Prospect Info: Pittsburgh Penguins Prospects Thread: 2023-2024 Edition

BlindWillyMcHurt

ti kallisti
May 31, 2004
Have you ever danced with the DOC by the pale moonlight?

2XflxzsPhNKtHYXpMzu.webp

• Haha
Reactions: GilbertSeinfeld

SEALBound

Fancy Gina Carano
Sponsor
Jun 13, 2010
Cruz into the transfer portal. I wonder if he wasn’t getting the playing time he wanted?

His numbers this year do not look great but I lack the context of his situation.
He was nearly PPG and was the leading scorer for Wisconsin...what else would we be looking for from a 4th rounder?

Reactions: pengineer

eXile3

Dec 12, 2020
He was nearly PPG and was the leading scorer for Wisconsin...what else would we be looking for from a 4th rounder?
Progression. It’s usually not a great sign if a young player plateaus that early in their career but in no way am I saying it’s means he’s a bust. Guys like Rust are a good example and had far less production but he’s probably an outlier. Just making an observation.

And it doesn’t matter where he was picked after he was picked. It’s now about performance. I think he’s an interesting prospect but there are several in front of him.

deakka

Nov 6, 2009
Seems super young for AHL ?
Is he even eligible to sign as a FA?
Or is it just the unsigned d+2 players that re-enter the draft?

Seems like a decent producer on a vad team. Almost 20 more points than the 2nd scorer on the team

Jacob

as seen on TV
Feb 27, 2002
I think he has to re-enter the draft and isn't eligible for an NHL deal until he gets drafted or passes through the draft.

Reactions: deakka

lokomotiv15

Jul 14, 2012
London, ontario
Seems super young for AHL ?
Is he even eligible to sign as a FA?
Or is it just the unsigned d+2 players that re-enter the draft?

Seems like a decent producer on a vad team. Almost 20 more points than the 2nd scorer on the team
That's funny. His parents house is two down from my moms place. Good kid, used to mow lawns for neighbours almost since he moved there and be out doing farm work the rest of the time as a 10-year old.

You are correct about re-entering the draft.

Yes, he is eligible. He went undrafted his draft year and D+1 year, so is free to sign an ATO anywhere in hopes of signing a ELC. Even if he does, he will go back to Barrie for one more season.
Since the OHL didn't have a season at all during COVID, it appears they aren't counting missing it against you for your 4 full years of junior hockey needed before going to the A.

Edit: I'm a bit murky on if you have to complete 3 draft eligible seasons or go through 3 drafts before becoming an Undrafted FA. I'll have to look into that more.

Last edited:

SEALBound

Fancy Gina Carano
Sponsor
Jun 13, 2010
Progression. It’s usually not a great sign if a young player plateaus that early in their career but in no way am I saying it’s means he’s a bust. Guys like Rust are a good example and had far less production but he’s probably an outlier. Just making an observation.

And it doesn’t matter where he was picked after he was picked. It’s now about performance. I think he’s an interesting prospect but there are several in front of him.
PPG as a freshman and sophomore is fine. Now if he's a senior and is scoring like he did as a freshman, that's another story.

CheckingLineCenter

Aug 10, 2018
I think y’all focus too much on numbers. Lucius led his team in scoring, that’s fine with me.

Much more interested in guys like he and Broz adding an extra step to their skating, more strength, etc.

Reactions: Peat and Jacob

Renton26

Jul 27, 2022
That's funny. His parents house is two down from my moms place. Good kid, used to mow lawns for neighbours almost since he moved there and be out doing farm work the rest of the time as a 10-year old.

You are correct about re-entering the draft.

Yes, he is eligible. He went undrafted his draft year and D+1 year, so is free to sign an ATO anywhere in hopes of signing a ELC. Even if he does, he will go back to Barrie for one more season.
Since the OHL didn't have a season at all during COVID, it appears they aren't counting missing it against you for your 4 full years of junior hockey needed before going to the A.

Edit: I'm a bit murky on if you have to complete 3 draft eligible seasons or go through 3 drafts before becoming an Undrafted FA. I'll have to look into that more.
You would think Dubas still has some contacts in the OHL besides any Penguin scouts that think he might be worth an ELC. Also I think there’s about 6 or 7 guys who’s ELC expire after the season like Jordan Frasca who haven’t panned and will either be offered an AHL contract only or told to move on. So if Jelsma has a decent showing in the Calder Cup playoffs he could earn an ELC.

lokomotiv15

Jul 14, 2012
London, ontario
You would think Dubas still has some contacts in the OHL besides any Penguin scouts that think he might be worth an ELC. Also I think there’s about 6 or 7 guys who’s ELC expire after the season like Jordan Frasca who haven’t panned and will either be offered an AHL contract only or told to move on. So if Jelsma has a decent showing in the Calder Cup playoffs he could earn an ELC.
Yeah, I’ll also assume some of that holdover scouting team probably had a good look at him last year when they were following Vierling before signing him after Barrie’s season ended, too.
Kind of a random well to keep drawing from but hopefully we get some good free hockey players.

CheckingLineCenter

Aug 10, 2018
I feel if he plays another season at Denver he may not sign with the penguins.

Definitely the worry but I like the idea of Broz being the guy at 1C there next year.

I’d expect the Pens only let that happen if they feel really good about him signing though.

Tbh- this is a good spot so I could see it. Going to be a lot of jobs for the taking here the next 3-5 years.

Reactions: Rudy Russo

Rudy Russo

Mar 16, 2018
ZZYZX, California
Definitely the worry but I like the idea of Broz being the guy at 1C there next year.

I’d expect the Pens only let that happen if they feel really good about him signing though.

Tbh- this is a good spot so I could see it. Going to be a lot of jobs for the taking here the next 3-5 years.
I've looked at the penguins players who this season have played most of their games in the AHL or the ECHL. Below is the list of the players who are RFA, UFA or who have another year left with the pens organization.
RFA after this season- Andonovski, Poulin, St. Ivany, Cajkovic, Rathbone, Plasek, Hamaliuk and Gruden.
Signed till next season- Frasca, Gauthier, Svejkovsky, Johnstone and Kooppanen.
UFA after this season- Hinostroza, Fedun, Quellet, Waeber, Big Z
I feel the pens re-sign Poulin and St. Ivany, and maybe Gruden and Rathbone. (I read that Dubas is high on Rathbone.) For the UFA I can see the pens re-signing Big Z and one of their veteran d-man to a two way deal.

Reactions: CheckingLineCenter

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad