Prospect Info: Pittsburgh Penguins Prospect Discussion

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jag68Sid87

Sullivan gots to go!
Oct 1, 2003
Montreal, QC
I watched a bit of the game, he didn't look great on the goal I saw but as a team the OHL didn't really show up. It was weird. Kerby Rychel looked pretty good, the rest were a bunch of meh.

I wouldn't put much stock into this game at all. I mean, Connor McDavid was fairly ordinary for the most part. Most of the OHL team looked disinterested.

Jacob

as seen on TV
Feb 27, 2002
Hat trick for Dea, +1, and apparently 21 for 27 on face offs tonight.

penguins2946*

Edmonton is down 6-1 through half the game . The weird thing is that Jarry isn't even dressed. Don't know what's up.

jmelm

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 27, 2002
Toronto, Canada
Good article on Harrington from a week back that people may have missed:

http://www.timesleader.com/news/penguins/984710/A-model-of-consistency

Can't wait to have this kid on the big team. He and Maatta on the blueline might be too good to be true.

Thanks for posting. I like this part in particular:

That consistency and professionalism has earned Harrington minutes on the power play, an opportunity that he didn’t get to experience too often in juniors, where he was a shutdown defenseman and penalty killer.

While he didn’t mind the important defensive responsibilities, Harrington always considered himself a two-way player and is happy to have the chance to show his offensive upside.

“I always thought it was important to continue to develop the offensive part of my game,” he said. “Here, they’re giving me that opportunity to round out my game and I really enjoy it.”

Harrington’s ability to move the puck well, play smart and execute and simple first pass out of the zone are his proven defensive attributes. Now, Hynes said, his strong shot from the point and ability to get it to the net are reasons Harrington is seeing time on the power play.

Sounds a little bit familiar ;) Nice to see Harry get the credit and opportunity he deserves.

Solution

May 20, 2010
Cheswick, PA
Thanks for posting. I like this part in particular:

Sounds a little bit familiar ;) Nice to see Harry get the credit and opportunity he deserves.

No need to toot your own horn. :) In all seriousness, you have been saying that for about a year and a half now whenever Harrington comes up. Too bad Prophet of Glennie or whatever he calls himself now can not accept it. Only Ryan Murphy can be the exalted junior defensive prospect.

jmelm

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 27, 2002
Toronto, Canada
No need to toot your own horn. :) In all seriousness, you have been saying that for about a year and a half now whenever Harrington comes up. Too bad Prophet of Glennie or whatever he calls himself now can not accept it. Only Ryan Murphy can be the exalted junior defensive prospect.

haha, I know, just thought it was funny, and great to see that the Pens -- though not surprisingly at all with John Hynes behind the bench -- are getting it right. And it is nice to see that Harrington's smarts and the offense that come with it are translating to the higher levels.

Burgs

Sep 10, 2005
Skillful-minded biscuit scorer Anton Z. scored his first goal (and an assist) for Wheeling yesterday, now has 6 points in 4 games.

And Harrison Ruopp has started kicking ass and taking names with the Nailers. First career pro fight yesterday:

Freeptop

Jun 17, 2009
Pittsburgh, PA
Looks like the long (although fairly rapid), downward spiral of Carl Sneep is complete.

http://www.idahostatesman.com/2013/11/22/2885758/steelheads-lose-two-players-hit.html

Later second round picks in 2006: Neuvirth, McGinn, Kulemin, Petry, Enroth, Matthias, Lucic, Anisimov, Weber (Mike), Joensuu, McBain.

Just thank Greg Malone and his scouts, the same team who went into the 2003 draft and came out with Ryan Stone, Jonathan Filewich and Dan Carcillo in the second and third rounds. Stone was picked one spot ahead of Loui Eriksson, no less.

WVP

Mar 22, 2004
Just thank Greg Malone and his scouts, the same team who went into the 2003 draft and came out with Ryan Stone, Jonathan Filewich and Dan Carcillo in the second and third rounds. Stone was picked one spot ahead of Loui Eriksson, no less.

That 2nd round is nearly as good as some first rounds. Eriksson, Bergeron, Weber, Backes, Howard... even Carle and Lapierre.

BlindWillyMcHurt

ti kallisti
May 31, 2004
The Pens did a pretty crappy job with the 2003 draft.

Which is a massive shame considering the huge well of talent. That isn't being Captain Hindsight, either. It was well known leading up to that draft that it was extremely deep and talented.

It's even worse when you consider one of the best players the Penguins did manage to pull out of that draft was sent packing just a couple of years later by the new FO.

EVGENIMERLIN

Jun 29, 2009
Los Angeles, CA
The Pens did a pretty crappy job with the 2003 draft.

Which is a massive shame considering the huge well of talent. That isn't being Captain Hindsight, either. It was well known leading up to that draft that it was extremely deep and talented.

It's even worse when you consider one of the best players the Penguins did manage to pull out of that draft was sent packing just a couple of years later by the new FO.

As much as Shero gets blasted on these boards for not stock piling the forward cupboards (which is fair to some degree), the fact that barely any of '03-'09 forwards we did draft panned out adds to our lack of depth.

I look at the picks in 03 and cringe. There was so much talent in those first two rounds and we just dropped the ball.

Big McLargehuge

Fragile Traveler
May 9, 2002
S. Pasadena, CA
The onus falls on the scouts outside of top 5 picks, and Malone's regime was filled with disappointment.

It feels like yesterday that Stone & Filewich were stud prospects and that 2003 draft class was the best in the league. Oof.

EVGENIMERLIN

Jun 29, 2009
Los Angeles, CA
Zolnierczyk-Megna-Conner
Uher-Carman-Kostopoulos
Sylvester-Manderson-Kuhnhackl
Farnham-Payerl-Thompson

For those who watch WBS, are these really the lines? Doesn't seem like much offensive potential at all.

Stecz

Jul 28, 2010
Zolnierczyk-Megna-Conner
Uher-Carman-Kostopoulos
Sylvester-Manderson-Kuhnhackl
Farnham-Payerl-Thompson

For those who watch WBS, are these really the lines? Doesn't seem like much offensive potential at all.

Megna and Kuhn are the two main scoring prospects. Zlobin is currently blowing up the ECHL. There's a few NCAA forwards to come out in the next few years, along with Macaroni. It's really not that bad. Uher projects to be Talbot, pretty much.

BlindWillyMcHurt

ti kallisti
May 31, 2004
I'm assuming (hoping) that Zlobin is only down in Wheeling on a conditioning stint?

My apologies if this was gone over, earlier. I couldn't seem to track it down.

Stecz

Jul 28, 2010
I'm assuming (hoping) that Zlobin is only down in Wheeling on a conditioning stint?

My apologies if this was gone over, earlier. I couldn't seem to track it down.

There was no official reason given, but I think it's partially conditioning and partially to ensure he gets top 6/first powerplay minutes that couldn't be guaranteed in WBS. He's still everyone favourite skilful minded biscuit scorer, don't worry.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad