Pittsburgh Penguins Prospects Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

JimmyTwoTimes

Apr 13, 2010
Almeida looking like an absolute steal.

This past draft looks great so far. Almeida like you mentioned(just another 5th round pick this team seems to do their best in) to go with Addison and Hallander. Then you got Bellerive continuing to develop. Bjorkvist playing well and so on as far as prospects not in WBS.

WBS gonna be fun to watch next year if these guys join. Especially after they sign Blueger to a 7 year AHL deal.

Should keep their first round pick this year as well. Dont believe we have to keep going " all in" each year because of this " window". If anything when our top guys are getting older (35 +) we should be surrounding them with top tier players to make up for it. And still have a great shot at winning it all imo

Last edited:

Sidney the Kidney

One last time
Jun 29, 2009
Did they change their scouts or head scout over the past two years? How'd we go from duds like Connor Hall and Zachary Lauzon to guys like Hallander, Addison, and Almeida?

Sidney the Kidney

One last time
Jun 29, 2009
Patrik Allvin was promoted to Head Scout on 28th June 2017, when Randy Sexton left to be Assistant GM in Buffalo.

Looking at Sexton's Wiki page, it appears he was first given partial control in 2013 as Co-Director of Amateur Scouting, but then in 2015 was given the role of sole Director of Amateur Scouting.

He seemed to be fully in charge of the Connor Hall and Zachary Lauzon drafts. That explains a lot.

Always thought that guy was an idiot.

wej20

Aug 14, 2008
UK
Looking at Sexton's Wiki page, it appears he was first given partial control in 2013 as Co-Director of Amateur Scouting, but then in 2015 was given the role of sole Director of Amateur Scouting.

He seemed to be fully in charge of the Connor Hall and Zachary Lauzon drafts. That explains a lot.

Always thought that guy was an idiot.

To be fair both had very bad injuries which will probably finish their careers, though neither looked like high upside picks.

Peat

Jun 14, 2016
There's a good chance 2017 will go down as a good draft year. Lauzon was a bad pick, but everyone else was a good pick for their position. Point in case - Olund's points totals scan well when put next to Sundqvist's, only Sundqvist was a 3rd and Olund a 5th.

Fixating on Hall and Lauzon gives a very misleading view of our drafting in recent years.

CheckingLineCenter

Aug 10, 2018
Fixating on Hall and Lauzon gives a very misleading view of our drafting in recent years.

I think Lauzon could have been okay if not for injury. Probably not smart to have been ready to spend a 1st on him, but he was an awesome athlete with top end skating and an advanced physical game. Never was gonna score points but read some stuff that his puck moving was underrated. Was older too, they probably saw him as a “safer” defender who could get to the NHL pretty quickly, which isn’t the worst thinking with this team.

Might have been the perfect partner for Addison with that play style too... *sighs*.

Peat

Jun 14, 2016
I think Lauzon could have been okay if not for injury. Probably not smart to have been ready to spend a 1st on him, but he was an awesome athlete with top end skating and an advanced physical game. Never was gonna score points but read some stuff that his puck moving was underrated. Was older too, they probably saw him as a “safer” defender who could get to the NHL pretty quickly, which isn’t the worst thinking with this team.

Might have been the perfect partner for Addison with that play style too... *sighs*.

Could have been okay isn't really the sort of profile you're looking for in a second rounder though. I'd agree with a lot of what you say, but it doesn't move him out of "instant bad pick" territory sad to say. And sadder that he never really got the chance to prove otherwise.

Sidney the Kidney

One last time
Jun 29, 2009
There's a good chance 2017 will go down as a good draft year. Lauzon was a bad pick, but everyone else was a good pick for their position. Point in case - Olund's points totals scan well when put next to Sundqvist's, only Sundqvist was a 3rd and Olund a 5th.

I mean, we'll see how many of them pan out. If we end up with the next Guentzel, then you can bump my post up. But none of them look to be anything special, and two of the higher picks (Hall and Lauzon) look terrible. Even without injuries, both picks seemed stretches for where they were taken.

Peat

Jun 14, 2016
I mean, we'll see how many of them pan out. If we end up with the next Guentzel, then you can bump my post up. But none of them look to be anything special, and two of the higher picks (Hall and Lauzon) look terrible. Even without injuries, both picks seemed stretches for where they were taken.

You don't need the next Guentzel for it to be a good draft. Hell, considering the picks we had in both of them, just getting the next Rust or Maatta isn't odds on. And sure, its harder when they waste some of the higher picks... but c'est la vie.

It should also be pointed out that 2015 was also a Sexton draft and that one looks like an amazing draft.

Sidney the Kidney

One last time
Jun 29, 2009
You don't need the next Guentzel for it to be a good draft. Hell, considering the picks we had in both of them, just getting the next Rust or Maatta isn't odds on. And sure, its harder when they waste some of the higher picks... but c'est la vie.

And who, from those drafts, look like they're trending to become bonafide #4/5 defensemen or top nine wingers? Maybe Bjorkqvist?

It should also be pointed out that 2015 was also a Sexton draft and that one looks like an amazing draft.

Was it? He took over in 2015 as the sole Direct of Scouting, but when? I honestly don't know because the Wiki article just says 2015.

I concentrated on 2016 and 2017 because those are the ones where he was solely in charge for the entire calendar year leading up to the draft.

Peat

Jun 14, 2016
And who, from those drafts, look like they're trending to become bonafide #4/5 defensemen or top nine wingers? Maybe Bjorkqvist?

Bjorkqvist, Drozg and Philips are all tracking well imo. Almari's stalled a little but the reports regarding him are more encouraging than not. I feel all are about as on track, give or take, as you could expect them to be at their age as non-blue chippers.

Was it? He took over in 2015 as the sole Direct of Scouting, but when? I honestly don't know because the Wiki article just says 2015.

I concentrated on 2016 and 2017 because those are the ones where he was solely in charge for the entire calendar year leading up to the draft.

Fair point... but judging from who was talking the media, who got promoted and who didn't, Sexton was primus inter pares well before that date.

CrosbyMalkin

Aug 7, 2005
This past draft looks great so far. Almeida like you mentioned(just another 5th round pick this team seems to do their best in) to go with Addison and Hallander. Then you got Bellerive continuing to develop. Bjorkvist playing well and so on as far as prospects not in WBS.

WBS gonna be fun to watch next year if these guys join. Especially after they sign Blueger to a 7 year AHL deal.

Should keep their first round pick this year as well. Dont believe we have to keep going " all in" each year because of this " window". If anything when our top guys are getting older (35 +) we should be surrounding them with top tier players to make up for it. And still have a great shot at winning it all imo

They are already surrounded by top tier players. Kessel, Guentzel, Hornqvist are all top tier. Hornqvist might be the best net front presence in the NHL. Kessel one of the best Right handed shots for the PP in the NHL. Both those two players not only help 5v5 but are vital reasons why Pens have one of they best PP’s since Kessel arrived. Guentzel of course has been a playoff stud with 23 goals and 42 points in 37 playoff games and is on pace for 40 goals and 80 points this season. Can’t get much more elite than that.

Letang is an elite #1 defenseman and the second pairing has Schultz who can score like a #1 when needed like when Letang was out and Schultz put up 51 points. Can’t have a much better backup than that.

Murray in goal is also elite in my opinion. Pens have top tier players at every position and depth at all positions also. Not saying it will all work out like in the Brassard case but having a 3C of his talent is not the norm. Unfortunately he is not working out for whatever reason.

In the salary cap era it is hard to have elite players like Crosby, Malkin, Letang, and Kessel and still have a great surrounding cast like Guentzel, Hornqvist, Murray, Dumoulin, Schultz, and plenty of good depth throughout the lineup. Hard to build a better team with a cap system so saving 1st round picks had not been an issue. We used those to build a Multiple Cup winner.

I am fine with using 1st round pick to trade for a player with term each year. Always better than the gamble of a late pick in the 1st round prospect. Take players like Kessel, Brassard, Perron/then trades for Hagelin. Any of those players you would be pumped if your 1st round pick develops that well. Half the bottom half picks don’t even develop into NHL regulars and even less into impact players. All take the proven player with term anyday for a 1st and a prospect.

CrosbyMalkin

Aug 7, 2005
Could have been okay isn't really the sort of profile you're looking for in a second rounder though. I'd agree with a lot of what you say, but it doesn't move him out of "instant bad pick" territory sad to say. And sadder that he never really got the chance to prove otherwise.

That’s not true at all. Many 1st round picks I have heard them say at the draft if they develop well they can be a good 3rd line player. So many picks even higher than the 2nd round have that type of profile as Lauzon. With all the injuries will never know how he would of turned out. But good skater with good defensive instincts that just won the award for best defensive defenseman that year of the draft. It didn’t work out but same could be said for picks going for the high end scoring types. Let’s face it a large number of bottom half of the 1st round picks don’t become regular NHL players so no shame in 2nd round busts.

Peat

Jun 14, 2016
That’s not true at all. Many 1st round picks I have heard them say at the draft if they develop well they can be a good 3rd line player. So many picks even higher than the 2nd round have that type of profile as Lauzon. With all the injuries will never know how he would of turned out. But good skater with good defensive instincts that just won the award for best defensive defenseman that year of the draft. It didn’t work out but same could be said for picks going for the high end scoring types. Let’s face it a large number of bottom half of the 1st round picks don’t become regular NHL players so no shame in 2nd round busts.

The guys expected to be third liners going in the 1st round are usually considered very safe bets (as safe as a draft pick can be at least). Anyone with Lauzon's pre-draft numbers is by default a long odds bet. A prospect that's rather unlikely to pan out and won't have much of a ceiling even if they do is not a good pick in the 2nd round. Yes, plenty of 2nd rounders don't connect - that doesn't mean there aren't good picks and bad picks there. Lauzon was a bad pick.

Reactions: Shady Machine

Sidney the Kidney

One last time
Jun 29, 2009
The guys expected to be third liners going in the 1st round are usually considered very safe bets (as safe as a draft pick can be at least). Anyone with Lauzon's pre-draft numbers is by default a long odds bet. A prospect that's rather unlikely to pan out and won't have much of a ceiling even if they do is not a good pick in the 2nd round. Yes, plenty of 2nd rounders don't connect - that doesn't mean there aren't good picks and bad picks there. Lauzon was a bad pick.

That is my biggest issue with the Lauzon (and Hall) picks. Prospects bust all the time, even the so-called "high ceiling" ones. But you're already setting yourself a low bar if you're picking guys high who even if they reach their best case scenario are bottom pairing/bottom six forwards.

IMO, you draft a player based on the assumption of him reaching his ultimate upside/ceiling. If said upside/ceiling is very low, you don't pick him high. You shouldn't be trying to land the next Robert Bortuzzo/Deryk Engeland with a high pick.

CheckingLineCenter

Aug 10, 2018
Not much luck finding info on Gorman. According to the school's twitter he has 6 goals so far in a possible 18 games. No idea how many he's played or how diligent the twitter is.

St. Sebs Hockey (@StSebsHockey) | Twitter

Not sure if it’s correct but the Athletic does a list of all the prospects and their boxcars— had him at 8 G, 15 P in 11 GP. I know USHR.com updates stats for the prep schools but I don’t have a subscription.

Reactions: SHOOTANDSCORE

SHOOTANDSCORE

Eeny Meeny Miny Moe
Sep 25, 2005
Not sure if it’s correct but the Athletic does a list of all the prospects and their boxcars— had him at 8 G, 15 P in 11 GP. I know USHR.com updates stats for the prep schools but I don’t have a subscription.
I'd definitely trust their stats more than scrolling a twitter feed.

Those numbers are more along what I'd expect. Thanks for posting them.

Reactions: CheckingLineCenter
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad