Pittsburgh Penguins Prospects Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

Shrimper

Trick or ruddy treat
Feb 20, 2010
Essex
I was looking at Almari's EliteProspects page and it says that next year he is listed as playing in Finland? Has that been confirmed anywhere?

Sidney the Kidney

One last time
Jun 29, 2009
I don't think size should ever be an issue for Bellerive. Even if he's not tall, he's stocky. And he's not even that short. He's essentially somewhere between Hornqvist and Crosby's size (height and weight).

td_ice

Peter shows the way
Aug 13, 2005
USA
Everything about Bellerive's particulars suggest a guy who probably should have been taken in the late 1st/early 2nd round.

I live near Brandon so I'm gonna try to get out to a playoff tilt to watch him live next week.
Sweet. Definitely look forward to a live scouting report, if you are able to go.

Gumbercules

Oct 11, 2007
Rouyn Noranda ousted in game 7. Lauzon did not play.

I suspect they'll let him recover from his injuries at home rather than bring him to WBS.

Reactions: AverageJoeFan

Gumbercules

Oct 11, 2007
I don’t know what’s going on with his injury riddled season, but he was quite impressive during the rookie tournament. Doesn’t mean a ton, but he had some really nice tools.

I saw him play three games in the playoffs last year and he looked terrific. RN had his brother and P. Myers getting the tough assignments, but Z. Lauzon looked real solid in his sheltered role. ME Vlasic type player if someone wants a comparable (no, i obviously don't think he will be as good as Vlasic, just a style comparison). Didn't see him play once this season, so have no idea whether his season was as bad as it looked on paper.

Mr Jiggyfly

Jan 29, 2004
I saw him play three games in the playoffs last year and he looked terrific. RN had his brother and P. Myers getting the tough assignments, but Z. Lauzon looked real solid in his sheltered role. ME Vlasic type player if someone wants a comparable (no, i obviously don't think he will be as good as Vlasic, just a style comparison). Didn't see him play once this season, so have no idea whether his season was as bad as it looked on paper.

Ya he wasn’t dazzling, but he was a good skater that was positionally sound and moved the puck quickly.

See how his injuries go, but he’s definitely not a guy I’d give up on.

Peat

Jun 14, 2016
And then drafting guys like Zachary Lauzon in the 2nd, who would have probably gone undrafted otherwise.

That's a funny way of saying "was allegedly going to be taken by Montreal with their next pick".

Jacob

as seen on TV
Feb 27, 2002
It's hard for me to compare Hall to Lauzon.

We couldn't have predicted he'd have a serious neck injury that'd keep him out of 2/3rds of the season (and probably seriously affect his play in the games he did play in) in his post-draft season.

Vujtek

Oct 7, 2007
I was looking at Almari's EliteProspects page and it says that next year he is listed as playing in Finland? Has that been confirmed anywhere?

Well he has a contract with HPK for next season so that's why EliteProspects has him playing in Finland next season. Penguins could always sign him and he could come to play in AHL next season but right now he only has a contract with his Finnish team for next season. Penguins also don't have to sign him this year, they still have his rights until 2020.

Shrimper

Trick or ruddy treat
Feb 20, 2010
Essex
I saw that Ohlund was included in a warm-up game for Sweden. Can't find the tweet but assuming for the WHC?

zaq

Apr 5, 2018
Björkqvist played yesterday in 1st line at FIN-BLR game.He looks pretty fast and strong and likes to go front of the net. He's style of play reminds me a lot of Hornqvist's.

Said in an interview that hes going to graduate first before turning pro, so he's not going to play in WBS or Pens for atleast 2 years am i right?

Empoleon8771

Aug 25, 2015
Redmond, WA
I thought I heard Guerin say that Bjorkqvist would be pro ready within a year or 2 when he was drafted, but it makes more sense for him to play out his upperclassmen years in college. I'm not overly surprised he's not turning pro early.

deakka

Nov 6, 2009
Great. Now i need to be nervous about Björkqvist going the FA route after his 4th season in college.

chethejet

Feb 4, 2012
Even with the cap going up, Pens still need guys to emerge on ELC cheap contracts. At least the Pens have a decent prospect pool of forwards that a couple can surprise. Sprong, Bjorkqvist, Reese, come to mind. Liked Hall but those injuries are just to much now.

Empoleon8771

Aug 25, 2015
Redmond, WA
Great. Now i need to be nervous about Björkqvist going the FA route after his 4th season in college.

I don't think there's much of a risk for that, to be honest. I think it's overall pretty uncommon for teams to not sign with the teams that drafted them. Especially considering how well the Penguins have developed forwards, I think it's even more unlikely.

Even with the cap going up, Pens still need guys to emerge on ELC cheap contracts. At least the Pens have a decent prospect pool of forwards that a couple can surprise. Sprong, Bjorkqvist, Reese, come to mind. Liked Hall but those injuries are just to much now.

The Penguins have a very good forward prospect pool, it's overflowing with guys with NHL potential. Even if those guys don't have super high upside, it's still NHL upside. That's not going to change anytime soon, since the Penguins seem to consistently pull off college free agents due to their strong reputation and development history.

Defense is where they need to work on stuff, but they've been addressing that in recent drafts. In the last 2 drafts, the Penguins have taken 8 defensemen (Hall, Jones, Almari, Masonius, Lauzon, Phillips, Palojarvi and Reilly) and that's what they have to do to fix their D prospect pool. Just take as many as you can, because you'll probably get a hit on one of these guys eventually. Almari, Lauzon, Masonius and Phillips all look promising on various levels, so I'm optimistic.

I want to see what Palojarvi does next year, he still hasn't played above the Finnish Junior leagues, so I really hope he's playing in the Liiga next year. Hell, I'd be happy if he's even in the Mestis.

Last edited:

wej20

Aug 14, 2008
UK
I thought I heard Guerin say that Bjorkqvist would be pro ready within a year or 2 when he was drafted, but it makes more sense for him to play out his upperclassmen years in college. I'm not overly surprised he's not turning pro early.

He should definitely play next year and barring a breakout he should probably go back for his final year. I still don't understand why Tiffels was signed last summer.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->