Salary Cap: Pittsburgh Penguins Salary Cap: The Trades We'd Make Before The Play Offs

Status
Not open for further replies.

Peat

Jun 14, 2016
That PP did not lose us games. It was a much bigger net positive than the present one.

And for small sample size reference, last playoffs Crosby, Guentzel, and Letang combined for 3 points total.

We conceded shorties in 15 games last season and only won 4 of them. I cba to go through all of them right now but it's pretty likely that yeah, the short-handed goals had a significant part in losing at least a few of those 11 games.

Dipsy Doodle

Rent A Barn
May 28, 2006
We conceded shorties in 15 games last season and only won 4 of them. I cba to go through all of them right now but it's pretty likely that yeah, the short-handed goals had a significant part in losing at least a few of those 11 games.

How many games did our much worse PP cost us this year?

Headshot77

Bad Photoshopper
Feb 15, 2015
I think Zadina fell off a little bit. Not sure he's a guy that's gonna give up to his draft position. I'd rather have LaFraniere. Tkachuk though would be an interesting ask. To be honest, a Matt Tkachuk is something we need more than a Taylor Hall. I know it's Brady but I get more exposure to Matt so that's what I'm basing that on.

I think the premise of trading 1 for 3 and 5 or something around that, is to also unload a contract and get an extra asset back. I can't imagine a guy like JJ or Bjugstad wouldn't be included in the deal.

Thanks guys, so I'm pretty well on in suggesting that while he would be a fantastic talent, this isn't your next franchise player that you can't let go.

Bjug can be traded to any major market team with a 3rd to be bought out.his buyout is so soft that a team can essentially buy a 3rd round pick or similar asset the Penguins for the low cost of his buyout. A team like Detroit would do that in a heartbeat, actually they would probably play him NVM.

The Old Master

come and take it.
Sep 27, 2004
burgh
Affirmative.

Basically once the playins are done there's a lottery for those 8 teams, winner gets 9OA, losers get picks based on where they finished the season, which puts us at 15OA.
is there any chance that some teams that are now lower than us get in??? and wouldn't that give us a higher pick?

Peat

Jun 14, 2016
is there any chance that some teams that are now lower than us get in??? and wouldn't that give us a higher pick?

No, because whichever team wins whichever match-up, they're all lower than us. The price for having to do magical play-in stuff when finishing 7th. We'd better get Laf if we fail, because we deserve him for that.

Reactions: The Old Master

Andy99

Jun 26, 2017
Man plans and God laughs.

Does this always mean we should be planning around failure? Is @Andy99 going to lead us in a great reverse-jinx? :P

The reverse jinx has worked very well for me in life. I’ve won a lot of jury trials employing it, lol...I’m happy to lead a Reverse Jinx Matters protest for the Pens PO chances...or rather, maybe I should say we’ll never get lucky enough to land Lafreniere!

Reactions: Peat

SEALBound

Fancy Gina Carano
Sponsor
Jun 13, 2010
The reverse jinx has worked very well for me in life. I’ve won a lot of jury trials employing it, lol...I’m happy to lead a Reverse Jinx Matters protest for the Pens PO chances...or rather, maybe I should say we’ll never get lucky enough to land Lafreniere!

I took some bozo down the street to small claims court after saying "well, I mean, you're probably going to win but it's the principle of the thing". It torched him in court and won my $91 settlement and he paid my $250 court fee.

The problem is you're also gambling because picks 3 and 5 aren't anywhere close to sure bets as 1st OA tends to be. There's almost no chance Lafreniere busts. Even if he doesn't live up to his hype, he'll still be a top line player. Historically, only Yakupov and maybe RNH to some extent didn't live up to being what you want from a 1OA. Compare that to the guys taken 3rd and 5th those same years and it's night and day.

History is always 20-20. I think what you have to do is go back to past drafts with a 1OV comparable to him in recent years and then way what the 3 and 5 became vs the 1. Similars would be: Hall, RNH, Yakupov (stretch), Ekblad, Hischier, and Hughes.

Hall vs Gudbranson and Niederreiter...yikes
RNH vs Huberdeau and Ryan Strome...meh
Yakupov vs Galchenyuk and Morgan Reilly...blah
Ekblad vs Draisaitl and Dal Colle.
Hischier vs Heiskanen and Pettersson...whoa!
Hughes vs Dach and Turcotte...too early to tell.

If you look earlier to similar players, perhaps Nash and Kovalchuk?
Nash vs Bouwmeester and Whitney
Kovalchuk vs ...well I'll save it - it's two no name Russians.

So, maybe one out of the 8, you take the 3/5. Some though are a wash.

Reactions: Andy99

Peat

Jun 14, 2016
History is always 20-20. I think what you have to do is go back to past drafts with a 1OV comparable to him in recent years and then way what the 3 and 5 became vs the 1. Similars would be: Hall, RNH, Yakupov (stretch), Ekblad, Hischier, and Hughes.

I'd take the 3/5 on RNH, Ekblad and Hischier. And Yakupov, but that just feels cruel to count it. Take Hall. Obviously can't speak to Hughes but the fact he's not an instant hit weighs against him.

Randy Butternubs

Mar 15, 2008
Morningside
Checking out some SKATR charts of soon-to-be UFA LD. Jon Merrill has some pretty decent stats and he plays both LD and RD. Should the Pens be able to jettison JJ, I'd certainly look into signing Merrill.

Sidney the Kidney

One last time
Jun 29, 2009
I took some bozo down the street to small claims court after saying "well, I mean, you're probably going to win but it's the principle of the thing". It torched him in court and won my $91 settlement and he paid my $250 court fee.

I think my opinion on the risk is different because my opinion on what Lafreniere will become at the NHL level is different. I personally think he's a lot closer to the Matthews/Eichel level of player than he is to those 1OA above.

ChaosAgent

May 8, 2018
Yes, because if Jarry bombs it tonight and the Penguins get eliminated, I don't think there is a guarantee for who the Penguins stick with next year.

The Penguins may get eliminated without Jarry bombing anything over the next couple days.

They may get eliminated because they aren't a playoff worthy team based on the 6 weeks pre-COVID and now.

Empoleon8771

Aug 25, 2015
Redmond, WA
The Penguins may get eliminated without Jarry bombing anything over the next couple days.

They may get eliminated because they aren't a playoff worthy team based on the 6 weeks pre-COVID and now.

Yes, that is true. But my point still stands though, if Jarry gets absolutely torched today, it opens up a lot of uncertainty when it comes to the Penguins future goaltending situation. So I think it's impossible to stay right now.

Reactions: ChaosAgent

orby

Jun 16, 2013
Erie, PA
www.youtube.com
So who does everyone think is going to be gone before next season starts? I think this is going to be the biggest offseason blowup of the Crosby era. Of course there will be some mediocre players moving, but I think there's a real chance Kris Letang has played his last game as a Penguin. Probably Murray too.

Reactions: EVGENIMERLIN

EVGENIMERLIN

Jun 29, 2009
Los Angeles, CA
So who does everyone think is going to be gone before next season starts? I think this is going to be the biggest offseason blowup of the Crosby era. Of course there will be some mediocre players moving, but I think there's a real chance Kris Letang has played his last game as a Penguin. Probably Murray too.

I agree. I think Murray and Letang are gone. McCann and Bjugstadt could be. I could see Horny too.

I think Sully is on the hottest of seats. Sid/Geno/Jake/Marino are not going anywhere. I don't think Poulin or POJ either due to upside. Everyone else is fair game and I think the team and JR know it.

Shaffer

GuentzGoal
May 20, 2017
Why are people talking about Geno/Letang being traded? No way in hell that happens. That said, Sid/Geno/Jake/Letang/Marino/Jarry are the only safe ones, fill in the x's from there.

Empoleon8771

Aug 25, 2015
Redmond, WA

Murray is without a shred of doubt gone. I'm 100% confident he's out.

Beyond that, there is a lot of uncertainty. I think they try to move Hornqvist, but he has a full NTC so they may have problems with that. Letang is a trade candidate as well, which sucks because he's one of a few that showed up in the playoffs. Rust, Guentzel and Dumoulin are the dark horse trade candidates. I think McCann may also get shipped out, mostly due to the Penguins not wanting to pay him.

A lot depends on what happens with the draft lottery.

Shaffer

GuentzGoal
May 20, 2017
Personally, I think we can get a good defenseman for Murray. Murray+Johnson+2nd for a Dumo level defenseman. Our forwards are talented enough, maybe ship out Hornqvist though. Our defense should be revamped though.

Dumo-Tang
Petterson-Marino
TRADE-?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad