Pittsburgh Penguins Prospects Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

SHOOTANDSCORE

Eeny Meeny Miny Moe
Sep 25, 2005
Who cares, there’s a pandemic.
Yeah, I'm well aware. :eyeroll:

Obviously I care. I wrote it. I'm also able to simultaneously discuss lesser things and put them in perspective. Are we allowed to talk hockey without without the discussion police reminding us to discard all thought of the future? Is anything worthy of discussion or should we just constantly obsess over the terrible circumstances that we're in?

I'm going to continue discussing hockey and if anyone is offended by this, I'd recommend using the ignore feature.

And on that note, I've seen the idea floated that if playoffs are cancelled some teams get compensatory picks for assets lost in deals for playoff rentals. I'd welcome that but I find it very unlikely.

Reactions: dogthateats

Honour Over Glory

Fire Sully
Jan 30, 2012
Noice! I was getting nervous.
I was lowkey getting worried too mate, but he would have been crazy to sign elsewhere. That RD is weak for competition on the 3rd pair, if he uses the time he has right now to just work on his conditioning and get the size to be ready for camp, I think he could develop into a solid 3rd RD option maybe in a couple of years or sooner.

Reactions: SHOOTANDSCORE

steelcityassault

Sep 17, 2008
Pittsburgh, PA
With not much going on and quarantined, I was super bored and went back to check out the HF rankings from 2004 up until now.

Color coded them by how they turned out or contributed and based off of where they were drafted/expected potential. I'm sure there are mistakes/disagreements in there so let's discuss. I know Pouliot and Bennett won the Cup but them busting pretty hard brought them down a level, etc. Some of those labels hurt a little - Tangradi obviously - and my long time avatar here Bortuzzo moving on - but some felt good to - specifically Connor Hall.

Pretty cool to look back at the data now and see the progression with the Cups in 09 and then the back-to-back as well for 16 - 17. Let's get some feedback and discussion going!

upload_2020-4-24_15-9-29.png

upload_2020-4-24_15-10-23.png

upload_2020-4-24_15-12-14.png

upload_2020-4-24_15-13-47.png

upload_2020-4-24_15-16-13.png

upload_2020-4-24_15-16-40.png

upload_2020-4-24_15-17-4.png

Peat

Jun 14, 2016
Kudos on a massive amount of work. Straight off the bat my only comment is a) Our prospect pool really took off 2012/13 and b) Calling Despres a bust is way harsh.

Reactions: steelcityassault

Speaking Moistly

What a terrible image.
Feb 19, 2013
Injured Reserve
Kudos on a massive amount of work. Straight off the bat my only comment is a) Our prospect pool really took off 2012/13 and b) Calling Despres a bust is way harsh.

Yeah, you almost need an injuries signifier. And I don’t think Lauzon was a high potential prospect, Angello isn’t a regular and calling Simon below average is at least controversial. Anyway, it’s a really cool idea.

Reactions: steelcityassault

Peat

Jun 14, 2016
Yeah, you almost need an injuries signifier. And I don’t think Lauzon was a high potential prospect, Angello isn’t a regular and calling Simon below average is at least controversial. Anyway, it’s a really cool idea.

Agreed on all three counts. And sure, there for cups, but regarding Kuhnhackl and Wilson as bigger successes than Simon is just a nope. They flat out did not contribute more to the Pens; they were simply fortunate to be here when others contributed more than they've done with Simon here.

And does Archibald even have a ring?

Beauner

Jun 14, 2011
Pittsburgh
Agreed on all three counts. And sure, there for cups, but regarding Kuhnhackl and Wilson as bigger successes than Simon is just a nope. They flat out did not contribute more to the Pens; they were simply fortunate to be here when others contributed more than they've done with Simon here.

Archibald played a game in the 17 finals

Speaking Moistly

What a terrible image.
Feb 19, 2013
Injured Reserve

Yeah, there’s a few being called high upside prospects who weren’t as well. Simon, Wilson and Kuhnhackl exist in a weird plane when you compare them. I think Simon is a better player, but the other two contributed to cup wins. Between Kuhnhackl on the PK and Wilson with Malkin for a decent amount of time, they did contribute to the ultimate prize. Others contributed more but they were part something tangible and that’s more than Simon can say. Simon’s production hasn’t really left them in the dust either despite so much time with Crosby. He is however an NHL regular now when it looks like they aren’t. God he’s a frustrating player even in this.

Archibald played 5 minutes in a game in the finals and got a ring. It’s like Porter eking one out with his 41 games before he mercifully got hurt and Sullivan couldn’t play him any more. Good for him and technically right but it’s not the best marker of success. You’d ruin any simplicity if you add too many distinctions, though.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad