Pittsburgh Penguins Prospects Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

Peat

Jun 14, 2016
Are we sure about this yet?

Everything I have read says a player has to be drafted to be subjected to the CHL/NHL agreement for the A.

He wasn’t drafted so does this rule still apply to him?

I thought someone posted a correction here that all players eligible for CHL count regardless of how they joined the NHL organisation, but I may be wrong.

Speaking Moistly

What a terrible image.
Feb 19, 2013
Injured Reserve
Are we sure about this yet?

Everything I have read says a player has to be drafted to be subjected to the CHL/NHL agreement for the A.

He wasn’t drafted so does this rule still apply to him?

I want to say it’s often phrased as drafted but is actually “drafted and playing in the chl”. I’ve read what you’re talking about, though.

Mr Jiggyfly

Jan 29, 2004
I thought someone posted a correction here that all players eligible for CHL count regardless of how they joined the NHL organisation, but I may be wrong.

Seems logical, but who knows.

Anyway, came across this on the prospects board. I guess we aren’t the only ones confused about him not getting drafted or any hype this season:

I've got to watch him a large number of times over the years in Lethbridge.

A player that does it all. Outside of his obvious offensive skill, he is a leader and a grinder. He plays above his size and can be relied on in all situations.

He is a captain, penalty killer, even strength rock, pp star, etc, etc.

It is truly mind boggling how he didn't get drafted, and I said that on draft day, especially considering scouts and GMs usually love this type of player.​

Dipsy Doodle

Rent A Barn
May 28, 2006
Some family stuff came up so unfortunately I wont be able to get out to Brandon to watch Bellerive play these next 2 games.

JimmyTwoTimes

Apr 13, 2010
Seems logical, but who knows.

Anyway, came across this on the prospects board. I guess we aren’t the only ones confused about him not getting drafted or any hype this season:

Saw that too, nice to have a prospect like Bellerive after passing up some good ones in last years draft.

Every time I check out the prospects section, I see Nic Hague continuing to produce. Hes now in the AHL, in his first season. 6'6 dman who can skate, has a mean streak, and put up the numbers he has( highest for dman since 1999) ? Alot of us wanted him before the draft, still pissed we didnt get him.

Dmen like him dont come around often. And we are a team that desperately needs them. He could have stepped in next season.

Vegas did great in that draft.

wej20

Aug 14, 2008
UK
Saw that too, nice to have a prospect like Bellerive after passing up some good ones in last years draft.

Every time I check out the prospects section, I see Nic Hague continuing to produce. Hes now in the AHL, in his first season. 6'6 dman who can skate, has a mean streak, and put up the numbers he has( highest for dman since 1999) ? Alot of us wanted him before the draft, still pissed we didnt get him.

Dmen like him dont come around often. And we are a team that desperately needs them. He could have stepped in next season.

Vegas did great in that draft.

You'd think with his size and his numbers that he'd have gone in the first round. Logan Stanley went 18th overall the year before and he's not got Hague's offensive ability.

JimmyTwoTimes

Apr 13, 2010
I think I remember some health issues.

It was his skating, which he quickly dismissed this season. Theres been plenty of articles on him this year. He talks about working hard to improve in that area , and did. Also has the mindset you want to see from prospects, he continues to work on aspects of his game even after being the first dman to score over 30 goals in juniors since 99.

Itd be different if he came out of nowhere, but this was a guy alot of us wanted the Pens to draft in the first round. And if we didnt have such a need. Not to mention him already being moved up to AHL in his first season. Theyre expecting him to be on Vegas sometime next season.

We couldnt have asked for a better first round pick.

Sidney the Kidney

One last time
Jun 29, 2009
You'd think with his size and his numbers that he'd have gone in the first round. Logan Stanley went 18th overall the year before and he's not got Hague's offensive ability.

I think one of the question marks about Hague was just how much of his production (in his draft year) was a sign of offensive upside, and how much was simply a guy with a canon shot but limited overall offensive skills. That, and he was still very raw defensively.

Obviously, his season has answered a lot of those questions. But I believe that's why he slipped, even with his gaudy totals.

wej20

Aug 14, 2008
UK
It was his skating, which he quickly dismissed this season. Theres been plenty of articles on him this year. He talks about working hard to improve in that area , and did. Also has the mindset you want to see from prospects, he continues to work on aspects of his game even after being the first dman to score over 30 goals in juniors since 99.

Itd be different if he came out of nowhere, but this was a guy alot of us wanted the Pens to draft in the first round. And if we didnt have such a need. Not to mention him already being moved up to AHL in his first season. Theyre expecting him to be on Vegas sometime next season.

Isn't in junior or NHL for him next year?

Peat

Jun 14, 2016
Isn't in junior or NHL for him next year?

I think so. I think that for a player to be eligible for the AHL, they've got to be 20 at the start of the junior season. Hague turns 20 in December, so he either has to start in the NHL or the CHL, and he can't be recalled once reassigned to juniors.

I guess its possible that Vegas would call him up straight to the NHL team after his junior season is done, assuming that season is done before Vegas' season is done, but that's the only way he joins them if he's not there from the start.

Incidentally, I still think there's no way the Pens would have picked a 1st rounder with so many questions over his skating - just because he's answered them doesn't mean they weren't there.

Honour Over Glory

Fire Sully
Jan 30, 2012
I think so. I think that for a player to be eligible for the AHL, they've got to be 20 at the start of the junior season. Hague turns 20 in December, so he either has to start in the NHL or the CHL, and he can't be recalled once reassigned to juniors.

I guess its possible that Vegas would call him up straight to the NHL team after his junior season is done, assuming that season is done before Vegas' season is done, but that's the only way he joins them if he's not there from the start.

Incidentally, I still think there's no way the Pens would have picked a 1st rounder with so many questions over his skating - just because he's answered them doesn't mean they weren't there.

No the 20yr old thing has to be the beginning of the AHL I think. He has to turn 20 before the turn of the calendar or something moronic like that. Unless I am remembering wrong.

Peat

Jun 14, 2016
No the 20yr old thing has to be the beginning of the AHL I think. He has to turn 20 before the turn of the calendar or something moronic like that. Unless I am remembering wrong.

Could be. Well, either case, one of the two, and the season starts are close enough together that Hague still will be NHL/Juniors only next season.

The Old Master

come and take it.
Sep 27, 2004
burgh

I was hoping we would pick him, and unlike most of my choices he was still there (or passed over)when we would of picked. but I'm sure there was something to do with a foot or feet.

Peat

Jun 14, 2016
Incidentally - who do people want in the upcoming draft? Dunno if anyone's talked about it at all yet.

Jacob

as seen on TV
Feb 27, 2002
What can we do to make Dahlen fall to the mid 2nd? Some kind of rumor?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad