Prospect Info: Pittsburgh Penguins Prospects Thread: 2023-2024 Edition

Zirakzigil

Global Moderator
Jul 5, 2010
Canada
giphy.gif

Prospects? What Prospects?
sullivan-yes.gif

I'd let Poulin marinate a bit in the AHL this season. Let him get his confidence back with the increased level of talent on the team.

I think it'd be fair to tell him, "Hey, come into camp and compete, but we're going to keep you in WBS until at least January. We'll put you in all situations, give you top line minutes. Work your tail off, shake off the rust, get into a groove, and don't worry about trying to earn a call-up. Just play, and we'll see where you are in January."

Just take the pressure off the kid after such a tumultuous year.

Poulin isn't going to be in Pittsburgh to start the year unless he looks like a dead cert to be one of the league's best 3Cs this year. Just the waivers system for you.

How soon he comes up depends on injuries more than anything else. We'll see how he takes to it when they come.

I think it also depends on how the team is doing. If they are rolling and see a need that could be filled to get this team to where it needs to be to win I can absolutely see Dubas go get that piece by whatever means necessary.

At the end of the day the goal is to win a cup, if this team shows that it's close I expect them to make it happen. Let's face it, it going to be a long time after Sid/Geno leave we see any chance of anything

Poulin is intriguing and I am by no means giving up on him yet. He has talent but it's been a rocky road.

He'd really have to wow to get up here but then again after Sid/Geno our C depth is pretty weak so there could always be an injury.

Like the kid and am rooting for him. A strong WBS team should help his game.

I don’t see anything negative about his first pro season. Hot start, cold middle, hot again at the end and great POs. Mostly ES production on a kinda mediocre team while still adjusting to center.

Almost identical to Puus but he’s 2 years younger. Probably more ES too?

Emil Jarventie is on the finland roster for the U20 five nations tournament in sweden.

They play Slovakia today in their first game. Pinnineimi isnt playing, and from the sound of it a lot of nations is sending theit B-squads/bubble guys.

So this might be a chance for him to at least play himself into contention for the WJC.

Finland won 5-2. stat watching tells me Jarventie had 1+1

Are any of those college FAs left? Or did they all sign.

2-1 win for Finland yesterday. Jarventie with the primary assist on the GWG

Not a whole lot. but wome of them are on AHL deals, whick probably makes them still availiable for an NHL deal. Not sure how usual that is tho. probably more usual for another team to sign an AHL deal player after a full season in the AHL. And i mean, if teams were interested in signing a apleyer to an ELC they probably woudlnt have settled for an AHL deal in the first place

I believe Boston signed one and two signed with the Marlies.

Five Nations finished with Finland as the winners. Emil Jarventie had 2 goals and 3 assists in his 4 games, which looks to have led the Finns there quite handily. Doesn't mean a whole bunch given its all B teams but hey, still take it.

Did anything ever come of Murashov changing teams? Nothing on eliteprospects indicating it.

Nothing that I've seen indicated a switch has happened.

Ilyin played on the 3rd line today. Team lost 6-4 but he had an assist on the last goal.

Last year's KHL points total already equalled.

DesertedPenguin

Mar 11, 2007
When did Pickering get injured? Also two years in a row. Of course...
I am very underwhelmed by Pickering so far, largely because he never seems to be healthy. I know he grew quickly, so maybe his body is still adapting, but he's not looking like some untouchable asset.

Far more intrigued by Yager and Blomquist, provided the latter's own injury history is behind him.

Reactions: Andy99

Gurglesons

Dec 18, 2009
San Diego, CA
last-train-tocool.blogspot.com
I am very underwhelmed by Pickering so far, largely because he never seems to be healthy. I know he grew quickly, so maybe his body is still adapting, but he's not looking like some untouchable asset.

Far more intrigued by Yager and Blomquist, provided the latter's own injury history is behind him.

Why? He's done everything you'd want from a prospect taken in his range since he was drafted and likely is going to be a top pairing guy on the Canadian WJC team.

Not really sure most prospects taken in the 20s are ever "untouchable assets".

DesertedPenguin

Mar 11, 2007
Why? He's done everything you'd want from a prospect taken in his range since he was drafted and likely is going to be a top pairing guy on the Canadian WJC team.

Not really sure most prospects taken in the 20s are ever "untouchable assets".
Some of it isn't his fault - Swift Current keeps missing the playoffs, so he hasn't had a chance to play postseason games. He was passed over for the world junior team last December. And he didn't exactly impress in his AHL cameo.

Maybe my expectations are too high, but I was expecting more, even from a late first round pick.

Reactions: Andy99

Al Smith

Apr 28, 2012

DIdn't Blomquist suffer a concussion? If so, I would be concerned over the same injury recurring given the NHL's inconsistent protection of goalies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad