Pittsburgh Penguins Prospects Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

Dipsy Doodle

Rent A Barn
May 28, 2006
Tim Hunter, Almeida’s coach in juniors, told our site that Almeida is "an NHL player, no question in my mind.”

How will Penguins prospect Justin Almeida adjust to the pro game?

A quote like that always sticks out to me when it comes from a prospect's coach who played in the NHL. They know how hard it is to make the NHL, especially for a smaller prospect. It doesn't always work out, but I don't think it's a prediction they use lightly.

Jacob

as seen on TV
Feb 27, 2002
Probably bodes well for the regular season. Build some confidence & establish yourself as a go-to player for your new team.

Empoleon8771

Aug 25, 2015
Redmond, WA
I did find it kind of odd that Lauzon didn't play in any of the rookie camp games. I guess that even if he was healthy enough to play hockey again, he was too far behind everyone else with 2 lost years of development.

Speaking Moistly

What a terrible image.
Feb 19, 2013
Injured Reserve
Poor kid.

I did find it kind of odd that Lauzon didn't play in any of the rookie camp games. I guess that even if he was healthy enough to play hockey again, he was too far behind everyone else with 2 lost years of development.

Reading the article, he wasn't healthy enough unless the translation is terrible.

The young man, who turns 21 next October, then got along with the University of New Brunswick, eager to prepare for the future, and suddenly his health did not allow him to return to the top.

From the first training session in late August, headaches and dizziness returned.

A few hours later, the verdict fell as a fatality.

Reactions: SHOOTANDSCORE

Speaking Moistly

What a terrible image.
Feb 19, 2013
Injured Reserve
Okay so he wasn't healthy then, that explains it. I feel bad for him, still having post-concussion issues sounds terrible.

Yeah, I don't think anything leaked about it being his health until this and I thought it was odd he didn't play too. I'm guessing he was there as a one last hurrah type of thing and the org knew. At this point you just hope it's not something that plagues him for the rest of his life.

SergeConstantin74

Always right.
Jul 7, 2007
Zach Lauzon started training with the University of New Brunswick in August but the concussion symptoms came back the first day. He had also received an invitation for the Pens rookie camp. He decided to retire from hockey and not put his future in jeopardy.

He was already offered a coaching position but he prefers being away from hockey for now.

He sounds like the kind of kid who could have made it. Wise beyond his years and talented. I'm sure he'll be successful with whatever he does next.

wej20

Aug 14, 2008
UK
Clayton Phillips activated to Nittany Lions 2019-20 roster. Eligible to go this season.

That’s really big news. Gadowsky’s system is one he should thrive in.

Some excellent news to balance out the awful news about Lauzon. Anyone know how/why Phillips got an exemption? I thought the NCAA usually make guys/girls sit out a year when transferring to a new programme.

Reactions: EVGENIMERLIN

CheckingLineCenter

Aug 10, 2018
Some excellent news to balance out the awful news about Lauzon. Anyone know how/why Phillips got an exemption? I thought the NCAA usually make guys/girls sit out a year when transferring to a new programme.

There’s never really any consistent rhyme or reason for these because the NCAA is a clownshow.... but I’d just guess a main point they made their case around was Motzko taking over from Lucia, especially since Phillips was unusually brought up from the USHL mid-year by Lucia. But again that’s just my guess.

Would be interesting to know if Phillips/PSU cited his draft status and potential future employment as a hockey player for reasons to avoid sitting out though.

WayneSid9987

Nov 24, 2009

Jacob

as seen on TV
Feb 27, 2002
That really sucks.. I think it'd be one thing to have to retire from a competitive sport due to concussions (or any injury) but that's kind of life as an athlete and not uncommon, but if you're getting symptoms that quickly and easily you almost have to question if any physical exertion is a good idea, which would really be a bummer for an athlete that's been active probably since he could walk.

I'm no doctor but maybe what's best would be to just take like 18 months off regardless of how good you feel in that time period and then go from there. It seems like we just still don't have a good grasp on when the hell a brain injury is actually healed.

Peat

Jun 14, 2016
Looking again at the list, and remembering how high Pronman was on Sprong, I think its a very "him" decision to have Legare higher. He really likes goalscoring and values it more highly than others; of course Legare is going to be our favourite forward prospect of his.

Still, I do enjoying the various takes on Legare vs Poulin.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad