Pittsburgh Penguins Prospects Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

Sidney the Kidney

One last time
Jun 29, 2009
As nice as Poulin's point totals look, the Phoenix being an absolute juggernaut kind of skews things a bit.

Like, they won 9-4 today without Poulin even in the line-up. They handle business.

It's a bit of a double edged sword.

On one hand, you have to be a little bit cautious about his point totals when playing for a dominant team. Especially in junior, the gap between "good" and "bad" teams is quite large and playing on a good team can definitely boost one's totals.

On the other hand, at least he's showing he's one of the key guys and point producers on a strong team and isn't just putting up "decent" numbers as a depth guy surrounded by a bunch of talent.

As long as he's one of the key guys on a dominant team, that's good news. I'd be more skeptical of his point totals if he was putting up good numbers but was something like 6th or 7th in team scoring.

WayneSid9987

Nov 24, 2009
You can say that but you watch the highlights and he's making great plays/wicked dishes and burying his chances. Sees the ice extremely well and has very good charachter. Captain of a great team.
He's a very good player who probably ends up in the Brandon Saad mold when all is said and done.

chethejet

Feb 4, 2012
Hopefully Pens have a couple big time forwards on the horizon. Is GMJR still pissed they drafted forwards taller than him.

Speaking Moistly

What a terrible image.
Feb 19, 2013
Injured Reserve
Some of the college guys are done their regular seasons.

Reilly: 34GP, 8G (4th on the team), 14A (3rd on the team), 22P (2nd on the team by 1P), +14 (1st on the team by +6). 4PPG, 1ENG, 3ESG, 13ESP, 0.65ppg, 0.38esppg. 86 shots most on the team by 1, 9.3Sh%

Pavlychev: 27GP, 7G, 7A, 14P, -3, missed 7 games due to injury

Phillips: 27GP, 2G, 7A, 9P, -2, missed 7 games due to injury. Once again started strong with 8P in his first 11GP and then 1P in the next 16GP. 4 of his 9 points were on the PP.

Jones, Gorman and Caulfield have 2 games left.

Gumbercules

Oct 11, 2007
Some of the college guys are done their regular seasons.

Reilly: 34GP, 8G (4th on the team), 14A (3rd on the team), 22P (2nd on the team by 1P), +14 (1st on the team by +6). 4PPG, 1ENG, 3ESG, 13ESP, 0.65ppg, 0.38esppg. 86 shots most on the team by 1, 9.3Sh%

Pavlychev: 27GP, 7G, 7A, 14P, -3, missed 7 games due to injury

Phillips: 27GP, 2G, 7A, 9P, -2, missed 7 games due to injury. Once again started strong with 8P in his first 11GP and then 1P in the next 16GP. 4 of his 9 points were on the PP.

Jones, Gorman and Caulfield have 2 games left.

Caulfield (ND) and Pavlychev/Phillips (Penn St) are the only ones that are likely to get into the final tournament. ND is pretty much locked in, even if they lose their remaining games. Penn St. can still slip out if they lose in the first round of the playoffs, and a few teams behind them have nice runs.

The rest will need to win their respective conference playoffs to get in.

CheckingLineCenter

Aug 10, 2018
Getting to be about that time. Wonder if Puustinen, Hallander are put on ATOs once their seasons end. Not too sure about the collegiate guys?

Have to think both Poulin and Legare are locks to join WBS when they're done (or I guess if he's done in Poulin's case).

Will be interesting to see who comes in on ATOs from the undrafted pool, and if we can get any of the bigger UDFAs.

Peat

Jun 14, 2016
Getting to be about that time. Wonder if Puustinen, Hallander are put on ATOs once their seasons end. Not too sure about the collegiate guys?

Have to think both Poulin and Legare are locks to join WBS when they're done (or I guess if he's done in Poulin's case).

Will be interesting to see who comes in on ATOs from the undrafted pool, and if we can get any of the bigger UDFAs.

Stating the obvious but Reilly, Pavs and Jones are all done with NCAA at the end of this season regardless, so if they're not getting ATOs that's bad news; and Phillips, Caulfield and Gorman all have time left and need it, so it'd be a surprise. I'd expect Puustinen and Hallander to get them as Euro prospects can get them and still go back to Europe the next year; I'd be curious about Palojarvi and Airola as they seem more up in the air, particularly Airola.

The undrafted agents seems the real interesting part though. Got a big hole for a RD; I'd argue the path for a C is almost as easy as there's a big hole in WBS there. Looking at the development camp roster, only Cam Lee, Brandon Biro and Jared Spooner seem likely adds.

Dipsy Doodle

Rent A Barn
May 28, 2006
Stating the obvious but Reilly, Pavs and Jones are all done with NCAA at the end of this season regardless, so if they're not getting ATOs that's bad news; and Phillips, Caulfield and Gorman all have time left and need it, so it'd be a surprise. I'd expect Puustinen and Hallander to get them as Euro prospects can get them and still go back to Europe the next year; I'd be curious about Palojarvi and Airola as they seem more up in the air, particularly Airola.

The undrafted agents seems the real interesting part though. Got a big hole for a RD; I'd argue the path for a C is almost as easy as there's a big hole in WBS there. Looking at the development camp roster, only Cam Lee, Brandon Biro and Jared Spooner seem likely adds.

Maniscalco seems like a natural fit they should really be pushing hard for.

Honour Over Glory

Fire Sully
Jan 30, 2012
William Reilly has two assists already and there's still 20 minutes to play.
Finally, more on the Will Reilly train, I really hope the Pens don't let this kid sign elsewhere, I think he's our Marino next year, so much to like about his game. He's a strong skater, good offensive IQ with the puck, is good at both ends of the ice, decent size...

I would love to see him sign and join WBS asap before the year is out if his team is done.

Honour Over Glory

Fire Sully
Jan 30, 2012
Yes and I bet Mario has seen a lot of him (with Austin being on the same team). Mario and JR should do everything they can to get him signed.
How is their program though? Is that RD doing well on a poor team? Clearly Mario's talent ended with him judging by how his kids are doing with the sport.

Because I look at Sanchez, very mediocre nobody in University of Michigan in the Big 10 and he goes there and leads the team, seems like a guy that couldn't hack it in the NHL that is a stud in the ECHL.

Speaking Moistly

What a terrible image.
Feb 19, 2013
Injured Reserve
Maniscalco seems like a natural fit they should really be pushing hard for.

Yeah, I’d happily take him. Time for Austin to contribute to the family business and talk the Pens up.

It’s a bit old but if you’re looking at D.
On Campus: College free agents garnering attention

Jack Ahcan, hereby referred to as Chaka Kahn, played with Lizotte who is in WBS. Currently has 24 in 31.
Zach Giuttari, played with Lafferty at Brown. Currently 14 in 29.
Connor Mackey, father played in the NHL but no easy to spot Pens connection. Currently has 23 in 34.
Colton Poolman, playing with Caulfield. Currently has 15 in 29.

3 players you’d expect the Pens to have been exposed to a bit while looking at their guys.

Randy Butternubs

Mar 15, 2008
Morningside
Finally, more on the Will Reilly train, I really hope the Pens don't let this kid sign elsewhere, I think he's our Marino next year, so much to like about his game. He's a strong skater, good offensive IQ with the puck, is good at both ends of the ice, decent size...

I would love to see him sign and join WBS asap before the year is out if his team is done.

I doubt anyone is "our Marino next year" and he isn't nearly as good a skater, but he'd be a heck of a signing for the organization.

FreeBobbyFarnham

Jun 16, 2015
Montreal
How is their program though? Is that RD doing well on a poor team? Clearly Mario's talent ended with him judging by how his kids are doing with the sport.

Because I look at Sanchez, very mediocre nobody in University of Michigan in the Big 10 and he goes there and leads the team, seems like a guy that couldn't hack it in the NHL that is a stud in the ECHL.
Sanchez is a weird case because his stats were unimpressive for a long time, until last year when he started producing in the USHL. Maybe he's a late bloomer...

As for ASU, they used to be mediocre... until the arrival of Joshua Maniscalco (and Austin, but I doubt he's the difference maker). They have a 43-24-4 record since he joined the team. It's a big turnaround from the 23-62-10 record they had in the previous 3 years.

CheckingLineCenter

Aug 10, 2018
Don't see Maniscalco leaving tbh. Arizona State for the AHL or ECHL? Then again he's listed in article I linked below.

Yeah, I’d happily take him. Time for Austin to contribute to the family business and talk the Pens up.

It’s a bit old but if you’re looking at D.
On Campus: College free agents garnering attention

Jack Ahcan, hereby referred to as Chaka Kahn, played with Lizotte who is in WBS. Currently has 24 in 31.
Zach Giuttari, played with Lafferty at Brown. Currently 14 in 29.
Connor Mackey, father played in the NHL but no easy to spot Pens connection. Currently has 23 in 34.
Colton Poolman, playing with Caulfield. Currently has 15 in 29.

3 players you’d expect the Pens to have been exposed to a bit while looking at their guys.

This is newer. Chaffee and Mackey were top dogs coming into the season and it's stayed that way.

On Campus: Chaffee, Mackey among top NCAA free agents

Further notes: Ahcan's little brother (who we should be on whenever he leaves Wisco) was at our dev camp. So they've gotta be aware of him on top of him being teammates w/ Lizotte. I think, and I could be wrong, but Poolman may have gotten offers to leave last year.

Reactions: vabm8

Honour Over Glory

Fire Sully
Jan 30, 2012
I hope JR is looking at bringing some of these college kids in, it's the only way to continue to churn out more NHL ready guys, even with other prospects that are drafted and in the system that won't be ready for 2-3yrs down the line, some of the College kids are closer sometimes and the allure of being had for nothing but cap space and a contract spot.

I never hold much weight in who came to the development camp, most of these guys make their rounds, I remember when Sustr was a guy we all thought would sign with the Pens, then he signed with Tampa.

Reactions: Soggy Biscuit

CheckingLineCenter

Aug 10, 2018
Re: dev camp... forgot Chaffee was at ours in 2018. They'll have a good feel on his game.

Pittsburgh has gone back to development camp attendees @Honour Over Glory. Doesn't mean they're locks but they've especially done it over the past two years as the camp as been flooded with more and more of the undrafted nor signed attendees (b/c of the Pen's incredible lack of drafted prospects). Even if some guys are AHL only deals.

Honour Over Glory

Fire Sully
Jan 30, 2012
Re: dev camp... forgot Chaffee was at ours in 2018. They'll have a good feel on his game.

Pittsburgh has gone back to development camp attendees @Honour Over Glory. Doesn't mean they're locks but they've especially done it over the past two years as the camp as been flooded with more and more of the undrafted nor signed attendees (b/c of the Pen's incredible lack of drafted prospects). Even if some guys are AHL only deals.
Hey I want to be hopeful, I am hopeful.

SIGN ALL OF THEM, JR.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad