Pittsburgh Penguins Prospects Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

chethejet

Feb 4, 2012
Marino makes a big difference on the D as to need. His development allows the Pens to insure the younger D men develop as naturally as possible. On Poulin, he needs to continue to play and mature. A year in the Ahl would benefit him as well. Do not rush anyone here. Pens are not in a big need with few roster spots open next year. No question Poulin and Legare are future top 6 wingers and make sure they are ready for the rigors of the NHL. This year and next year in the AHL buys time for better competition, S&C, maturing and gaining experience.

Reactions: theicebox

JimmyTwoTimes

Apr 13, 2010
Drozg should be up to WBS again eventually, yeah?

Shame we missed out on signing Yegor Sokolov. Along with the rest of the league. We never did find that Russian winger for Geno.

Yegor Sokolov at eliteprospects.com

6'4 RW. Yeah 19 now but will be drafted this time. Could have been a free pickup like Bellerive

JimmyTwoTimes

Apr 13, 2010
I'm excited as Hell for Poulin and Legare. I know Poulin is crushing it, and I hope Legare follows suit.

Amazing what just 2 years of us keeping our picks did for our system isn't it? Imagine not giving up all those 1st rounders for that 5 year stretch. One was for Kessel so wont count that. But would have been nice to keep some of those. During years we likely werent going to go all the way anyway.

Past few drafts they reloaded the whole pool with intriguing prospects. Its not like they cant draft. We were even seeing it before with Murray, Guentzel, Rust, etc in rounds 2..3.

Dipsy Doodle

Rent A Barn
May 28, 2006

Drozg had 2+1 today. Drozg has 10 goals and 17 points in 14 games.

With how some of our more highly touted prospects have been producing in WBS, they could probably use an ECHL wake-up call while we give Drozg an opportunity.

Granted, this is sight unseen, but I expected a lot more in the box scores from Bellerive, Angello, and Almeida. Bjorkqvist is in that group too, but obviously he's not doing anything for the rest of the year.

Reactions: Malkinstheman

Speaking Moistly

What a terrible image.
Feb 19, 2013
Injured Reserve
He's too good for the ECHL and considering some of our prospects playing in AHL are currently struggling I'd call him up and send someone else down. Guys like Almeida and Bellerive who are still not up to pace could benefit from it.

Yeah, he’s looking too good for the ECHL and you’ve got to think it could help the confidence or adjustment of others. Almeida, Angello and Bellerive aren’t producing much, and Almeida has only played 7 games this season. If they all struggle to produce in Wheeling then it’s a different conversation.

Maybe there’s an attitude or all around game problem but I don’t see him gaining much from staying in Wheeling. It sounds like a repeat of juniors for him where he’ll lead the team in scoring but you’ll have a lot of questions about how good his performance really was.

Reactions: FreeBobbyFarnham

Malkinstheman

Aug 12, 2012
Id call up renārs krastenbergs as well and then send down Bellerive+Almeida. Krastenbergs is 21 and has also been playing pretty well. Plus you can never have enough latvians.

CheckingLineCenter

Aug 10, 2018

Drozg had 2+1 today. Drozg has 10 goals and 17 points in 14 games.

I think he was scoreless in his first 4 games or something like that too. Obv they only roll 3 lines in the Coast so numbers are high but nonetheless if Drozg keeps posting lines like that he’s gonna force his way up.

Yeah, he’s looking too good for the ECHL and you’ve got to think it could help the confidence or adjustment of others. Almeida, Angello and Bellerive aren’t producing much, and Almeida has only played 7 games this season. If they all struggle to produce in Wheeling then it’s a different conversation.

Maybe there’s an attitude or all around game problem but I don’t see him gaining much from staying in Wheeling. It sounds like a repeat of juniors for him where he’ll lead the team in scoring but you’ll have a lot of questions about how good his performance really was.

Almeida and Bellerive have no question been disappointing but the AHL is a tough league to score in for guys their age. Especially coming from the CHL.

It’d be nice if one could outplay expectations but realistically we have a lot of time for them to mature into possibly getting an NHL look. Not like they’re 23-24 y/o college signees.

Reactions: Jacob

Speaking Moistly

What a terrible image.
Feb 19, 2013
Injured Reserve
I think he was scoreless in his first 4 games or something like that too. Obv they only roll 3 lines in the Coast so numbers are high but nonetheless if Drozg keeps posting lines like that he’s gonna force his way up.

Almeida and Bellerive have no question been disappointing but the AHL is a tough league to score in for guys their age. Especially coming from the CHL.

It’d be nice if one could outplay expectations but realistically we have a lot of time for them to mature into possibly getting an NHL look. Not like they’re 23-24 y/o college signees.

It’s tough and the first full season for college players can be expected to be tougher than a taste they get late in the AHL season after signing. Right now I’d say they’re failing to meet expectations and they’re doing it pretty badly. They’re young so I’m not in full panic mode, but it’s not limited to them and it’s rough even coming out of juniors. Angello is 23 and in his second pro season, he has 3 points in 17 games after a productive rookie season. Bjorkvist who was the 22 year old college player had 1 point in 6 games. Bellerive has 3 points in 16 games and Miletic is producing but his ppg is down. I think how they finish the season will be more telling but right now, the echl might help them and they look like they need help. What I don’t like and find interesting is how many of the prospects are struggling to produce.

Almeida I know missed a few games recovering from his shoulder injury but he’s either been a HS or injured since. If he’s healthy and not getting playing time, send him to where he’ll at least play. If he’s not healthy, they should form a club for injured players.

CheckingLineCenter

Aug 10, 2018
It’s tough and the first full season for college players can be expected to be tougher than a taste they get late in the AHL season after signing. Right now I’d say they’re failing to meet expectations and they’re doing it pretty badly. They’re young so I’m not in full panic mode, but it’s not limited to them and it’s rough even coming out of juniors. Angello is 23 and in his second pro season, he has 3 points in 17 games after a productive rookie season. Bjorkvist who was the 22 year old college player had 1 point in 6 games. Bellerive has 3 points in 16 games and Miletic is producing but his ppg is down. I think how they finish the season will be more telling but right now, the echl might help them and they look like they need help. What I don’t like and find interesting is how many of the prospects are struggling to produce.

Almeida I know missed a few games recovering from his shoulder injury but he’s either been a HS or injured since. If he’s healthy and not getting playing time, send him to where he’ll at least play. If he’s not healthy, they should form a club for injured players.

I think Almeida should go down yeah.

Angelo is definitely the most disappointing. Bjorkqvist’s numbers don’t really concern me, but the injury stinks. Horrible to miss basically his whole first year of pro. Miletic is fine imo, probably just a fringe guy.

Just mean for the CHL grads that we have 2-3-4 years for them to mature in the AHL into something, especially in regards to a UDFA and two late picks. Not the end of the world for those guys to not produce right now.

Reactions: Tasty Biscuits

Speaking Moistly

What a terrible image.
Feb 19, 2013
Injured Reserve

Angelo is definitely the most disappointing. Bjorkqvist’s numbers don’t really concern me, but the injury stinks. Horrible to miss basically his whole first year of pro. Miletic is fine imo, probably just a fringe guy.

Just mean for the CHL grads that we have 2-3-4 years for them to mature in the AHL into something, especially in regards to a UDFA and two late picks. Not the end of the world for those guys to not produce right now.

Bjorkvist concerns me in the sense that I’ve never been high on him and he’s basically had two major injuries back to back. Him not producing much in the handful of games he had isn’t encouraging. The physical beast having these injuries so close together is the really worrying part. He’s losing development time he needs and you have to wonder if his body can hold up.

They have time and it’s not the end of the world, but it’s not good. I find how many of them are struggling interesting. The best of the younger guys has down but not terrible production and Almari was surprisingly productive before getting hurt. I really wouldn’t have expected that many of them to not produce.

JimmyTwoTimes

Apr 13, 2010
Bjorkvist losing a year isn't that concerning going forward. Since I dont think he needs to go the Blueger route anyway and play 3 years in AHL before getting called up. He will be 23 next year...play him half the season and if he is putting up great numbers call him up for 4th line if we need him.

Bjorkvist - Blueger - Tanev

Assuming both ZAR and Simon are traded like Im hoping.

The Greatest 101

Dec 10, 2013
Manchuria

What happened to Angello? I remember he was injured last season after a great start in AHL. So weird that he produces so less this season. POJ as well. However, they are still young. It took Garland two years to adjust to pro games. Coyote fans were calling him a bust after his first season in AHL.

The Old Master

come and take it.
Sep 27, 2004
burgh

in another post someone was saying that our defense men where not playing well. that could have a lot to do with the lack of scoring. if thats the case, moving anyone down is not the answer. imo

Reactions: StaalForOne

JimmyTwoTimes

Apr 13, 2010
in another post someone was saying that our defense men where not playing well. that could have a lot to do with the lack of scoring. if thats the case, moving anyone down is not the answer. imo

Yeah the team has already made over 10 transactions to start the year too. Pens taking Lafferty, and Blandisi as well as AJ for a bit hasnt helped create any type of chemistry either.

Only consistent line is the top one with..

Militec - Aggozino - Noesen

Wouldn't mind seeing either of Noesen or Aggozino up right now to take advantage of what they are doing. 11g 6a for Noesen and 6g9a for Aggozino.

Who cares about them being older and not true prospects. We just need temporary help. Id take either one over ZAR. Lafferty may need some rest as well. And if Blandisi doesnt produce while up, they really need to think about bringing one of those 2 up.

Need to get Blueger some help for the 4th line. Aggozino - Blueger - Noesen

After we trade ZAR and Simon

Reactions: OGBobbyFarnham

Victor Z

Trade me right f**king now!
Sponsor
Apr 10, 2018
The Burgh
Yeah the team has already made over 10 transactions to start the year too. Pens taking Lafferty, and Blandisi as well as AJ for a bit hasnt helped create any type of chemistry either.

Only consistent line is the top one with..

Militec - Aggozino - Noesen

Wouldn't mind seeing either of Noesen or Aggozino up right now to take advantage of what they are doing. 11g 6a for Noesen and 6g9a for Aggozino.

Who cares about them being older and not true prospects. We just need temporary help. Id take either one over ZAR. Lafferty may need some rest as well. And if Blandisi doesnt produce while up, they really need to think about bringing one of those 2 up.

Need to get Blueger some help for the 4th line. Aggozino - Blueger - Noesen

After we trade ZAR and Simon

IDK about Aggozino. It's not necessarily that he couldn't help the Pens right now, but he had a chance earlier this season and played about 90 seconds in 1 game. Unfortunately an opposition goal was scored when he was on the ice and he went straight to the Sully's doghouse & hasn't been seen since.

Johnson must have done something wrong too, though he seemed to be playing hard and doing reasonably well for Pittsburgh in his brief stint, but he was getting only about 5 shifts a game and spent a whole lot of time at the end of the bench while Sully just rolled 3 forward lines.

Reactions: JimmyTwoTimes

Tasty Biscuits

with fancy sauce
Aug 8, 2011
Pittsburgh
Just noticed that Poulin is the only player on his team who was ever drafted (though that'll change next year with Patrick Guay). Wonder how common/uncommon that is in juniors.

Gumbercules

Oct 11, 2007

I was at the game. Guy can certainly shoot the puck, no debating that. Gravel is a good goalie (will be in the mix for Can WJC team), and Legare beat him clean from far out. Had a breakaway late in the game but was stymied. Also stopped in the shootout (looked like a flukey save off the butt end of the stick). My observation is that skating isn't exactly a weakness, but he doesn't have speed enough that he can put guys back on their heels. Also would like him to be a bit more physical, as he is more physically mature than most junior players. He plays on the same line as Gabe Fortier, but BC is really just a one line team, and since they were matched up against a strong Halifax L1 (Groulx, Lavoie & Trepanier), neither team could get much going. Was surprised to see him get a little PK time, and he didn't look too out of sorts, however, I don't expect this will be something he will be looked to do at the pro level.

BC is a poor team that won't be great next year either, so I suspect Legare will be dealt this year.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad