Pittsburgh Penguins Prospects Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

Peat

Jun 14, 2016
Yeah, there’s a few being called high upside prospects who weren’t as well. Simon, Wilson and Kuhnhackl exist in a weird plane when you compare them. I think Simon is a better player, but the other two contributed to cup wins. Between Kuhnhackl on the PK and Wilson with Malkin for a decent amount of time, they did contribute to the ultimate prize. Others contributed more but they were part something tangible and that’s more than Simon can say. Simon’s production hasn’t really left them in the dust either despite so much time with Crosby. He is however an NHL regular now when it looks like they aren’t. God he’s a frustrating player even in this.

Archibald played 5 minutes in a game in the finals and got a ring. It’s like Porter eking one out with his 41 games before he mercifully got hurt and Sullivan couldn’t play him any more. Good for him and technically right but it’s not the best marker of success. You’d ruin any simplicity if you add too many distinctions, though.

I think my answer here is that talking about who won Cups is a distinction too many in itself. Better to have generational, star, impact NHLer, NHLer, AHLer. Simon, Wilson, Kuhnhackl, Archibald all belong in roughly the same bucket in terms of what they do in the NHL so far and I think talking about Cups complicates it.

steelcityassault

Sep 17, 2008
Pittsburgh, PA
I think my answer here is that talking about who won Cups is a distinction too many in itself. Better to have generational, star, impact NHLer, NHLer, AHLer. Simon, Wilson, Kuhnhackl, Archibald all belong in roughly the same bucket in terms of what they do in the NHL so far and I think talking about Cups complicates it.
Yea there's no exact way to quantify it. What are you drafting guys for to win the Cup right? So if they have any impact whatsoever in doing so does that count more than a guy that scored 50 points once and then sailed off into the distance or had good advanced stats? It's all opinion but even on Pouliot and Bennett I said I lowered them because they literally had no contribution besides playing a game or two in playoffs. Archibald is at least an NHL regular at this point

Speaking Moistly

What a terrible image.
Feb 19, 2013
Injured Reserve

Maybe. I could go either way on winning a cup if they played a role in it because the Pens were held back by not having cheap, internal contributors for years.

It can be broken down a lot of ways.

Reactions: SHOOTANDSCORE

Jacob

as seen on TV
Feb 27, 2002
Numbers aren’t impressive considering age and competition. Guessing they’re intrigued by his size and maybe that he’s more built for North America than Europe.

Reactions: Andy99

WayneSid9987

Nov 24, 2009
That is a large human. Speaking on Pav's, this last season was his last NCAA season yea? He either signs with us or someone else Aug.15th yea?

Peat

Jun 14, 2016
That is a large human. Speaking on Pav's, this last season was his last NCAA season yea? He either signs with us or someone else Aug.15th yea?

Affirmative. Mildly curious to see what happens. I think quite a few college players might run down the clock to August 15 if there's no games for them to play in. Reilly took longer than we wanted him to, so maybe its just everything taking longer, or... well, who knows?

Reactions: WayneSid9987

Jacob

as seen on TV
Feb 27, 2002
Zohorna’s tape job makes me sick

brno-sport-hokej-extraliga-grfg-arena-extraliga-hc-kometda-brno-radim-zohorna-bila-mountfield-hk_denik-630-16x9-1.jpg

Peat

Jun 14, 2016
Yea there's no exact way to quantify it. What are you drafting guys for to win the Cup right? So if they have any impact whatsoever in doing so does that count more than a guy that scored 50 points once and then sailed off into the distance or had good advanced stats? It's all opinion but even on Pouliot and Bennett I said I lowered them because they literally had no contribution besides playing a game or two in playoffs. Archibald is at least an NHL regular at this point

Maybe. I could go either way on winning a cup if they played a role in it because the Pens were held back by not having cheap, internal contributors for years.

It can be broken down a lot of ways.

How much more contribution over the next guy up did they have though? Would we have lost 15-16 for having Sundqvist getting time instead of Kuhnhackl, or 16-17 for no Wilson and more Rowney? I doubt it. If they came back, would you think "sweet, another SC contributing player" or "meh, another tweener, why not"? I'm guessing the latter. Sure the goal is the SC, but so many factors go into achieving it that just being there doesn't necessarily mean much. To me, it's like paying homage to the glass of water you had before going to the interview where you got a new job. Sure, you had to drink something, but the water isn't why you got the job.

I think the best way to break it down again is "If the Pens had a pick, and you could ensure the player turned out to be one of X, Y or Z, which one would you pick?" I don't think there's many cases out of the guys who made the NHL where the winner is one of Wilson or Kuhnhackl.

WayneSid9987

Nov 24, 2009
Pavs played for a great program and was thier go to shut down Center. I certainly wouldn't immediately write him off and i do hope they get him for Wilkes to see what he's got.
These gangly very large guys you always worry about thier ability to keep up but i want to see what he has as a pro.
Really anyone who does well in the NCAA Div 1, i'd want to have a look at. It's probably my favorite feeder league atm.

Reactions: Honour Over Glory
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad