GDT: Pittsburgh Penguins Salary Cap/Free Agency Frenzy GDT

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jobeycool

Jun 20, 2019
I don't want to trade Rust at all or even Bjugstad, but JMFJ+Rust/Bjugstad for picks/futures and signing Gardiner would be a ****ing dream.
I’m kinda thinking that is what is going on with Gardiner....Because every single team in this league is over paying defensemen and then getting rid of them.

KIRK

Aug 2, 2005
I know you think that matters, but it doesn't in the way you think it does. Lee went into the negotiating period and free agency without a contract. He was free to test the waters and I assume fielded offers from other teams. Paying to stay is no different than another team paying anyone to sign on. Was there a discount there, maybe, sure. But that doesn't change my opinion that $7mil for a Lee style player is an overpayment. There are plenty of examples where teams regret paying comparable players.

You're making a bunch of off the wall side arguments that aren't actually addressing the real argument. You're style is as baffling as it is wrong. It's like playing chess or checkers with a blind man.

A team paying its own player to stay is no different than a team choosing NOT to pay it's player who then signs elsewhere?

Okay, you've got me . . . no way my 'off the wall arguments' can compete with that.

134a9h.gif

Shady Machine

Aug 6, 2010
I don't want to trade Rust at all or even Bjugstad, but JMFJ+Rust/Bjugstad for picks/futures and signing Gardiner would be a ****ing dream.

Yes that's a game changer and would be happy if Rust had to be the sacrificial lamb. Kahun and Tanev bring Rust like qualities so it can still work. I don't really want to move Bjugstad unless they feel confident McCann can be a center. If so, then that's fine with me too.

Jake-Sid-Kahun
AG-Geno-Hornqvist
McCann-Bjugstad-Tanev
Simon-Blueger-ZAR

Dumo-Letang
MP-Schultz
Gardiner-Guds

That would be pretty impressive overall.

DesertPenguin

Apr 22, 2015
Rust+JJ+good future for Zucker would make this a killer forward group.
I don't even think you need to get Zucker back. If we are clearing space to bring in a 5.5m player now, it should be for a defender.

Guentzel Crosby Kahun
McCann Malkin Chucky
Tanev Bjugstad Hornqvist
ZAR Bleuger Simon

That's already pretty killer. If Kahun isn't ready for L1 RW, we know Simon works there, Hornqvist works there, McCann works by sliding Guentzel over etc. Options. Plus we've got a few forwards knocking on the door in WBS, whereas the D cupboard is going to be bare until Addison, Almari or Joseph are ready.

I think you send Rust + JJ out for cap space and sign a stop gap LD on a 1 year deal to hold the fort until Pettersson and Riikola push him out of the lineup.

KIRK

Aug 2, 2005
Yes that's a game changer and would be happy if Rust had to be the sacrificial lamb. Kahun and Tanev bring Rust like qualities so it can still work. I don't really want to move Bjugstad unless they feel confident McCann can be a center. If so, then that's fine with me too.

Jake-Sid-Kahun
AG-Geno-Hornqvist
McCann-Bjugstad-Tanev
Simon-Blueger-ZAR

Dumo-Letang
MP-Schultz
Gardiner-Guds

Why do so many people have Hornqvist playing with Malkin?

I'm sure that's what Sullivan will do-- Hornqvist with Malkin and Jack Johnson behind him-- but for the life of me I don't get it, unless the objective is to encourage Malkin to demand a trade.

Reactions: Andy99

tom_servo

Sep 27, 2002
Pittsburgh
Just looking at it in a vacuum, Cal Clutterbuck gets 3.5 mil and I'm assuming Tanev has much more upside.

Wrong thread but whatever.

Reactions: Jacob

DesertPenguin

Apr 22, 2015
I wouldn't complain. For Justin Williams or Hank Williams Jr. Just move JJ. :D
True Story: We convinced my Dad to wear his cowboy hat to Saddle Ridge in Station Square for my little sister's 21st birthday, a number of years back. He managed to convince a group of drunk idiots he was Hank Williams Jr, in town to sing the National Anthem at the Steelers game. Posed for photos and everything. Wouldn't let them wear his hat though. "No. Only Hank wears Hank's hat." Highlight of the night for sure.

Reactions: Peat and KIRK

Gurglesons

Dec 18, 2009
San Diego, CA
last-train-tocool.blogspot.com
I don't even think you need to get Zucker back. If we are clearing space to bring in a 5.5m player now, it should be for a defender.

Guentzel Crosby Kahun
McCann Malkin Chucky
Tanev Bjugstad Hornqvist
ZAR Bleuger Simon

That's already pretty killer. If Kahun isn't ready for L1 RW, we know Simon works there, Hornqvist works there, McCann works by sliding Guentzel over etc. Options. Plus we've got a few forwards knocking on the door in WBS, whereas the D cupboard is going to be bare until Addison, Almari or Joseph are ready.

I think you send Rust + JJ out for cap space and sign a stop gap LD on a 1 year deal to hold the fort until Pettersson and Riikola push him out of the lineup.

We must have very different definitions of “killer”.

That roster reads like a GM that lucked in the 15-16 cup trying to create his impression of it.

Reactions: KIRK and Andy99

PensPlz

Dec 23, 2009
Pittsburgh
So is our identity now "hard to play against"? I keep hearing JR say that.

What is Marcus Johansson expecting to get?

SEALBound

Fancy Gina Carano
Sponsor
Jun 13, 2010
A team paying its own player to stay is no different than a team choosing NOT to pay it's player who then signs elsewhere?

Okay, you've got me . . . no way my 'off the wall arguments' can compete with that.

134a9h.gif

I don't even think you know what you're trying to argue anymore! :laugh:

And how does Jake signing as a RFA fit into all of this again? :skeptic:

Dude, I think you're emotionally spent. Go lay down for awhile.

DesertPenguin

Apr 22, 2015
Why do so many people have Hornqvist playing with Malkin?

I'm sure that's what Sullivan will do-- Hornqvist with Malkin and Jack Johnson behind him-- but for the life of me I don't get it, unless the objective is to encourage Malkin to demand a trade.
Horny works there if the LW can move the puck and play with speed. Chucky on the LW could probably do that.

pokey10

Neat
Apr 26, 2016
Pittsburgh

134a9h.gif

Big Al almosted made the Steelers squad back in the 70's. Not all hero's wear capes.

Reactions: KIRK

Andy99

Jun 26, 2017

Guentzel Crosby Kahun
McCann Malkin Chucky
Tanev Bjugstad Hornqvist
ZAR Bleuger Simon

Lineup long on possession stats, but we’re a sniper short unless Chucky has an epiphany...wouldn’t it have looked good with Panarin on G’s LW?

Jobeycool

Jun 20, 2019
Why in the world is Gardiner not signed a paycheck on this Pens team yet...What is he worth 5.5 million for being 3rd line pairing now.......NHL lockout cannot happen fast enough.

ImporterExporter

"You're a boring old man"
Jun 18, 2013
Oblivion Express
Why pay 6 years and top dollars based on 1 season of that production? This is an overpay pure and simple. Also, it's really rich that you are calling the board out for whining when your sole existence here is to whine about Murray everytime he has a rough outing or stretch.

You're a lot like my ex wife.

Extreme in brandishing hot takes.

By all means, look at my history of posting and please post the evidence that says all I do is post negativity on Murray.

The reality is I simply do the same thing this board did with MAF every time he played like ass. There's a reason for that.

The term is too much but there is no f***ing way to spin paying a top flight bottom 6 F 3.5M per as outrageous.

If he plays and produces like a 3rd line player then 3.5 mil per is absolutely fine.

It's comical that people think you can sign quality depth F's for a mil per in 2019.

10-12 mil for top flight 1st line guys.
6-8 for 2nd line
2-4 for 3rd line
ELC-2 for 4th line.

Explain how 3.5 is a crazy overpayment for Tanev.

I'll wait.

pistolpete11

Apr 27, 2013

Jake-Sid-Kahun
AG-Geno-Hornqvist
McCann-Bjugstad-Tanev
Simon-Blueger-ZAR

Dumo-Letang
MP-Schultz
Gardiner-Guds

How about this for a crazy idea...

JMFJ, Bjugstad, AND Rust for Lowry
Sign Gardiner

The Jets have the cap and roster space to add all of those guys. Bjugstad and Rust are pretty good, versatile players and on reasonable deals. Easily flippable if things go south for them. Can't really justify them wanting JMFJ, but they did just lose Trouba and Meyers. Maybe you could trick them into wanting a 'tough', 'minute eating', 'veteran' like JMFJ.

For the Pens, it solves their biggest weakness (JMFJ), their second biggest weakness (LD), and depending on who you ask, maybe their 3rd biggest weakness (3C). I personally don't have a problem with Bjugstad at 3C, but I do tend to like the 3C's who eat the tough minutes, PK, etc. like Lowry more. With that much cap going out, depending on what Gardiner gets, you might even be able to add another winger.

Jobeycool

Jun 20, 2019
Justin Williams is so washed up.....time to retire all ready
Patrick Marleau washed as well
Maroon also washed up

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad