Prospect Info: Pittsburgh Penguins Prospect Discussion

Status
Not open for further replies.

td_ice

Peter shows the way
Aug 13, 2005
USA
He is so raw, that its almost impossible to even begin to try and predict what kind of player he will be.

We know he is skilled and extremely fast. I've seen enough of his skillet to think he can be a top six guy, but again as I said a couple of weeks ago, I rarely talked about him on here.

A lot of times guys who are fast and skilled, don't like to go to the dirty area to score and when they get to the NHL, they flame out.

One thing I've always liked about Megna is his willingness to go to the net. TD and Zen will back me up on that I would think. That said, he wasn't productive last season like you alluded to. However, this season the production seems to be coming along. So again, who knows what his potential is.

If he's a diamond in the rough, great. If not, the Pens risked nothing by signing him.

Yeah, both Megna and Gibbons, while not overall gritty guys, neither is afraid to play in high traffic areas.

It sucks we don't have any blue chip forward prospects, but one thing that has allowed is the availability of ice time for guys like Megna and Gibbons, to play a lot, and get a full season under their belt, and improve their craft. As last year, both were extremely raw. Now they have played extremely well in the early going at WBS, and have earned looks with the big club. Good stuff.

Jag68Sid87

Sullivan gots to go!
Oct 1, 2003
Montreal, QC
Yeah, both Megna and Gibbons, while not overall gritty guys, neither is afraid to play in high traffic areas.

It sucks we don't have any blue chip forward prospects, but one thing that has allowed is the availability of ice time for guys like Megna and Gibbons, to play a lot, and get a full season under their belt, and improve their craft. As last year, both were extremely raw. Now they have played extremely well in the early going at WBS, and have earned looks with the big club. Good stuff.

Even if we had bluechip forward prospects, they might not get the ice time over more marginal prospects and AHL journeymen. It's how we roll.

Freeptop

Jun 17, 2009
Pittsburgh, PA
Even if we had bluechip forward prospects, they might not get the ice time over more marginal prospects and AHL journeymen. It's how we roll.

The Pens have had one "bluechip" forward prospect in the last few years. Tonight, he's slated to play on Crosby's line.

Let's not resort to strawmen around here. The Pens don't seem to put the project prospects in a position to succeed, but the actual bluechip ones certainly don't get passed over for "marginal prospects and AHL journeymen."

Honour Over Glory

Fire Sully
Jan 30, 2012
I don't know if it's been mentioned, but Hartzell was promoted to WBS.

He looked like a guy shaking off injury rust in his 1st game, but after that, he was everything he was advertised to be. I am really hoping he can continue to play beast mode and earn a call-up by January.

Jag68Sid87

Sullivan gots to go!
Oct 1, 2003
Montreal, QC
He looked like a guy shaking off injury rust in his 1st game, but after that, he was everything he was advertised to be. I am really hoping he can continue to play beast mode and earn a call-up by January.

To do what, though? Wear a ball cap and sit on a stool? He's better off staying in W-B/S, no?

Besides, Zatkoff's last start was a shutout. Yet we don't trust him to play in an obvious back-to-back situation this past weekend vs. Nsh and then at NJ.

So, not sure what calling up a younger goalie would achieve at this point.

Honour Over Glory

Fire Sully
Jan 30, 2012
To do what, though? Wear a ball cap and sit on a stool? He's better off staying in W-B/S, no?

Besides, Zatkoff's last start was a shutout. Yet we don't trust him to play in an obvious back-to-back situation this past weekend vs. Nsh and then at NJ.

So, not sure what calling up a younger goalie would achieve at this point.

For a game maybe, I never stated he should be a permanent call-up, just that he could earn a call-up, a taste of the NHL to see where he's at because he's not some 19 or 20yr old prospect, he could/should be closer to being NHL ready.

While Zatkoff started off rough, he had 1 good game in his entire NHL career, let's not exactly write him off as some legit NHL back-up now, he's not all that proven yet and I can see why the team didn't play him in a back 2 back, they're trying to get back to winning and don't want to throw a kid to the wolves while the team struggles, let's hope that was the reasoning and not something stupid. But I do think Zats has the potential to be a solid back-up, still needs more time though. But between him and Hartzell, if Hartzell shows he can play in the NHL with a few call-ups this season, hopefully, he's the #2 next year.

Zen Arcade

Bigger than Kiss
Sep 21, 2004
Pittsburgh
He is so raw, that its almost impossible to even begin to try and predict what kind of player he will be.

We know he is skilled and extremely fast. I've seen enough of his skillet to think he can be a top six guy, but again as I said a couple of weeks ago, I rarely talked about him on here.

A lot of times guys who are fast and skilled, don't like to go to the dirty area to score and when they get to the NHL, they flame out.

One thing I've always liked about Megna is his willingness to go to the net. TD and Zen will back me up on that I would think. That said, he wasn't productive last season like you alluded to. However, this season the production seems to be coming along. So again, who knows what his potential is.

If he's a diamond in the rough, great. If not, the Pens risked nothing by signing him.

Yeah, one thing you could never question about Megna, as frustrating as he was to watch at times last season, was his work ethic.

He'd drive to the net, battle along the boards and pay the price to win battles for pucks.

jmelm

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 27, 2002
Toronto, Canada

I think Megna is a legit NHL player. He may not be a "blue-chipper" in the sense he's got elite or very high-end potential, like a Beau Bennett, but I think he's for sure a player. He doesn't have any particular weaknesses that can't be improved, and he's very versatile: can play both special teams, centre or wing, tremendous speed, has good size and goes to the net, etc. I think he's a better prospect than, say, Macaroni, while possessing many of the same attributes. I am excited about this player, and think he will be a full time player on our team next season.

I also think that Archibald and Kuhnhackl (provided he stays healthy and continue his current trajectory and off-ice conditioning) are both sure-fire NHLers. Beyond that, I'm not as convinced (yet) about guys like Sundqvist, Blueger, Guentzel, etc. But I do believe that Megna, Archibald and Kuhnhackl all look like they will be NHL players at this point and not too very far out either (all within the next 1-2 years), IMO.

Honour Over Glory

Fire Sully
Jan 30, 2012
I think Megna is a legit NHL player. He may not be a "blue-chipper" in the sense he's got elite or very high-end potential, like a Beau Bennett, but I think he's for sure a player. He doesn't have any particular weaknesses that can't be improved, and he's very versatile: can play both special teams, centre or wing, tremendous speed, has good size and goes to the net, etc. I think he's a better prospect than, say, Macaroni, while possessing many of the same attributes. I am excited about this player, and think he will be a full time player on our team next season.

I also think that Archibald and Kuhnhackl (provided he stays healthy and continue his current trajectory and off-ice conditioning) are both sure-fire NHLers. Beyond that, I'm not as convinced (yet) about guys like Sundqvist, Blueger, Guentzel, etc. But I do believe that Megna, Archibald and Kuhnhackl all look like they will be NHL players at this point and not too very far out either (all within the next 1-2 years), IMO.

What about Wilson?

jmelm

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 27, 2002
Toronto, Canada
What about Wilson?

Wilson is a nice prospect, but I would not put him in the "sure thing" category. I hope I'm wrong and he becomes a player, because god knows we need more wingers and just more assets in general. I hope he becomes a player, and I do have him along with Blueger & Sundqvist just behind those other guys, but I'm not convinced he's at the same level right now or that his game will translate.

Megna and Kuhnhackl are both already in the AHL and have been productive to varying degrees there, including a stint in the NHL for Megna where he looked good. Kuhnhackl has improved in considerable ways in the areas he was weak (strength, skating, etc.), and Archibald is just lighting it up this year and has very specific skills which I think will translate. It's too soon to tell, though, for guys like Wilson (who isn't yet putting numbers up at the same pace this year) and those other guys. Hopefully by the end of the year or by next season, we'll see signs that they look more like sure bets.

deakka

Nov 6, 2009
Nice speed there by Archibald.
The defender looking as fast as Hal Gill might have Archibald looking faster than he is tho :P

Honour Over Glory

Fire Sully
Jan 30, 2012
Wilson is a nice prospect, but I would not put him in the "sure thing" category. I hope I'm wrong and he becomes a player, because god knows we need more wingers and just more assets in general. I hope he becomes a player, and I do have him along with Blueger & Sundqvist just behind those other guys, but I'm not convinced he's at the same level right now or that his game will translate.

Megna and Kuhnhackl are both already in the AHL and have been productive to varying degrees there, including a stint in the NHL for Megna where he looked good. Kuhnhackl has improved in considerable ways in the areas he was weak (strength, skating, etc.), and Archibald is just lighting it up this year and has very specific skills which I think will translate. It's too soon to tell, though, for guys like Wilson (who isn't yet putting numbers up at the same pace this year) and those other guys. Hopefully by the end of the year or by next season, we'll see signs that they look more like sure bets.

Kuhn is the guy I want to see get called up next, he has the size and hopefully he's using it in WBS right now to add the needed size and skill to the bottom 6 that this team desperately needs.

I wonder if Shero is still in the giving kids in WBS a chance, mood.

MrBurghundy

I may be older but I'm never forgetting #47 & #41
Oct 5, 2009
I Love Scotch
Kuhn is the guy I want to see get called up next, he has the size and hopefully he's using it in WBS right now to add the needed size and skill to the bottom 6 that this team desperately needs.

From what I hear, Kuhn isn't overly skilled though. Just has a good shot and needs to learn the pro game more.

Honour Over Glory

Fire Sully
Jan 30, 2012
Also, sign Dane Fox ASAP.

I rather not read what HF has to say about him, so care to tell us folks why he should be signed?

From what I hear, Kuhn isn't overly skilled though. Just has a good shot and needs to learn the pro game more.

I saw a fair amount of his games in the OHL, he has some skill, he's a grinder that has an amazing shot selection and he can crush people whenever he decides to use that part of his game. Not sure if any of that has changed since he went pro, I have only seen 1 WBS game this season.

Randy Butternubs

Mar 15, 2008
Morningside
I rather not read what HF has to say about him, so care to tell us folks why he should be signed?

From what I've seen, good hands around the net -- a real good finisher. Physical and won't put up with the other team's ****. Defensively responsible, but needs to work on his skating.

From what I've heard, he'll be an issue off the ice. So there's that.

Ugene Magic

EVIL LAUGH
Oct 17, 2008
Pittsburgh
This is the right choice. Kid hasn't played in forever, so let him go down there for a conditioning stint where he can get big minutes and try to gain some confidence.

Sucks Zlobin was sent down, but I'm sure it's for the best to get back up to par.

Saw he had three assists right off the bat the first two games for the, Nailer's.

Unless you are able to watch the Nailer's, TD, does anyone else get to see them much here? Would really like to see where he's at these first 3/10 games he plays.

Otherwise, I guess I'll have to stat watch.:(

http://penslabyrinth.com/2013/11/16/pens-hidden-talent-nailers-forward-anton-zlobin/

While various prospects’ receive the notoriety amidst the Pens’ organization, there’s one forward who might be the biggest hidden gem of them all.
His name — Anton Zlobin.

That's what I'm hoping for, he turns out to be that gem.

Big plus might just be he's close enough to actually make a trip and go see him play.

I'll have to see what doesn't collide with the Pens.

td_ice

Peter shows the way
Aug 13, 2005
USA
Sucks Zlobin was sent down, but I'm sure it's for the best to get back up to par.

Saw he had three assists right off the bat the first two games for the, Nailer's.

Unless you are able to watch the Nailer's, TD, does anyone else get to see them much here? Would really like to see where he's at these first 3/10 games he plays.

http://penslabyrinth.com/2013/11/16/pens-hidden-talent-nailers-forward-anton-zlobin/

That's what I'm hoping for, he turns out to be that gem.

Big plus might just be he's close enough to actually make a trip and go see him play.

I'll have to see what doesn't collide with the Pens.

Sorry. I only watched the 1st period of that game that he played, so I saw him skate about 3 shifts. Nothing of note to report.

jmelm

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 27, 2002
Toronto, Canada

Honestly, that has to be THE WORST article I have ever read. It is 100% conjecture, and with a website name like Penslabyrinth, it's obvious that the writer is 100% biased. His statements that "Zlobin is the biggest gem" or whatever do not originate from any source in the Pens' scouting staff or management, nor any other team's or independent scouts. It's total garbage fan hyperbole.

I'll be as thrilled as the next guy if Zlobin turns out to be a player, and I've got my fingers crossed like everyone else, but there is currently, due to him being out for injury, ZERO evidence that he will be an impact player at even the AHL level, let along the NHL. And it's not like the Pens stepped up and took him in the 1st or 2nd round, indicating that they specifically targeted this player which would indicate they are particularly high on him. He was their very last pick in that draft year. They rolled the dice on a long shot, and that's the whole story for now. Let's re-visit this if/when he starts to make an impact in WBS, but for now, this is simply fiction.

Nice speed there by Archibald.
The defender looking as fast as Hal Gill might have Archibald looking faster than he is tho :P

I remember when Archibald was drafted, and looking at the articles & reports leading up to the draft, I interpreted him as a Phil Kessel-lite: great, great speed (so I don't think it's an artifact of the video) and was a big goal scorer in high school. His size and level of competition he was playing at, which made him difficult to gauge as a prospect, were the things that led him to drop. It appears he has done a great job of making up for his less than idea size with some added grit and solid two-way play, but it shouldn't really be surprising at all that his speed and goal scoring ability carried over -- at least to the college level. Now, let's see what he can do at the Pro level, but I am optimistic. He just has so many tools, and seems to have the type of work ethic to be successful.

Kuhnhackl is a guy who simply needs to play hockey. I don't view him as the type of player like a Despres or Dumoulin or Brian Gibbons, where you can say they've paid their dues and seem to be particularly great at the AHL level and ready for the big show. The most important thing for Kuhnhackl is to get good minutes in a variety of opportunities with top-6 players and hopefully some work, eventually, on both special teams. So I don't think this has any thing to do with Shero's mood or ideology. This is literally Kuhn's rookie year in the AHL. He may not be particularly far away, and may get a cup of coffee if he performs and there were some injuries, but he's exactly where he should be right now to develop his game in the best way possible.

I actually think Kuhn has good skill; very good skill actually. But his skill is less of the obvious variety, in that he's not going to wow and dazzle you with crazy hands or one on one moves like Crosby, Malkin, Bennett, etc. Kuhn's skills are very much aligned with James Neal. Neal is highly skilled, but not in those obvious ways. He makes those short little give & go passes. He goes to the net, but also knows how to hide & fade away to get open. And yes, he's got a hell of a shot, and he's got great hockey sense and instincts. And he's got fantastic size. I think he's actually maybe even closer to 6'3, because he looked noticeably bigger than Samuelsson and closer to Despres' height when the guys were all hugging after a goal the other night. I think this guy's hands and skills will show more as he gets to learn the pro game and gets used to the speed.

The skill is all there, so I'll be happy if he's just keeping it simple and working hard. The good news is that the Pens definitely see the potential in this player (given the way they spoke of him at the rookie camp, mentioned he could be a player on the horizon, etc.). And what's great is that Kuhn is getting top-6 ice time, PP time, and the chance to play with good players. So he's being put in a position to succeed, and I think by the time the season is all said and done, he will take a solid step forward. Hopefully by next year, or at the latest the following year, he'll be in a position where he's seriously challenging for a top-9 spot. In 3 years, I would love to see the following (pending acquisitions of real wingers, of course ;) )

Kunitz--Crosby--Bennett
Kuhnhackl--Malkin--Neal
Dupuis--Sutter--Archibald

I think that's a good line up that would offer great balance, and is also in the realm of being realistic. I think Megna has the chance to be a part of that conversation, as well, which is why I say the trio of Megna, Archie & Kuhn are legit NHL prospects, and all guys who have the potential to make an impact and make the team over the next 1-2 years (unlike guys like Guentzel, Blueger and others who at this point are less certain, but certainly further away from the NHL).

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad