Pittsburgh Penguins Prospects Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

Sidney the Kidney

One last time
Jun 29, 2009
Is D'Orio a legit prospect, or just one of those guys who excel in junior but have fundamental flaws that will keep them from carrying that success over to the NHL (ie. Mike Murphy)?

WayneSid9987

Nov 24, 2009
Is D'Orio a legit prospect, or just one of those guys who excel in junior but have fundamental flaws that will keep them from carrying that success over to the NHL (ie. Mike Murphy)?

Goalies are an enigma really but you put him behind a competent to good team in the Q and he puts up pretty good to really good numbers. SJ was really good a couple seasons ago and D'Orio was very solid.

Brass got a really good look at his fundamentals in camp(a couple of em) and signed him. I'd call it a lottery ticket.

For the G position theres not many very young legit prospects. I remember Fucale was viewed as one years back just as an example. When you move up the ranks and the shooters are all very very good you have to adapt. The ones that do make it to the big leagues, the ones that don't end up like Fucale trying to hone thier skills/games at the ECHL level and work their way up(or a DeSmith).
The most lottery ticket'est position to draft/scout is G's.
Teams G coaches look at their size and fundamentals and pick up thier lottery ticket.
Buckley and the guy before him, have a pretty good eye for G talent. From Murray to Jarry to Gustavsson to CDS. Gus is behind a horrible team right now in Belleville but still a good prospect, imo.

Reactions: Giskard

Peat

Jun 14, 2016
Note in passing - Bellerive seems to be playing more W than C for Lethbridge, judging from the infographics on their twitter feed.

I don't think anyone here has seen enough to know for sure. His coaches and the prospect profiles sound excited, but when don't they?

Dipsy Doodle

Rent A Barn
May 28, 2006
Note in passing - Bellerive seems to be playing more W than C for Lethbridge, judging from the infographics on their twitter feed.

Interesting. We need C prospects more obviously but judging from scouting reports his game seems more tailored to wing at the NHL level.

Reactions: Peat

Jacob

as seen on TV
Feb 27, 2002
That jump from juniors or college to the pros is kind of a dice roll. Some guys, like Killeen and Hartzell, look fairly promising but never even make it out of the ECHL. Then there's cases like Murray & DeSmith.

I don't really *expect* d'Orio to be a future NHL goaltender but I think there's a chance he could be.

neelynugs

Feb 27, 2002
how would you guys rank the top 10 prospects right now? addison #1?
also, biggest riser and biggest disappointment this season is who?

Mr Jiggyfly

Jan 29, 2004

Sprong is the biggest disappointment. Everyone has their opinion why he was moved, but him not working out is worrisome with basically no projected top six wingers in the system.

Angello is my biggest riser, could be a nice third line power forward if he keeps progressing.

Peat

Jun 14, 2016

Addison's probably number 1 or there abouts - him or Hallander. I actually struggle a lot to decide who's top 10 or not. Everyone that I liked is looking good, nobody's looking that bad, everyone's got traits that look like they could work in the NHL, no one's so complete or so full with X Factor that they'll definitely be good...

I guess the biggest disappointment is Zach Lauzon not playing this season and probably retiring at the end of it - but that disappointment has been on the cards so its not. Maybe Niclas Almari plateauing at HPK and not kicking on.

Riser, definitely Nikita Pavlychev. That's what happens when the intriguing long shot giant shutdown 4C prospect suddenly runs at nearly ppg through the college season.

edit: I guess I'd stopped thinking of Sprong and thought of him as a player as otherwise, yeah, biggest disappointment by miles.

Freeptop

Jun 17, 2009
Pittsburgh, PA

It's worth noting that most people didn't think much of Murray when he was facing 40+ shots per game in Major Juniors, either. I'm not entirely convinced most NHL teams know how to evaluate goalie prospects. Actually, I'm not really convinced anyone does.

Jacob

as seen on TV
Feb 27, 2002
It's worth noting that most people didn't think much of Murray when he was facing 40+ shots per game in Major Juniors, either. I'm not entirely convinced most NHL teams know how to evaluate goalie prospects. Actually, I'm not really convinced anyone does.
That much is true. As an example on the other end of the spectrum to Murray, look at Fucale.

Reactions: Freeptop

Sidney the Kidney

One last time
Jun 29, 2009
That much is true. As an example on the other end of the spectrum to Murray, look at Fucale.

The weird thing is I never thought Fucale looked good even in junior. He kept getting all this praise/hype, but to me looked nothing special.

NMK11

Apr 6, 2013
Man, I feel like even if I didn't watch some of the junior leagues much at various times I still felt like I've been aware of the play of our top prospects over the past decade. Now I can barely name any. Maybe I just don't pay attention as mich, but it worries me all the same.

Dipsy Doodle

Rent A Barn
May 28, 2006
Pensburgh has an article on Bjorkqvist - nice scout quote in there that says he skates well

giphy.gif

chethejet

Feb 4, 2012
The farm system is iffy at best. But there are some nice prospects who have NHL projections. Many variables to who will emerge but GMJT clearly has to begin the focus of drafting and bringing young talent into the system. Lauzon and Hall not panning out hurts and I like the Pens head scout and want him to have as many picks as he can to rebuild the system.

WayneSid9987

Nov 24, 2009
The farm system is iffy at best. But there are some nice prospects who have NHL projections. Many variables to who will emerge but GMJT clearly has to begin the focus of drafting and bringing young talent into the system. Lauzon and Hall not panning out hurts and I like the Pens head scout and want him to have as many picks as he can to rebuild the system.

Use all avenues as well. Europe free agents, NCAA matured FA's, drafted NCAA'ers that decide to wait it out and pick where to go.
PIT seems to be in on alot of these guys to try and stock the farm system. From Panarin to Vesey, ZAR, Butcher, Riikola etc. etc.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad