Pittsburgh Penguins Prospects Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

CheckingLineCenter

Aug 10, 2018
Imagine he'll get more ice time there which is a good thing. All three of Princeton's top 3 scorers have graduated.

100%. That’s the biggest positive of him flipping. Get to play more off the bat, plus an Ivy education and I believe his father played there. Never ever a bad decision to attend Princeton haha.

IIRC Quinn recruited him and is obviously no longer there so it make sense from that standpoint. Additionally with BU bringing in lottery talent every year there was never a guarantee for him to work his way up the depth chart regardless of coach.

On the other hand... idk if as a Pens fan I like it. ECAC can’t sniff HE even on their worst year in terms of competition. I like what Boston U has continually done with their players who have possible NHL abilities. Few schools can stack up to the BU pipeline lately, but Princeton doesn’t necessarily have much of a recent track record of guys making the league in general.

Peat

Jun 14, 2016
Seems a bit swings and roundabouts - more opportunity vs better coaching - but I have to admire I'd have preferred him to go with the coaching.

T1K

Jul 23, 2013
Pittsburgh
What’s the deal with Justin Almeida? He seems to have nice upside looking at his WHL production

Jacob

as seen on TV
Feb 27, 2002
What’s the deal with Justin Almeida? He seems to have nice upside looking at his WHL production
That's basically the deal with him.

Small guy if not in height but in build, not physical but does buzz around close to the crease to score his goals. May have some nice upside but we'll know more next year when we find out if he can produce in the AHL.

Peat

Jun 14, 2016
That's basically the deal with him.

Small guy if not in height but in build, not physical but does buzz around close to the crease to score his goals. May have some nice upside but we'll know more next year when we find out if he can produce in the AHL.

More or less this.

I think he can't have done anymore than he did in juniors to make us feel excited, but given that he doesn't have slam dunk attributes that we know of*, gotta wait to see how he goes at the next level up before really getting the hype train going.

I do like the fact he did it all with a bad shoulder injury. That's ballsy.

*it may turn out later that he had slam dunk IQ but we couldn't recognise it at the time. Some of his highlights have a kinda Guentzel-esque knack for finding open ice. That's a super best case comparable (the other best case comparable is Point, who had very similar points totals for the same WHL club), but it might be.

T1K

Jul 23, 2013
Pittsburgh
Nice. Sounds promising for WBS, hopefully we can catch lightning in a bottle. The WHL is known for inflated point totals though, right?

CheckingLineCenter

Aug 10, 2018
The WHL is known for inflated point totals though, right?

That’s moreso the QMJHL imo. But even that rep has become overblown to me in recent years.

Agree with what @Peat said, Almeida did all we could have wanted in terms of his numbers, but it’s kinda more wait and see how he adjusts to professional hockey. Doesn’t really have the pedigree to get super excited and start projecting him as a top prospect despite a great season.

Peat

Jun 14, 2016
Would be surprised. He's barely played the last few years.

Part of the wonderful Sundqvist/Reaves trade

I wouldn't be surprised - this references the last we heard about Lauzon out of the org:

New Mackey article mentions Pens excited for Bellerive and Bjork to WB/S next season.
Also mentions plan is Almari to WB/S and not sure on Hallander because hes still 18.
Also, Lauzon will be invited to rookie camp and looking to turn pro if his injuries allow him to

They would clearly likely him to be involved if he can be.

Reactions: SHOOTANDSCORE

Jacob

as seen on TV
Feb 27, 2002
I don’t see many names on that draft re-entry list jumping out at me.

Maybe if Hoefenmayer passes through undrafted he might be worth a camp invite and if that’s successful an ELC. PPG d-man in the OHL and he’s got decent size (6’1” 205).

CheckingLineCenter

Aug 10, 2018
Phillips is leaving the Gophers. He was brought in a half year too early, and did nothing in a season and a half.

Minnesota kind of botched his development within their program, coaches got overhauled, plus the writing was on the wall with Johnson and others coming in. Feel bad for the kid.

That's not good. Probably him done as a prospect as he'll have to sit out the whole of next season.

Can still play in the USHL I think, but kind of agree here. Really not a prospect anymore. Best case he emerges real late like Lafferty.

Peat

Jun 14, 2016
Could he go play in Sweden or Switzerland or the like?

Also... assuming anything good does happen with him, how does it affect our rights? Its normally two years or until they graduate, right? Would he do USHL for a year then a different college? Would that affect things?

I suppose the optimistic view is he was always meant to be a project anyway.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad