Prospect Info: Pittsburgh Penguins Prospects Thread: 2023-2024 Edition

Rudy Russo

Mar 16, 2018
ZZYZX, California
Seems super young for AHL ?
Is he even eligible to sign as a FA?
Or is it just the unsigned d+2 players that re-enter the draft?

Seems like a decent producer on a vad team. Almost 20 more points than the 2nd scorer on the team
From pensburgh site today-
One player without an agreement next season with the Penguin franchise is one of the more interesting in Jelsma. The undrafted 19-year old led the OHL’s Barrie Colts with 37 goals and 81 points in 67 games this season. If there’s any potential “Conor Sheary” type of longshot that goes from humble beginnings as an undrafted player on an AHL deal to the big time, it might be Jelsma. (And like Sheary, Jelsma is a short king listed at 5’9, 174 pounds).

The addition of the two European draft picks stands out as well. Jarventie and Kangas both put together strong seasons in Finland’s second-tier league, with Kangas also participating in the World Juniors this season. Getting them acclimated and in the mix with a North American pro team should be good for their continued development on longer-term plays on these late-round prospects.

Pittsburgh could also be sending first round prospects Owen Pickering and Brayden Yager to the AHL on ATO’s — if the schedules align. Both players are in the WHL playoffs and would have to see their teams eliminated before they can move on to play the rest of the season with the pros. Pickering made his AHL debut in the latter games of 2022-23, skating eight games with WB/S.

Harkins’ AHL stint will be a short-term deal, by virtue of not being on the AHL roster on the day of the trade deadline Harkins is ineligible to play in the AHL playoffs. However, Poulin, Jack St. Ivany, Ryan Shea and Valtteri Puustinen all are eligible to play in the post-season, though the Pens’ organization will surely be hoping those players are too busy with an NHL playoff run to be sent back to the AHL

Renton26

Jul 27, 2022
I thought I read somewhere that Zahorna would rather go back to Europe than play another season bouncing back and forth between the NHL and AHL.

Ryder71

Nov 24, 2017
I thought I read somewhere that Zahorna would rather go back to Europe than play another season bouncing back and forth between the NHL and AHL.
Good, he had his chance, he couldn't maintain a high level of play, he's a bust, bye bye Zoho, you suck man. You're a discredit to your country and your team, go home!

chethejet

Feb 4, 2012
Broz is coming along in picking up his play and scoring. Another year in college is fine. But all these smaller wingers need to add size and strength although Broz is decent size. But sure what the S&C program is but pretty sure it needs to be better. DOC actually looks smaller than last year and he needs a couple months in the weight room this off season. D has decent size but man just don't have to much coming that can bring physical play.

Last edited:

Jacob

as seen on TV
Feb 27, 2002
I think Broz would benefit more from another NCAA season than from turning pro, but yeah I also wouldn't want to lose him next August for nothing. If I were him I'd wait. And if I were the Penguins and I could get some sort of assurance that he would still be willing to sign next summer I'd wait.

Being that he's not even a Dubas pick I could see them not being super high on him, at least not high enough they're going to push him to turn pro if he doesn't want to.

Reactions: EVGENIMERLIN

UnrealMachine

Jul 9, 2012
Pittsburgh, USA
I think Broz would benefit more from another NCAA season than from turning pro, but yeah I also wouldn't want to lose him next August for nothing. If I were him I'd wait. And if I were the Penguins and I could get some sort of assurance that he would still be willing to sign next summer I'd wait.

Being that he's not even a Dubas pick I could see them not being super high on him, at least not high enough they're going to push him to turn pro if he doesn't want to.
You willing to play (and lose) the Blaine Byron sweepstakes, again?!?

Jacob

as seen on TV
Feb 27, 2002
His production is not great given the team he’s on but he has been clutch.

chethejet

Feb 4, 2012
His play has gotten appreciably better in Denver. His scoring is higher, He is more rounded and yes he scored a cluth goal last night. He has skill and brings the kind of play that Pens will need in a couple years. He is a second round pick a Dubas can't be indifferent to talent no matter who selected him.

CheckingLineCenter

Aug 10, 2018
At least from what I saw before I switched over he played a solid two-way game. So I mean, worst case....better to have guys with some actual talent in your bottom-6

He’s a better player than people realize. Idk if he’s going to be able to create space and offense at the next level but decent prospect nonetheless.

SEALBound

Fancy Gina Carano
Sponsor
Jun 13, 2010
He’s a better player than people realize. Idk if he’s going to be able to create space and offense at the next level but decent prospect nonetheless.
Adding him to WBS should help them at the very least. In my opinion, that's what he's been playing for - a chance to get on the AHL roster. I think he'll have to spend 1-2 years there and be a productive offensive player before they give him a look at the NHL. Hopefully he does it.

Gurglesons

Dec 18, 2009
San Diego, CA
last-train-tocool.blogspot.com
His play has gotten appreciably better in Denver. His scoring is higher, He is more rounded and yes he scored a cluth goal last night. He has skill and brings the kind of play that Pens will need in a couple years. He is a second round pick a Dubas can't be indifferent to talent no matter who selected him.

Can’t wait to see Acciari and Harkins plsyi g over him.

Dominance

99-66-4-9-87/97
Sep 30, 2017
The Land of Hockey

For context, I’ve been a fan of this kid since his minor hockey days. But I think that with his elite shot and ability to get it off from anywhere a fraction of a second after receiving the puck, and his intensity on the forecheck and around the net, he could hit Guentzel numbers of 35-35 with Crosby a couple years from now if 87 doesn’t fall off a cliff.

chethejet

Feb 4, 2012
the good news is FSG fired Hextall before he sunk the franchise. Yager will be a solid number 2 type center and adding talent the next 2 years is the priority. Moving players for younger talent and picks is now the mandate. Pens are done as SC contenders and now the needs are simple Rebuild over the next couple years and integrate the roster with size speed talent and depth. Pens don't have to stink here to do this. Smart moves and better development and quite frankly hiring a coach who will want to play the younger players to develop. Sullivan will be back and changes are needed, But he can't be the coach to move the team on a new course.

Ulf5

Feb 21, 2017

Idgaf if logic says this kid needs more time in lesser leagues to develop, add muscle/weight, adapt to the speed of the pro game etc. I'm a believer in old school development. Especially if Yager has to go back to juniors.
If I'm Dubas, I tell Sully to staple this kid to Sid's side for the entire year. There's no one better for Yager to learn from the proper training, physically and mentally, needed to make it through an NHL season. On top of that, the Pens' nutritionists and training staff will offer him the best chance at adding the needed muscle and weight to last the whole season. That shot would be deadly riding shotgun with Sid.
Then I'd sign DeBrusk for Malkin's line. He's always done extremely well with someone who creates space and a shooter such as Bugsy and Sykora. Even if he isn't the player he once was, should be an effective line.
Yager- Sid- Rust
Bunting-Malkin-DeBrusk
DOC-Eller(or new 3C)-Rakell

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad