Prospect Info: Pittsburgh Penguins Prospect Discussion

Status
Not open for further replies.

BlindWillyMcHurt

ti kallisti
May 31, 2004
HA! I'm actually pretty lukewarm towards Zlobin's chances of being a contributor at the NHL level. But I still like his chances more than 75% of the team's forward prospects. And he is one of the few pure skill guys in the system.

I realize that WB/S's wings are decent (at least in a relative sense) and veteran-laden. But I hope he doesn't have to toil too long in Wheeling due to what would be perceived as some sort of logjam by the organization... because guys like Conner and, yes... TK... don't have a future in Pittsburgh. Zlobin might.

One way or the other... I appreciate the response.

td_ice

Peter shows the way
Aug 13, 2005
USA
Zolnierczyk-Megna-Conner
Uher-Carman-Kostopoulos
Sylvester-Manderson-Kuhnhackl
Farnham-Payerl-Thompson

For those who watch WBS, are these really the lines? Doesn't seem like much offensive potential at all.

With Gibbons and Ebbet up, the lines have been all jumbled up.

Stecz

Jul 28, 2010
HA! I'm actually pretty lukewarm towards Zlobin's chances of being a contributor at the NHL level. But I still like his chances more than 75% of the team's forward prospects. And he is one of the few pure skill guys in the system.

I realize that WB/S's wings are decent (at least in a relative sense) and veteran-laden. But I hope he doesn't have to toil too long in Wheeling due to what would be perceived as some sort of logjam by the organization... because guys like Conner and, yes... TK... don't have a future in Pittsburgh. Zlobin might.

One way or the other... I appreciate the response.

I'm with you on Zlobin's chances, but like you said, he's one of the few skill guys in the system to get excited about. Not got much else to look towards! I don't think he'll spend too long down there if he keeps up his production. Sylvester, Manderson and Carman are on AHL only deals (maybe PTOs too, not sure).

Crafton

Liver-Eating Johnson
May 6, 2010
San Francisco
'Kleiderschrank auf Kufen' is in the HAUS!

– J.C. Lipon of St. John’s was suspended two games for the check to the head of LW Tom Kuhnhackl he delivered in Saturday’s game. Kuhnhackl seemed fine at practice this week. His dad, Erich Kuhnhackl, has been in town for the last 10 days or so, and the elder Kuhnhackl was at practice today. He’s a German hockey legend, you know. More about that at some point this week. Probably in my weekly Friday Morning Faceoff notebook.

http://blogs.citizensvoice.com/peng...1/26/gibbons-rowney-leblond-despres-etc-1126/

ByeBye

Jul 13, 2010
That's why we waived D'Agostini, to make space for the Wardrobe!

It all makes sense now. He has the size, grit, goalscoring and playmaking ability and he is a veteran of 21 pro seasons. What else can Bylsma ask for?

Burgs

Sep 10, 2005
How were they? Nobody ever talks about our prospects.

Jarry stopped 15 of 17 shots, and Pouliot had 1 goal and 1 assist in a 4-2 win for the WHL. In the previous game (which the Russians won 3-2) Pouliot was scoreless and a -2, and Jarry was only backing up Eric Comrie.

And talking about junior players, Matia Marcantuoni suffered a shoulder injury (apparently from a hard hit) Nov 17 and is expected to miss about 3 weeks.

Last edited:

wej20

Aug 14, 2008
UK
Wouldn't be a season without Macaroni missing some time with an injury.

Abashaw

Jan 14, 2013
One of the goals scored on Jarry was off a clear cut breakaway and I believe the shot when through his five hole. As for the other goal, I think Pouliot got walked by the russian who started a wrap around but then cut in front of the net, puck went off Jarry's pad, off the post and in. Mind you the net was completely off its moorings when the puck hit the post (the post was moved about a couple inches forward and the puck wouldn't have hit the post had the net not moved) and in so it probably shouldn't have counted.

penguins2946*

Jarry let in 1 goal on 16 shots today in Edmonton's 2-1 win. He hasn't let in 3 goals in a game in 15 games (since October 5th), and only had a save% of below .900 in one of those 15 games. Over that span, he's 11-3-1 with a 1.33 GAA and a .946 save%. Wow.

cygnus47

Sep 14, 2013
Jarry let in 1 goal on 16 shots today in Edmonton's 2-1 win. He hasn't let in 3 goals in a game in 15 games (since October 5th), and only had a save% of below .900 in one of those 15 games. Over that span, he's 11-3-1 with a 1.33 GAA and a .946 save%. Wow.

He's the real deal.

ByeBye

Jul 13, 2010

It's also pretty awesome to look at the monthly totals in his game-by-game log. Almost can't get any better than November, I hope he keeps it up.

#1GuinFan

Apr 4, 2003
canada
Visit site
Gotta think those numbers put him into strong consideration for the WJC's camp too, Pens may have two tenders there if Murray gets the invite as well. Don't think we've ever been in that position before.

penguins2946*

I'm thinking it will be Comrie and Patterson with Jarry as the 3rd goalie. Fucale has mediocre numbers (sub-900 save%) and Murray has only had 1 good season after 3 mediocre seasons. That's just IMO though.

zidell*

That 2nd round is nearly as good as some first rounds. Eriksson, Bergeron, Weber, Backes, Howard... even Carle and Lapierre.

Comments like this are nothing more than 20/20 hindsight and prove nothing.

jmelm

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 27, 2002
Toronto, Canada
How were they? Nobody ever talks about our prospects.

lol, that's exactly what this thread is for. In fact, I think I can be guilty of going on long rants about some of our prospects, so why not continue that trend ;)

Jarry: this will be shorter, because he only played one of the 2 games, didn't face too many shots after the first 2 goals, so it's hard to comment on a small sample size. He's good and confident at handling the puck. The first (breakaway) goal beat him clean through the legs, and you can say what you want about that, but it would have been good for him to make that save. It was one of the very first shots of the game though, so perhaps it's hard to come in cold and make that save, but it wasn't a crazy deke, just a clean 5-hole shot. The 2nd goal, I agree, absolutely should not have counted. BUT, Jarry should never have let that puck through his body anyway. It's only because it squeaked through that it caught the post and went in. I would say it shouldn't have counted, but he also should have stopped it. The rest of the game, he was not tested a lot but held the fort and didn't allow anymore goals. I think a lot of that credit goes towards just how much the WHL team carried the play and didn't give up too many shots against.

Pouliot: OK, I've got one major concern about this guy: his speed. No, he's not a huge player, but he's got a wider than normal body (think a little like Kasparaitis style body, maybe not quite as wide, but you get the just of it). He's got A+ hockey IQ, he's good positionally, and he's a pretty chippy player who doesn't mind the rough stuff. He moves the puck well and seems to make the right decision most of the time. He's got a pretty good shot, too, which we saw on the PP goal, although he's definitely quite pass-first on the PP. I didn't see any of his shots get blocked, though, so he's probably pretty heads up and smart in that regard to know when he's got a lane. Perhaps the best compliment to Pouliot is the fact that Brent Sutter had him 1st over the boards on both the PP and the PK, so he viewed him, at least for those games, as a top-pairing guy. But...

So Pouliot is a "great" skater in the sense that he's got pretty good quickness across short distances (traversing a small distance to step up on a play, pinch in, get somewhere in the defensive zone, etc.), and is a very elegant skater in the sense that his turns, pivots, the way he moves, etc., are all very fluid and smooth. But my biggest concern is his overall speed. He just does not have that extra gear. If he steps up into a play on a bad pinch or gets caught, most of the time he's got no chance of getting back into the play. It's also seen in the sense that he does not have the type of escapability to break away from opposing forecheckers with a lot of speed if he's rushing the puck. But it's most apparent when he has to face an offensive player with serious speed coming at him, and even more so when he has to recover (think about how Letang can recover if he has to get back).

This wouldn't concern me if he was a big player -- think about Larry Murphy for example, who was not particularly fast, but perhaps had enough range & reach to make up for it. But for a guy like Pouliot who loves to jump into the play as much as he does and is 5'11, this concerns me a lot, especially when he's at the NHL level and dealing with much faster players. And he doesn't have those really quick strides that some smaller guys like a Tyler Kennedy has with quick feet, or the type of long legs & long stride that allowed a Dustin Jeffrey to really improve his skating. Now, that being said: I don't know exactly how much he has/hasn't done in terms of power skating and/or off-ice conditioning to work on this issue. Can he work on his lower body power to get the kind of power Letang has in his stride?

There are 2 ways scouts look at players physical performance at the NHL combine: they either see a guy who is in great shape and excellent level of conditioning, or they see a guy who is not very physically developed or in exceptional shape and think one of 2 things: either that player raises some concerns about what performance level he can reach, or that there's a lot of room for growth if they work on their physical conditioning. I really hope in Pouliot's case, it's the latter. And of course I don't just mean upper-body hockey strength to play physically, because that part is easy. I just hope he can significantly improve his skating speed because I think this is the biggest area of weakness for him when I look at him now and try to project him at the NHL level. Also, when you draft or have smaller/skilled players, you like for them to make up for lack of ideal size with a certain level of speed that Pouliot just does not possess at this time.

I really look forward to seeing what he can do to improve in this area (and I'm sure some level of improvement must be possible) because I think it will be a big factor. He may also need some time to physically mature in the AHL. I would expect him to spend at least a season there, if not a full 2 or 3 years. Don't get me wrong: he's obviously a player, but I think this might just determine if he's a really good 3rd pairing Dman and PP-QB, or if he's a legit top-3/4 Dman.

Tender Rip

Wears long pants
Feb 12, 2007
Shanghai, China
Thanks for setting me straight.

th

66-30-33

Jan 24, 2006
Victoria, BC
Thanks Jmelm, a nice read. :D

BTW when i said nobody talks about our prospects, i meant the prospect board to see what everyone has to say, instead of just Pens fans.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad