Pittsburgh Penguins Prospects Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

WayneSid9987

Nov 24, 2009
He should definitely play next year and barring a breakout he should probably go back for his final year. I still don't understand why Tiffels was signed last summer.

Well his WHC performance pushed Pens brass to sign him, i imagine.

Rakell67

Sep 28, 2017
PA
Björkqvist played yesterday in 1st line at FIN-BLR game.He looks pretty fast and strong and likes to go front of the net. He's style of play reminds me a lot of Hornqvist's.

Said in an interview that hes going to graduate first before turning pro, so he's not going to play in WBS or Pens for atleast 2 years am i right?
He also said Human Behavior.

Speaking Moistly

What a terrible image.
Feb 19, 2013
Injured Reserve
If Bellerive was drafted in the first round last summer, I wonder if there would be a lot of buzz about him.

Such a bizarre situation that I don’t even know what to make of it.

It’s honestly baffling how he didn’t get drafted and as far as I’ve seen is still flying under the radar. Idk how he’ll turn out but it’s weird. It’s like everyone f***ed up and then the Pens swooped in with a horseshoe up their ass.

I have yet to see someone bring up a reason some team didn’t at least throw a 7th round pick at him; including the Pens. They look clever for inviting him to camp but got lucky that he was passed on by everyone else multiple times.

Reactions: Honour Over Glory

Mr Jiggyfly

Jan 29, 2004
It’s honestly baffling how he didn’t get drafted and as far as I’ve seen is still flying under the radar. Idk how he’ll turn out but it’s weird. It’s like everyone ****ed up and then the Pens swooped in with a horseshoe up their ass.

I have yet to see someone bring up a reason some team didn’t at least throw a 7th round pick at him; including the Pens. They look clever for inviting him to camp but got lucky that he was passed on by everyone else multiple times.

The only scouting report that could be found about him before the draft was from his pops...

It feels like what he’s doing isn’t legit because no one drafted him and no one is buzzing about him really.

Just one of the oddest Pens prospects situations I can ever recall.

Should we be excited? Does he really exist?

Speaking Moistly

What a terrible image.
Feb 19, 2013
Injured Reserve
The only scouting report that could be found about him before the draft was from his pops...

It feels like what he’s doing isn’t legit because no one drafted him and no one is buzzing about him really.

Just one of the oddest Pens prospects situations I can ever recall.

Should we be excited? Does he really exist?

Maybe he’s as old as he looks?

I think a couple of brief scouting reports are kicking around from before the draft.

Looks like another 2 goal game in a comeback win.

ETA: 3 point night, now tied for 5th in whl playoff points with 15 in 7gp and in a clump of players tied for second in whl playoff goals with 8.

Last edited:

Honour Over Glory

Fire Sully
Jan 30, 2012
There was a decent scouting report on the Devils SB Nation site about Bellerive, for what its worth, and both the Draft Analyst and NHL Central Scouting Services had him as going.

Bellerive reckoned people were down on his skating - Penguins notebook: Jordy Bellerive's stock is up as he heads to juniors - but most of the scouting reports that do exist mention his speed.

Super super weird.
A lot of the people on this board read that lack of speed thing and acted like they saw him and used that as a basis for what they weren't impressed by him.

This was WHILE the rookie tourney which was televised and showed ample proof that speed was definitely not a draw back for him, he has good quick close in speed too, he'll close the gap in tight spaces really fast.

It is one of the more bizarre things but hey, who are we to complain? We got this kid for nothing but a contract and a picture of his sister with Sid.

Reactions: Brandinho

Dipsy Doodle

Rent A Barn
May 28, 2006
It's encouraging to see that our two best forward prospects are such confident, decisive shooters.

As great as our forwards are, their biggest failing is often how deferential they can be. Hopefully the shoot-first kids will rub off a little on the gun-shy vets.

Dipsy Doodle

Rent A Barn
May 28, 2006
Going purely on numbers, it looks like nobody but Heponiemi has been having a definitively better post-draft year in the CHL than Bellerive. Maybe Vilardi?

Brandinho

deng xiaoping gang
Aug 28, 2005
República de Cuba
It’s honestly baffling how he didn’t get drafted and as far as I’ve seen is still flying under the radar. Idk how he’ll turn out but it’s weird. It’s like everyone ****ed up and then the Pens swooped in with a horseshoe up their ass.

There has to be something egregious that we just don't know about. Perhaps he wears socks with sandals or thinks Godfather 3 is the only good movie in the trilogy or puts ketchup on steak (that he orders well done).

EightyOne

My posts are jokes. And hockey is just a game.
Nov 23, 2016
It's worse.

When he goes to Rita's, he only orders vanilla. And asks for slaw on the side at Primanti's.

I hope he continues to do well. We need defense, but we're gonna have plenty of holes/upgrade opportunities in our forward lines.

Mr Jiggyfly

Jan 29, 2004
There has to be something egregious that we just don't know about. Perhaps he wears socks with sandals or thinks Godfather 3 is the only good movie in the trilogy or puts ketchup on steak (that he orders well done).

Where have you been? Apparently it’s now hip to wear socks and sandals.

Which is comical as hell because my wife used to always joke how embarrassing her dad was when she was younger because he wore black socks and sandals.

However, last summer I saw my two younger male cousins doing it and somehow they pulled it off. Then I noticed my younger female cousin doing it and she was pulling it off to.

My conclusion is now that my father in law was just ahead of his time and my wife wasn’t very hip.

It's worse.

When he goes to Rita's, he only orders vanilla. And asks for slaw on the side at Primanti's.

I hope he continues to do well. We need defense, but we're gonna have plenty of holes/upgrade opportunities in our forward lines.

If he actually eats at Primantis that would explain everything.

Peat

Jun 14, 2016

Which is comical as hell because my wife used to always joke how embarrassing her dad was when she was younger because he wore black socks and sandals.

However, last summer I saw my two younger male cousins doing it and somehow they pulled it off. Then I noticed my younger female cousin doing it and she was pulling it off to.

My conclusion is now that my father in law was just ahead of his time and my wife wasn’t very hip.

Have you explained this theory to her yet?

Rakell67

Sep 28, 2017
PA
So what do you think is Bellerive’s timetable for reaching the NHL? Is his game better suited for wing or center?

theicebox

#MonixWatch
Jan 8, 2010
Pittsburgh
So what do you think is Bellerive’s timetable for reaching the NHL? Is his game better suited for wing or center?

I was just thinking the same thing, after seeing those highlights and constantly hearing positive updates about him in this thread.

I remember some users saying that he was likely to convert to wing, given play style / height, but if he could max out as a 2C for us in about 3 years time, that would be huge for this team.

Brandinho

deng xiaoping gang
Aug 28, 2005
República de Cuba

Socks and sandals or socks and slides?

This is never okay:

get

This has always been fine:

main-qimg-27e79ca697c9fd4ec22d93d249fe1a02

Reactions: bambamcam4ever

Peat

Jun 14, 2016

I was just thinking the same thing, after seeing those highlights and constantly hearing positive updates about him in this thread.

I remember some users saying that he was likely to convert to wing, given play style / height, but if he could max out as a 2C for us in about 3 years time, that would be huge for this team.

With a pinch of salt for not having seen him since the prospects tournament -

Next years it's NHL or juniors. Given how absolutely loaded the Pens' roster is at forward right now, he'd have to perform miracles to make the roster.

Year after that, he can play AHL. Maybe he goes straight to the NHL at that point, but that seems very unlike the Pens right now - and we're not going to be that much less loaded at forward then. My guess would be AHL, maybe with a cup of coffee, maybe making the team late in the season.

So, bar him blowing the doors off, I think we're two seasons from seeing him start in the NHL. I don't know how likely it is that someone with his numbers is going to blow the door off. From what I've seen and heard, he's got a lot of attributes that should translate well to the NHL but no freak stand-out quality - I don't know if that will help or hinder him in making it early.

As for where he plays... I guess a bit depends on what happens on the team before he gets here, where the position in the roster opens up. We're absolutely loaded at wing for now, but that could change very quickly. There's a weakness in the centre pipeline when it comes to players who can replace Brassard as an impact 3C, but we'll have 4/5 talented centres in WBS next season and it only takes one guy outperforming and maybe that changes too. Maybe we sign Sheahan moderately long term and he continues to blossom too. Who knows?

In general I guess wing, because there's more slots there and the Pens love converting small-ish centres into wingers - plus he seems to be a trigger-happy guy who likes to go to the net, which says wing to me - but I can't say I'd rule out centre. Maybe he'll be comfy at both, which would be super useful.

Reactions: Warm Cookies

PensandCaps

Beddy Tlueger
May 22, 2015

I say no chance he is a NHL centre.

Mr Jiggyfly

Jan 29, 2004
Socks and sandals or socks and slides?

This is never okay:

get

This has always been fine:

main-qimg-27e79ca697c9fd4ec22d93d249fe1a02

My cousins were sporting a look like the second pic, but didn’t have the whole chic “these skinny ass ankles can’t support my weight” thing going.

The first pic, doesn’t matter if you have socks or not, just grab a staff and shepherd some sheep. I don’t even understand how that would happen to a person blessed with any decent type of vision...

Mr Jiggyfly

Jan 29, 2004
Next years it's NHL or juniors. d translate well to the NHL but no freak stand-out quality - I don't know if that will help or hinder him in making it early.

Are we sure about this yet?

Everything I have read says a player has to be drafted to be subjected to the CHL/NHL agreement for the A.

He wasn’t drafted so does this rule still apply to him?

Sidney the Kidney

One last time
Jun 29, 2009
Are we sure about this yet?

Everything I have read says a player has to be drafted to be subjected to the CHL/NHL agreement for the A.

He wasn’t drafted so does this rule still apply to him?

Pretty sure it does because the CHL is still an avenue for him. I believe the exception rule only applies to Europeans who were either a]drafted when they were in Europe then came over to play in the CHL afterward or b]are on loan from a European club the season they were drafted, and thus can play back in Europe instead of returning to the CHL.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad