Pittsburgh Penguins Prospects Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ugene Magic

EVIL LAUGH
Oct 17, 2008
Pittsburgh
@Peat and whoever else is curious:

I attempted to make my own ranking system of prospects. They're rated on their potential and readiness (weighted 66/33). Potential is based on what I see as their ceiling and as their floor. The readiness is based on how they perform at the NHL, AHL, and all other leagues. Performance success at the NHL level is worth more than the AHL. And performance success at the AHL level is worth more than the other leagues.

This is still a work in progress, but here's how my calculations compare to my latest "feelings" list that's in the Prospect #1 Poll thread:

rankfeelscalcsdelta[calcs rating]
1pojpoj-54.83
2poulinpoulin-54.28
3docclangclang +1351.38
4hallanderlindberglindberg +351.38
5zohozoho-50.00
6legaredocdoc -349.50
7lindbergleelee +849.00
8grudenblomqvistblomqvist +948.83
9puustinenpuustinen-48.83
10angellobrozbroz +248.83
11bjorkqvistbjorkqvist-40.56
12brozgrudengruden -440.00
13bellerivereillyreilly +140.00
14reillyangelloangello -440.00
15leehallanderhallander -1139.17
16clanglegarelegare -1036.17
17blomqvistbellerivebellerive -436.00
18maniscalcomaniscalco-32.89
19doriodorio-32.56
20svejksvejk-30.63
21drozgdrozg-28.22
[TBODY] [/TBODY]
Here's the list just based on how the calculations rank their potential (for comparison, McDavid coming out of Erie would be ranked at 9.40):

ranknamep weight
1poulin s6.62
2clang c5.80
3lindberg f5.80
4blomqvist j5.80
5puustinen v5.80
6broz t5.80
7lee c4.60
8joseph po4.35
9oconnor d4.35
10hallander p4.35
11bjorkqvist k4.13
12zohorna r3.90
13gruden j3.90
14reilly w3.90
15legare n3.90
16maniscalco j3.53
17drozg j3.53
18svejkovsky l3.45
19angello3.00
20bellerive j3.00
21dorio a2.63
[TBODY] [/TBODY]
And how the calculations rank their readiness (I think Lee is way too high):

ranknamer weight
1joseph po7.75
2zohorna r7.20
3oconnor d6.15
4angello6.00
5lee c5.50
6bellerive j4.80
7dorio a4.50
8gruden j4.20
9reilly w4.20
10bjorkqvist k3.90
11clang c3.81
12lindberg f3.81
13poulin s3.05
14blomqvist j3.05
15puustinen v3.05
16broz t3.05
17hallander p3.05
18legare n3.05
19maniscalco j2.80
20svejkovsky l2.29
21drozg j1.40
[TBODY] [/TBODY]
Like I said, still a work in progress. There's clearly issues, mostly with how I'm calculating the readiness. The numbers I assigned players for ceiling, floor, performance success, and the weights were purely empirical and I'd like to change that somehow.

See if this helps with what you calculate.

Pittsburgh Penguins

Peat

Jun 14, 2016
Pronman has us last in his prospect pool rankings. Doesn't like our guys skating. 22 and under removes a few of our prospects from the ranking.

Reactions: Andy99

Empoleon8771

Aug 25, 2015
Redmond, WA
Pronman's #1 was POJ, who he lists as "average" skating and "below average" puck skills?

Honestly, Pronman's track record in recent years seems to be getting worse and worse. I can buy the Penguins prospect pool is bad and their top guys (namely Poulin and Legare) have concerns with their skating, but listing POJ's skating as "average" just makes me think that Pronman's evaluations of players is bad.

Big Friggin Dummy

Feb 22, 2019
I'm convinced like 95% of these dudes are just regular schmucks like us with no real clue, but somehow managed to snowball into a following on twitter so their opinions are suddenly respected.

Reactions: SEALBound

HandshakeLine

A real jerk thing
Nov 9, 2005
Praha, CZ
Pronman's #1 was POJ, who he lists as "average" skating and "below average" puck skills?

Honestly, Pronman's track record in recent years seems to be getting worse and worse. I can buy the Penguins prospect pool is bad and their top guys (namely Poulin and Legare) have concerns with their skating, but listing POJ's skating as "average" just makes me think that Pronman's evaluations of players is bad.

Is Pronman the guy who rated topless scenes in Hollywood films?

Reactions: Peat

Gurglesons

Dec 18, 2009
San Diego, CA
last-train-tocool.blogspot.com

Average in comparison to NHLers.

HandshakeLine

A real jerk thing
Nov 9, 2005
Praha, CZ
The Story of Riikola-Oh

riki-oh-the-story-of-ricky-lg.jpg

Reactions: Randy Butternubs

Gurglesons

Dec 18, 2009
San Diego, CA
I’m not a big fan of Pronman. But I think I agree with him in terms of his criteria. Hallander, Poulin, POJ all project as bottom six or bottom pairing guys at this point. That is great help for us, but when viewed against the larger sample in the league it gives us a bad impression.

We can have a prospect pool that potential is a huge gift for our team moving forward and not necessarily great in terms of position in the league.

CheckingLineCenter

Aug 10, 2018
The team has had little to no picks. If 5 skaters are gonna see NHL time as Pronman suggests thats solid.

I don’t even necessarily disagree with calling Poulin a bottom 6er, I think it’s fair even if I’d be higher on him than that (but I’m biased). And I actually like Pronman. Looking at other teams and his draft tiers seems like he’s trying to be harsher this year.

however I wish there was more of an explanation on going from

Tier: Very good NHL player
Skating: 50
Puck Skills: 60
Physical Game: 50
Hockey Sense: 60
Poulin was one of the best players in the QMHL and a driving player for arguably the best team in that league. Poulin is a very creative offensive player with high-end hands who can flash elite caliber puckhandling. He can beat defenders one-on-one with ease and has the ability to break open a shift with his skill. He also makes a ton of great plays to his teammates in the offensive zone, showing vision and patience with the puck. Poulin has a strong frame and shows the ability to make plays around the net. His main drawback is his average footspeed and, given how physically developed he is, scouts have some concerns about whether this is as quick as he’ll ever be. Even without great quickness Poulin has so much offensive talent that he’ll be able to be a good NHL player.

to

Tier: Projected to play NHL games
Skating: Below-average
Puck Skills: Average
Hockey Sense: Average
Compete: Average
Shot: Above-average
Poulin was an important player for a top QMJHL team this season in Val-d’Or, although his point production wasn’t massive. The talent is obvious when you watch Poulin play. He has very good puck skills, and can put pucks through legs and sticks with control. He sees the ice at a high level, often pulling up well to find seams and make plays to the high percentage areas to create chances. He also has a good mid-range shot and can score goals. Poulin’s footspeed has always been his main drawback, and with his game lacking NHL pace, I see him more likely as a bottom-six NHL forward than top-six.

Is that statistically based or more just on his overall game not being fully dominant as a 1st rounder in his final junior season? The Q and VDO should’ve gotten a lot of views given it was one of the few NA places going.

Reactions: Freeptop and Peat

Rakell67

Sep 28, 2017
PA

Haters gonna Hate!

SEALBound

Fancy Gina Carano
Sponsor
Jun 13, 2010

I like that Gordie Howe elbow to the chops of that guy prior to open up space. Moar.

This really shouldn't surprise anyone. But of course, leave it to RW to bitch, lolz.

JR did what he needed to do and was directed to do. This team was going to fall off a cliff after Sid and Geno go. That's inevitable no amount of prospects taken 20+ in the last 5-6 years would prevent that. JR looked to make the team win and they did. Every season was geared toward that because he and the ownership knew that this was their best chance. People complaining about the prospect pool now...morons. And I'm sure the fact that we've been a perennial contender for 13 years is lost on those people.

This year and next. Go for it. I think our last swing for the fence should be next year. You hope that you can get Geno and Letang to come back at a discount and hopefully you can squeeze in one more high-end player to help with depth. After that...ride off into the sunset and do your best.

Reactions: Freeptop

HandshakeLine

A real jerk thing
Nov 9, 2005
Praha, CZ
It feels weird to criticize POJ as at worst a 3rd pairing guy, when getting any prospect to a near-guaranteed NHL role is frankly huge.

Also, when was POJ's skating average? Like average in the NHL or average compared to Letang and Matheson? I am very confused.

Reactions: SEALBound

Gurglesons

Dec 18, 2009
San Diego, CA
It feels weird to criticize POJ as at worst a 3rd pairing guy, when getting any prospect to a near-guaranteed NHL role is frankly huge.

Also, when was POJ's skating average? Like average in the NHL or average compared to Letang and Matheson? I am very confused.

You have to look at these ratings in comparison to other prospect pools. Having a guy that is not a sure fire top pair D versus having players like Byram or Ty Smith makes it easy to understand why POJ is evaluated like he is.

HandshakeLine

A real jerk thing
Nov 9, 2005
Praha, CZ
You have to look at these ratings in comparison to other prospect pools. Having a guy that is not a sure fire top pair D versus having players like Byram or Ty Smith makes it easy to understand why POJ is evaluated like he is.

I mean, sure, but there's lots of sure-fire Top D guys that never ever even make it to 3rd pairing or are terrible when they're used above there. Ceci, for example. Or Morrow. Or Pouliot. Or.... shudder... JMFJ.

But again, why does POJ only have average skating and puck moving?

Gurglesons

Dec 18, 2009
San Diego, CA
I mean, sure, but there's lots of sure-fire Top D guys that never ever even make it to 3rd pairing or are terrible when they're used above there. Ceci, for example. Or Morrow. Or Pouliot. Or.... shudder... JMFJ.

But again, why does POJ only have average skating and puck moving?

Because that’s what his larger sample size shows versus him having 5 good NHL games?

Gurglesons

Dec 18, 2009
San Diego, CA
I'm sorry, how does his sample size show average skating, for example? Or are we talking about his ceiling?

You’d have to talk to Pronman about that.

Do you disagree with this assessment though? Because this is what he said..

“I see a third-pair defenseman in the NHL, but if he popped and became a top-four guy, it wouldn’t shock me.”

Isn’t that where we all are at?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad