Pittsburgh Penguins Prospects Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

chethejet

Feb 4, 2012
Pens will have to continue the rebuild of the farm from the draft picks traded away to win now. Legare, Poulin, are legit NHL top 6 players if they can develop and mature with needed seasoning. Add in Hallinder, Addison, POJ and at least they have a decent prospect pool. It will take two years of smart drafting and adding alternative talent to keep the team in the mix. If one assumes Crosby and Malkin are good for 5 more years of really good play, then these guys mentioned can be helpful and replace Horny, JJ if kept and expendable guys like Simon, Zar and Ruhwedel.

WayneSid9987

Nov 24, 2009
CAN/SUI pre-tourney game about to start.
I'll update my post here once i see Addison is in or not.
On TSN1 and 3.

ETA: Looks like he's in #3 playing with Byram.
Addison QB'ing PP1.

Last edited:

WayneSid9987

Nov 24, 2009
Drysdale and Addison have probably been their best D-Men today. Them and Smith.
Addison's looked good and Ferraro said as much.

Sidenote. Don't understand not taking a dynamic player like Newhook.
TC never liked the kid for some reason tho.

ETA: Ferraro is talking about him now(Calen).
Said he's most impressed by him on D today.

Last edited:

Peat

Jun 14, 2016

His season isn't as encouraging as I might have hoped for but the fact that he's sticking in the WBS line up in a defensive role is something to hold to at least. He wouldn't be the first guy to spend his first season in WBS playing defence and not contributing much, then move on from there and show off the offence in his game. When you come down to it, in terms of making it in the big show, unless he shows he can blow off the doors offensively, having the defensive game will be necessary. Maybe best to do it first.

Darren McCord

Dec 15, 2015
His season isn't as encouraging as I might have hoped for but the fact that he's sticking in the WBS line up in a defensive role is something to hold to at least. He wouldn't be the first guy to spend his first season in WBS playing defence and not contributing much, then move on from there and show off the offence in his game. When you come down to it, in terms of making it in the big show, unless he shows he can blow off the doors offensively, having the defensive game will be necessary. Maybe best to do it first.

Kunhackl spent a long time down there and came up to play a good role when we needed him. Obviously I hope Jordy pans out better but changing you game to be more 200ft to make it to the big show isn't a bad thing. A fast grindr in the bottom six like a kunitz lite would be way better then whatever Zar is.

Peat

Jun 14, 2016
Kunhackl spent a long time down there and came up to play a good role when we needed him. Obviously I hope Jordy pans out better but changing you game to be more 200ft to make it to the big show isn't a bad thing. A fast grindr in the bottom six like a kunitz lite would be way better then whatever Zar is.

f***ing hell, why does everything have to end with a whinge about ZAR? Shouldn't take it out on you but it's a bit shit to find people having a moan about him every other page in every thread, even the ones that have nothing to do with him.

Reactions: CheckingLineCenter

Darren McCord

Dec 15, 2015
****ing hell, why does everything have to end with a whinge about ZAR? Shouldn't take it out on you but it's a bit **** to find people having a moan about him every other page in every thread, even the ones that have nothing to do with him.

I was trying to harp on him alone. I just think having a more aggressive guy like tanev or young kunitz would be awesome in the bottom six over Zar, Simon, Blandhis,

Reactions: OGBobbyFarnham

JimmyTwoTimes

Apr 13, 2010
Of course, we could get a lesser player, but why would we do that?

This class does look deep. If we do end up trading one of Schultz/AG/Bjugstad for futures then I'd take my chances on us taking two guys in the first over trading up, unless that is for Quinton Byfield who will go 1st or 2nd overall. Our best shot at getting that high of a pick is thru Murray and our first. But Im guessing the Wings, Devils, and Sens would have to be those teams. All needing goalies.

Its still a sensitive topic here but if all goes well with Jarry and he ends up keeping this going throughout the rest of the year and into the playoffs then this would be our best chance to move Murray for maybe not Lafrienere but Byfield. Quinton with a very high ceiling but still a risk , with Lafrienere likely being a sure thing. Our best bet would be for the Sens to get 2nd pick since they have 2 picks(Sharks) that could be lottery. They know how risky goaltending prospects are with us trading them Gus and him doing nothing. Other top prospect in Marcus Hogberg the same. Both struggling in AHL. They saw Murray first hand beat them in the ECF. We do need him to start playing much better tho to sbow this was just natural ups and downs of a young goalie. Especially one who started off that successful. If Wings get 2nd they could trade for him as well. Would be nice to send him out West but the Ducks, Kings have goalies. Sharks pick goes to the Sens. Its basically the Sens, Wings, and Devils. Lets say another team gets 1st overall and those 3 get 2nd- 5th(Sens getting Sharks pick). Dont be shocked to see it happen.

If we want to really extend our window and increase our odds at winning as Sid/Geno age then a player like Byfield is what we need. And we have the assets to acquire. The 6'4 Center would take over 3C like Staal did. Taking us back to the beginning of this era. McCann moves to LW1 or 2. Depending on where Guentzel goes next season, I say he stays with Geno this year but moved back next year unless they go on such a tear that they dont want to break it up. But thats asking a lot since Sid/Jake put up 21 pts each in 12 games without having Rust at this level during 2018 playoffs.

Guentzel - Crosby - Poulin
McCann - Malkin - Rust
Kahun - Byfield - Legare
Bjorkvist - Hallander - Tanev

That also helps towards the expansion draft. With 7 under contract and the other 5 being exempt.

Thats what our lineup could look like by 2021 if we do get him. Thats not factoring in the returns from AG, Schultz, and Bjusgtad. And whatever we get from trading Hornqvist, which could happen after 2020 season depending on how our prospects are looking. And doesnt mean all of those guys are locked in all season...we could have others like Angello, Bellerive, Almeida, Drozg, etc who panned out. And in and out of the lineup. One great thing about that many players panning out is the money we would be saving in cap. We could use that on adding a top tier dman like Dougie Hamilton after the 2020 season or think bigger and go after Alex Pietrangelo this offseason. Knowing we could afford to pay him what it would take to land him. Having him for a few years before Letang is due a new contract...to go with our offense would put us over the top for sure.

Dumo - Letang
Marino - Pietrangelo
Pettersson - POJ/Addison

Eventually replacing Letang if Addison reaches potential.. Pietrangelo being the all around dman he is...I can see playing til late 30s. Like Chara has. But idk about Letang. And his injury history along with his mental lapses on D. If Addison pans out we dont "neeed" to re-up Letang

That D to go with the Offense would win a few more cups in a row.

Thats alot to spend on 30 year old AP, but if we want to better our odds for this era then its something you dont think twice about. Not if we do have 4 or 5 forwards who are on rookie deals- Or still RFAs.

There's a reason I keep harping on making the right decisions this year. It could be the diff from winning no more cups to a few more.

Last edited:

WayneSid9987

Nov 24, 2009
They play one more pre-tourney on the 23rd. Probably mid-day/afternoon time vs Finland.
Addison was very fun to watch vs the SUI.
Big ice suits him very well.
Him and Byram are a good pairing.
He could see his role expand a bit if the Decker's etc. struggle.

As for TC. They seemed to take a tad too many "heavy" players for the big ice for me. Best they can do is medaling but it'll be tough with this squad.

WayneSid9987

Nov 24, 2009
Missed Addison today but nothing glaringly bad from my readings.
Was on for 1 goal for 1 against today in a regulation win.
Caught a bit of the OT tho.
Got picked once that led to a FIN chance but actually looked like he knew what he was doing in OT vs some other guys like Bahl.

Last edited:

The Old Master

come and take it.
Sep 27, 2004
burgh

This class does look deep. If we do end up trading one of Schultz/AG/Bjugstad for futures then I'd take my chances on us taking two guys in the first over trading up, unless that is for Quinton Byfield who will go 1st or 2nd overall. Our best shot at getting that high of a pick is thru Murray and our first. But Im guessing the Wings, Devils, and Sens would have to be those teams. All needing goalies.

Its still a sensitive topic here but if all goes well with Jarry and he ends up keeping this going throughout the rest of the year and into the playoffs then this would be our best chance to move Murray for maybe not Lafrienere but Byfield. Quinton with a very high ceiling but still a risk , with Lafrienere likely being a sure thing. Our best bet would be for the Sens to get 2nd pick since they have 2 picks(Sharks) that could be lottery. They know how risky goaltending prospects are with us trading them Gus and him doing nothing. Other top prospect in Marcus Hogberg the same. Both struggling in AHL. They saw Murray first hand beat them in the ECF. We do need him to start playing much better tho to sbow this was just natural ups and downs of a young goalie. Especially one who started off that successful. If Wings get 2nd they could trade for him as well. Would be nice to send him out West but the Ducks, Kings have goalies. Sharks pick goes to the Sens. Its basically the Sens, Wings, and Devils. Lets say another team gets 1st overall and those 3 get 2nd- 5th(Sens getting Sharks pick). Dont be shocked to see it happen.

If we want to really extend our window and increase our odds at winning as Sid/Geno age then a player like Byfield is what we need. And we have the assets to acquire. The 6'4 Center would take over 3C like Staal did. Taking us back to the beginning of this era. McCann moves to LW1 or 2. Depending on where Guentzel goes next season, I say he stays with Geno this year but moved back next year unless they go on such a tear that they dont want to break it up. But thats asking a lot since Sid/Jake put up 21 pts each in 12 games without having Rust at this level during 2018 playoffs.

Guentzel - Crosby - Poulin
McCann - Malkin - Rust
Kahun - Byfield - Legare
Bjorkvist - Hallander - Tanev

That also helps towards the expansion draft. With 7 under contract and the other 5 being exempt.

Thats what our lineup could look like by 2021 if we do get him. Thats not factoring in the returns from AG, Schultz, and Bjusgtad. And whatever we get from trading Hornqvist, which could happen after 2020 season depending on how our prospects are looking. And doesnt mean all of those guys are locked in all season...we could have others like Angello, Bellerive, Almeida, Drozg, etc who panned out. And in and out of the lineup. One great thing about that many players panning out is the money we would be saving in cap. We could use that on adding a top tier dman like Dougie Hamilton after the 2020 season or think bigger and go after Alex Pietrangelo this offseason. Knowing we could afford to pay him what it would take to land him. Having him for a few years before Letang is due a new contract...to go with our offense would put us over the top for sure.

Dumo - Letang
Marino - Pietrangelo
Pettersson - POJ/Addison

Eventually replacing Letang if Addison reaches potential.. Pietrangelo being the all around dman he is...I can see playing til late 30s. Like Chara has. But idk about Letang. And his injury history along with his mental lapses on D. If Addison pans out we dont "neeed" to re-up Letang

That D to go with the Offense would win a few more cups in a row.

Thats alot to spend on 30 year old AP, but if we want to better our odds for this era then its something you dont think twice about. Not if we do have 4 or 5 forwards who are on rookie deals- Or still RFAs.

There's a reason I keep harping on making the right decisions this year. It could be the diff from winning no more cups to a few more.
love the way you think.:nod:

Jacob

as seen on TV
Feb 27, 2002
The WJC replays they're showing on NHL Network are nice reminders that these tournaments don't actually really mean a whole lot. Some of these kids are out of hockey altogether 6 years later, and then players like Rust, Guentzel & Marino don't even make the team.

I think it's a nice showcase that'll boost a player's value around the league though.

Speaking Moistly

What a terrible image.
Feb 19, 2013
Injured Reserve
The WJC replays they're showing on NHL Network are nice reminders that these tournaments don't actually really mean a whole lot. Some of these kids are out of hockey altogether 6 years later, and then players like Rust, Guentzel & Marino don't even make the team.

I think it's a nice showcase that'll boost a player's value around the league though.

I doubt any of them would have made the team on merit when they were under 20. Marino is a late bloomer who flew under everyone’s radar until he came in NHL ready at 22, Guentzel probably looked 10 and didn’t put up gaudy college numbers, and Rust looked like a speedy 4th liner who might hit the 3rd line one day after his first NHL games. All they are is the best players under 20 on their radar, and development isn’t uniform. It’s just like some 3rd rounders being better players than some 1st rounders.

What’s always funny and kind of sad are the ones who do great in those tournaments and then don’t do much in the NHL. So much hype.

Jacob

as seen on TV
Feb 27, 2002
I guess Rust's omission is understandable because he had a bad sophomore year but Marino had a good freshman year for a program that is in the spotlight.. same for Guentzel.

Defensemen selected instead of Marino include Jack Ahcan and Joseph Cecconi. Some forwards selected over Guentzel are Danny O'Regan, Quentin Shore, Zachary Stepan and even Thomas DiPauli. All NCAA players and Guentzel had more points than every single one.

Dipsy Doodle

Rent A Barn
May 28, 2006
I guess Rust's omission is understandable because he had a bad sophomore year but Marino had a good freshman year for a program that is in the spotlight.. same for Guentzel.

Defensemen selected instead of Marino include Jack Ahcan and Joseph Cecconi. Some forwards selected over Guentzel are Danny O'Regan, Quentin Shore, Zachary Stepan and even Thomas DiPauli. All NCAA players and Guentzel had more points than every single one.

Might be wrong, but I think Guentzel had a good shot at the WJC one year but missed his chance due to injury. Your larger point still stands either way.

Peat

Jun 14, 2016

Really hope someone in Jack Ahcan's family is called Jeremy or Jeremiah. Jez Ahcan. That's a true go getter's name.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad