Salary Cap: Pittsburgh Penguins Salary Cap: The Trades We'd Make Before The Play Offs

Status
Not open for further replies.

KIRK

Aug 2, 2005
Trade Murray, McCann and Bjugstad

Let Sheary, Rodrigues, Schultz, Marleau walk

Deck-Chairs-Titanic.gif

(you need to aim much bigger than that)

Reactions: EVGENIMERLIN

KIRK

Aug 2, 2005
There is no chance that Guentzel, Rust or Dumo are traded. None. Not ideal in this series but you have to look at the bigger picture with them. They are gonna be very good players next season, more likely than not. I am just happy that Justin Schultz played last game in Pens uniform. A bit cruel for Murray too. He is not the reason why they choked here but it just makes too much sense to go with Jarry now.

I think the bigger picture is something ownership has to take a really long look at, and if their approach isn't 'we will consider anything but moving Sid', then they're approaching it wrong.

(doesn't mean do everything, but there needs to be a big change, one of Geno, Letang, or Sullivan, with or without JR)

KIRK

Aug 2, 2005
He played like a 1M Dman during the season although you hear people say how solid he was LMAO!

Look, 4M is the market rate for him. But he's just so vanilla. JR towards the end of his time in Carolina put good money into a defense than was as soft as it was bad. This defense is the same thing (except for Johnson, who's stupidity and incompetence on the ice far outweighs any value his 'toughness' brings).

66-30-33

Jan 24, 2006
Victoria, BC
Look, 4M is the market rate for him. But he's just so vanilla. JR towards the end of his time in Carolina put good money into a defense than was as soft as it was bad. This defense is the same thing (except for Johnson, who's stupidity and incompetence on the ice far outweighs any value his 'toughness' brings).
Get another GM that worries about the D while JR doesn't have to anymore.

KIRK

Aug 2, 2005
Get another GM that worries about the D while JR doesn't have to anymore.

It's not like JR didn't commit dollars to the D. BUT, the mix is absolute dog ****, and he overpays for it.

KIRK

Aug 2, 2005
The top-4 D on this team is 100% not a problem. That's like one of a few areas you don't need to worry about.

Yes, it's a problem. Not in terms of the individuals. In terms of the mix.

Dumo had a crap series. And Petts . . . look, I'll chalk it to year 2 struggles, but the duo with Marino was charmin soft and worse still Petts first pass, which had been an asset last year, was Schultz level bad.

KIRK

Aug 2, 2005
I disagree. Petts is a bottom pair D.

Unfortunately he's being paid to be a 2nd pairing D.

As I wrote earlier, the Petts from this year is precisely the type of guy JR was giving 4M equivalent deals towards the end of his tenure in Carolina, when he left them with a crap mix on defense despite the money being spent annually.

Empoleon8771

Aug 25, 2015
Redmond, WA
I disagree. Petts is a bottom pair D.

No he's not. He's a fine #4D. At worst, he's a fringe #4/5.

Dumo had a crap series. And Petts . . . look, I'll chalk it to year 2 struggles, but the duo with Marino was charmin soft and worse still Petts first pass, which had been an asset last year, was Schultz level bad.

No it isn't.

Look, this just sounds like being mad that you don't like the color of the walls in your house as it's on fire. At worst, you have a #1 in Letang, 2 fringe #2/3 in Dumoulin and Marino and a fringe #4/5 in Pettersson. That's not a problem. If the mix is a problem, you swap Letang and Marino.

mpp9

Dec 5, 2010
I would say having a D or two on the bottom pairing that can play legit minutes and move up if/when Petts or Marino struggles would be very beneficial.

I highly doubt Sullivan thinks Johnson is a better D than Petts or Marino. But he obviously didn't trust the 2nd pairing enough to play them enough minutes to bench the bottom pairing.

KIRK

Aug 2, 2005
No he's not. He's a fine #4D. At worst, he's a fringe #4/5.

No it isn't.

Look, this just sounds like being mad that you don't like the color of the walls in your house as it's on fire. At worst, you have a #1 in Letang, 2 fringe #2/3 in Dumoulin and Marino and a fringe #4/5 in Pettersson. That's not a problem. If the mix is a problem, you swap Letang and Marino.

I think you're a little higher on Petts and his value, both in terms of the contract and how he fits in the mix, than I am, so we'll just have to agree to disagree.

BTW, it's not because I'm 'mad' . . . I've been saying this about Petts for a while.

EVGENIMERLIN

Jun 29, 2009
Los Angeles, CA

I just don't think Dumo was healthy enough. Part of me wonders if a few guys were in their own heads about the whole situation and didn't feel comfortable being there all things considered.

This looked like a team that wanted to be on the first plane out of there today

The Greatest 101

Dec 10, 2013
Manchuria
I just don't think Dumo was healthy enough. Part of me wonders if a few guys were in their own heads about the whole situation and didn't feel comfortable being there all things considered.

This looked like a team that wanted to be on the first plane out of there today
Dumo drinks too much wine. I wonder if he’s out of shape right now.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad