for trying to remain relevant during the downturn?

Or, do you split up the Big 3 and load up on a Crosby-led team for the long haul? I don't think you do, because an aging Letang and an aging Malkin don't bring you back what you'd need to make those deals, but if they did...

I'd draft a ready prospect and hope next year you do well so it's a late pick

EVGENIMERLIN

Jun 29, 2009
Los Angeles, CA

It's an important question JR needs to ask himself and it depends on need. Do you package Murray, 15th pick, and maybe McCann or Bjugstadt to a team like Buffalo in desperate need of a 2C and could use a cup winning goalie till UPL is ready for 8th and a Brandon Mountor? You can grab a winger like Holtz or a center like Rossi which could help in a year or 2.

If you're moving Letang I look at a team like Toronto who could use Murray and Letang and maybe you get their first plus Kapp back or maybe a kid like Robertson or go D and get Sandin/Liljegren.

The emergence of Marino and Jarry gives them some flexibility to make a move that helps now and in a couple of seasons. If we get a top 10 pick in this draft, combined with Poulin and POJ you are building something

KIRK

Aug 2, 2005

This aligns with what I've heard.

EXCEPT . . . Sullivan was part of the decision to choose Recchi despite knowing what he needed in a replacement to Tocchet.

EDIT: I also understand that Tocchet would play devil's advocate/politely challenge with Sully in a way Recchi never has.

Reactions: EVGENIMERLIN

EVGENIMERLIN

Jun 29, 2009
Los Angeles, CA
This aligns with what I've heard.

EXCEPT . . . Sullivan was part of the decision to choose Recchi despite knowing what he needed in a replacement to Tocchet.

EDIT: I also understand that Tocchet would play devil's advocate/politely challenge with Sully in a way Recchi never has.
If you get Tochh 2.0 Sully still being here might not be a huge issue

Granted as I am typing this my friend texted JJ/Schultz ended the series with 1 min more ice time than Petts/Marino so what the hell am I even talking about Brother Kirk????

Reactions: KIRK

orby

Jun 16, 2013
Erie, PA
www.youtube.com
I wouldn't trade a top 15 pick tbh. Take the best player available and look to the future. The Pens should honestly be thinking about transitioning to the post-Sid and Geno era at this point, not prolonging it. I think this core's time as a powerhouse is over, and getting one more big impact player won't change that.

For the record - I think Malkin will walk when his contract ends. I don't think they will, or should, trade him.

Reactions: KIRK

KIRK

Aug 2, 2005
If you get Tochh 2.0 Sully still being here might not be a huge issue

Granted as I am typing this my friend texted JJ/Schultz ended the series with 1 min more ice time than Petts/Marino so what the hell am I even talking about Brother Kirk????

In a few words . . .

tenor.gif

Reactions: EVGENIMERLIN

Will Hunting

Immortal Adams
Dec 14, 2011
European Union
There is no chance that Guentzel, Rust or Dumo are traded. None. Not ideal in this series but you have to look at the bigger picture with them. They are gonna be very good players next season, more likely than not. I am just happy that Justin Schultz played last game in Pens uniform. A bit cruel for Murray too. He is not the reason why they choked here but it just makes too much sense to go with Jarry now.

EVGENIMERLIN

Jun 29, 2009
Los Angeles, CA
There is no chance that Guentzel, Rust or Dumo are traded. None. Not ideal in this series but you have to look at the bigger picture with them. They are gonna be very good players next season, more likely than not. I am just happy that Justin Schultz played last game in Pens uniform. A bit cruel for Murray too. He is not the reason why they choked here but it just makes too much sense to go with Jarry now.
I think you could argue Marino has supplanted Dumo though I don't think Dumo is going anywhere. I could legit see Letang traded and Dumo Marino as your top pair

Turin

Feb 27, 2018

Sullivan had no reason to play JJ and Marleau. They brought nothing but age. Where did his stones go?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

• Gold Coast Suns @ Brisbane Lions
    Gold Coast Suns @ Brisbane Lions
    Wagers: 3
    Staked: $36,790.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Cagliari vs Lecce
    Cagliari vs Lecce