Pittsburgh Penguins Prospects Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

Peat

Jun 14, 2016
Everything that lists his weight says 160. If he's 180-185, that is still lean, but he should be fine. I'm going by the info provided.

Hockey players, specifically ones with high metabolism have a hard time putting on weight because of the calories it takes for them to just sustain life being a hockey player. They don't (can't) eat enough to gain lean weight. Colby Armstrong was one of these guys. There was a video released in his rookie year, where he was eating something like 18,000 calories a day - literally going through McDonalds and ordering the menu, so he could get his calories. Still never put a pound on.

There was an Athletic article on him earlier this summer which mentioned he'd gained 7lbs already that summer and hoped to be 180 lbs when he reported to our training camp. I dunno if he reached that goal but the 160 info is definitely outdated.

Reactions: Soggy Biscuit

Dipsy Doodle

Rent A Barn
May 28, 2006
FWIW, POJ is listed as 185lbs on the NHL website.

Pierre-Olivier Joseph Stats and News

I f***ing hate trying to post gifs on my phone.
exploding-microwave-i-dream-of-jeannie-X1DWLQ1ui8M3C

jeannie-blink-idreamofjeannie-gif-7769980

Speaking Moistly

What a terrible image.
Feb 19, 2013
Injured Reserve
FWIW, POJ is listed as 185lbs on the NHL website.

Pierre-Olivier Joseph Stats and News

I think that’s very generous from now he looked compared to others, but the NHL listed heights and weights aren’t exactly reliable separate from him. Part of it is also a player’s ability to maintain their weight over the course of the season, and the mono factoring in for this season.

Jacob

as seen on TV
Feb 27, 2002
He’s probably 2 full AHL seasons away from even being in the conversation for a call-up so regardless of where he’s at he has time to add more lean muscle.

Reactions: td_ice

CrosbyMalkin

Aug 7, 2005
He’s probably 2 full AHL seasons away from even being in the conversation for a call-up so regardless of where he’s at he has time to add more lean muscle.

He looked pretty good to me. If not for the mono I thought he had a chance part way through this season to surpass JJ. He had a few positioning things to work on but his skill and skating are NHL ready. I think Addison is several years away but POJ and Marino looked pretty good in camp. POJ looked a lot like Pettersson.

CheckingLineCenter

Aug 10, 2018
He looked pretty good to me. If not for the mono I thought he had a chance part way through this season to surpass JJ. He had a few positioning things to work on but his skill and skating are NHL ready. I think Addison is several years away but POJ and Marino looked pretty good in camp. POJ looked a lot like Pettersson.

Yeah similar to Petts but I think there might be more puck moving upside going forward though, even if the actual offensive output never hits Petts level.

JimmyTwoTimes

Apr 13, 2010
Definitely not.

If we didn't have who we have. Marino allowed us to trade Gudbranson. Nobody expected that.

And Petts is 173 lbs btw. A whole 5 pounds heavier than POJ while being 2 inches taller. No clue why thats an issue with POJ. He plays same style D as Petts does.

He's not an Addison type who needs to keep developing if hes gonna be a legit PP QB. We can wait anyway, with Riikola here.

Not every player has to play 4 years in WBS tho . And If Almari keeps this up he may get his shot first. Adjusting well to NA. 6'1 168 lbs. Its not an issue for him.

Guentzel got pushed around non stop and it didnt faze him. Alot still remembering Sheary sliding across the ice every shift? Weight isn't an issue with every player. Have to see how they handle themselves playing in AHL/NHL. Unless we are aiming for that "Pushback" squad ...

JR trading Guds and playing Marino showed he wised up a bit with that.

Last edited:
Reactions: Tasty Biscuits

Peat

Jun 14, 2016
POJ's size is not the main reason to think he isn't ready for the NHL just yet. Its the fact that guys generally don't go straight from junior to the NHL and POJ's play during the summer didn't suggest he was one of them.

Reactions: Jacob

chethejet

Feb 4, 2012
POJ needs to play and continue the S&C program and see what he becomes in a couple of years. From what I saw he is a better skater and has better offensive skills that Petts. But he is at least two years away from being a regular in the NHL.

EVGENIMERLIN

Jun 29, 2009
Los Angeles, CA
Wasn't it Kevin Stevens who found Marino? I get JR had to go out and grab the guy, but give credit where it's actually due; Stevens is the guy who scouted and pushed for the Penguins to sign him, if I recall.
Stevens and another scout told JR that Marino was NHL ready right now and to go out and get him. Highway robbery of the Oilers.

POJ has some real upside as a smooth skating D man and had flashes in camp, but I suspect he is a year or 2 away.

WayneSid9987

Nov 24, 2009
That might garner him a little more attention for the WJC. Anyone watch that can report on how he did the rest of the game?

They're doing this Russian series differently now where the WJC coaching staff runs all the benches in all of the games.
I assume he'll be invited to camp but not sure if he'll make it or not.

Malkinstheman

Aug 12, 2012
Hallander out until the new year, POJ with Mono, Bjorqvist out for the season, Almari out with ?. Great year for our prospects.

Peat

Jun 14, 2016
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad