Pittsburgh Penguins Prospects Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jacob

as seen on TV
Feb 27, 2002
For some reason he's listed as only playing 09:35 today.. could be a mistake though. He's consistently been around 17-18 minutes lately.

Timra's dead last and likely to be relegated. Gonna have to make a decision on whether a year in Allsvenskan is ideal for his development.. there could be a logjam in the AHL and a lot of not-as-promising-but-older players ahead of him on the depth chart. Maybe going to major-junior is an option. I forget how it affects his waiver and RFA/UFA status if he goes to the AHL at 19. I think as long as he's not called up it doesn't tick off any years.

I'd probably just bring him over to Wilkes-Barre.

wej20

Aug 14, 2008
UK
Definitely wouldn't send him to juniors, he's had 2 years of doing well against Men.

Johnson - Lafferty - Angelo
Miletic - Olund - Almeida
Bellerive - XXX - Haggerty

You're right though, lineup is pretty full on the wings plus they'll probably re-sign DiPauli. Interested to see if they see Almeida or Bellerive as pivots but I'm guessing they think they're wings as pros.

Reactions: PittsburghHustlers

rickardr

Oct 10, 2016
Sweden
For some reason he's listed as only playing 09:35 today.. could be a mistake though. He's consistently been around 17-18 minutes lately.

Timra's dead last and likely to be relegated. Gonna have to make a decision on whether a year in Allsvenskan is ideal for his development.. there could be a logjam in the AHL and a lot of not-as-promising-but-older players ahead of him on the depth chart. Maybe going to major-junior is an option. I forget how it affects his waiver and RFA/UFA status if he goes to the AHL at 19. I think as long as he's not called up it doesn't tick off any years.

Blocked a shot in the 2nd period, didn’t play after that.

Reactions: Peat and wej20

Dipsy Doodle

Rent A Barn
May 28, 2006

Fret not...he'll be in the big leagues yo

9HVy.gif

Reactions: Jacob

Peat

Jun 14, 2016

They could loan him to another SHL club. WBS is going to be super crowded up front next year, that much is for sure.

But I'd guess WBS. I'm guessing that at his rate of progress, they'd like to leave open the option that he can crash the roster by the end of next season.

Definitely wouldn't send him to juniors, he's had 2 years of doing well against Men.

You're right though, lineup is pretty full on the wings plus they'll probably re-sign DiPauli. Interested to see if they see Almeida or Bellerive as pivots but I'm guessing they think they're wings as pros.

Add Drozg and probably/maybe Bjorkqvist too.

CheckingLineCenter

Aug 10, 2018
Bob Mckenzie's Mid-season rankings.

Brett Leason could be an interesting pick for us, he's an overager but he's absolutely tearing it up in the WHL and could be ready a lot sooner than most guys you pick in that spot. Wouldn't say no to grabbing a defenseman if we have a 1st rounder.

Yeah I’d be real happy walking away with Leason. Should be a main target for us come June imo.

You're right though, lineup is pretty full on the wings plus they'll probably re-sign DiPauli.

I think they gotta at least get him here for camp and to start the season. Can always send him back if he’s not ready for it. He can play in the AHL without burning his ELC, he’s getting his chops in on NA ice, etc. The reward outweighs the minimal risk to me.

WBS is gonna be really crowded— but look who it’s going to be crowded with. A lot of guys that I’d say have some semblance of being NHL players... not a ton of AHL lifer plugs. So that’s good. And WBS exists to serve the Pens, not necessarily win games, so they should in theory find ice time and proper roles for all of the guys who they think could play in the big league as opposed to just running 4 lines mindlessly.

Jacob

as seen on TV
Feb 27, 2002

Brett Leason could be an interesting pick for us, he's an overager but he's absolutely tearing it up in the WHL and could be ready a lot sooner than most guys you pick in that spot. Wouldn't say no to grabbing a defenseman if we have a 1st rounder.
Dude looked awesome at the WJCs. Like a Wheeler/Stone hybrid. Wouldn’t mind the pick even with a late 1st.

Another guy I like is Arthur Kaliyev. Scouts don’t like his skating but I don’t think it’ll hold him back & everything else about him is as good as any forward in the draft.

Reactions: PittsburghHustlers

CheckingLineCenter

Aug 10, 2018
Dude looked awesome at the WJCs. Like a Wheeler/Stone hybrid. Wouldn’t mind the pick even with a late 1st.

Agreed. I’d be more than happy with Leason in the 1st (maybe not the teens but hopefully we don’t draft there) because he’s jumping straight to WBS and hopefully the NHL ain’t far off.

Pelletier, McMichael, Leason are all guys ranked by BMac in that late 1st range I would like to target. If Caufield falls on height I’d love that as well.

Reactions: Jacob

Sidney the Kidney

One last time
Jun 29, 2009

Minor concern about his skating. He's improved tremendously his skating (which is why he's suddenly a prospect worth looking at), but I think it's still "average" at the next level. He could be a Mark Stone, if everything works out.

wej20

Aug 14, 2008
UK
Yeah he's most likely getting picked in the top 15, but if he somehow drops, JR should do everything possible to grab him.

To be honest I think any position apart from Goalie would be a welcome addition to our prospect pool. If we pick a goalie I hope it is with our late round picks.

Mr Jiggyfly

Jan 29, 2004
Kind of insane to think about, but the last Pens first rounder to stick around and have an impact was Maatta and the only one aside from him to work out in the last 13 drafts was Staal. Basically 14 first rounders since they had two in ‘12.

Their most recent first rounder was KK, and before that DP, Morrow, BB, Despres and Espo. Mostly they have Maatta, Dumo, Brass, Pearson and Kessel to show for their last 14 first rounders. Trying to think if I missed anyone else...

Anyway, this is definitely a root cause as to why people flipped about Sprong being traded.

Last edited:
Reactions: Tasty Biscuits

wej20

Aug 14, 2008
UK
Kind of insane to think about, but the last Pens first rounder to stick around and have an impact was Maatta and the only one aside from him to work out in the last 13 drafts was Staal. Basically 14 first rounders since they had two in ‘12.

Their most recent first rounder was KK, and before that DP, Morrow, BB, Despres and Espo. Mostly they have Maatta, Dumo, Brass, Pearson and Kessel to show for their last 14 first rounders. Trying to think if I missed anyone else...

Anyway, this is definitely a root cause as to why people flipped about Sprong being traded.

We've had 7 first rounders since Staal, looks like we've picked 1 top 6 winger 9 (Kapanen) and 2 top 4 dmen (Maatta and Despres before his injury). Seems like a relatively decent return on the picks, just we traded two of the better players we picked and kept the busts until their values pretty much bottomed out.

Mr Jiggyfly

Jan 29, 2004
We've had 7 first rounders since Staal, looks like we've picked 1 top 6 winger 9 (Kapanen) and 2 top 4 dmen (Maatta and Despres before his injury). Seems like a relatively decent return on the picks, just we traded two of the better players we picked and kept the busts until their values pretty much bottomed out.

Pens have most definitely used their first rounders more as trade currency than as a developmental asset in the Crosby and Malkin era.

It’s lead to three cups so I’m not really making a statement about what they have done as being something bad. Just kind of thinking about how it’s futile to want any prospects in the first round, because that pick will likely continue to be trade currency as long as the big guys are around.

Sidney the Kidney

One last time
Jun 29, 2009
Pens have most definitely used their first rounders more as trade currency than as a developmental asset in the Crosby and Malkin era.

It’s lead to three cups so I’m not really making a statement about what they have done as being something bad. Just kind of thinking about how it’s futile to want any prospects in the first round, because that pick will likely continue to be trade currency as long as the big guys are around.

Not to mention, even if they keep the pick, I'll 99.9% guarantee they'll pick someone that no one on this board is even clamoring for. :laugh:

Ever since the Pouliot pick with Forsberg on the board, I've given up hoping they'll draft the guy I wanted.

The Old Master

come and take it.
Sep 27, 2004
burgh
Not to mention, even if they keep the pick, I'll 99.9% guarantee they'll pick someone that no one on this board is even clamoring for. :laugh:

Ever since the Pouliot pick with Forsberg on the board, I've given up hoping they'll draft the guy I wanted.
ah yes! I know the feeling well. but every year I keep coming back.
edit; what's that thing about insanity?

Mr Jiggyfly

Jan 29, 2004

I’ve basically stopped following the top prospects over the years because the odds are they won’t have a first to draft one of them, or the guy will get traded before he ever sees the big club.

CrosbyMalkin

Aug 7, 2005

I am fine with trading the 1st round picks also. We won 3 Cups so it is working out pretty well. Pens have been the leagues most successful franchise during the Crosby era so let’s keep trading those 1sts. I always like doing it for players with term that are still in prime age range. I hate using 1sts for rentals.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad